PDA

View Full Version : New TriCaster codecs posted

SBowie
05-04-2012, 03:17 PM
I just wanted to give a heads up regarding the fact that the new TriCaster SpeedHQ codecs for Windows and OS X platforms have been posted on the registration 'downloads' pages for those of you with XD systems. (It's not intended to limit these new codecs to XD users, just not finished getting it all organized yet).

These are REALLY useful, so go get 'em!

joseburgos
05-07-2012, 11:49 AM
So I rendered a TriCaster MPEG2 file in SE stand alone, to the new .MOV flavor of SpeedHQ using 4.2.2 and it looks great in Quicktime. However in testing on Windows programs, the file tries to introduce an alpha channel that makes the footage look terrible. Loading the .MOV into programs I have the ability to ignore the alpha channel works well and looks great. Programs that don't have the ability to ignore alpha or make alpha solid, it can not be used.
I was able to ignore alpha in Fusion, AE and Premiere but not in SE.

I'll run some test with clips that actually have an alpha channel in them to see how well they work since I will not be able to ignore the alpha in this case.

Take care,

SBowie
05-07-2012, 12:40 PM
So I rendered a TriCaster MPEG2 file in SE stand alone, to the new .MOV flavor of SpeedHQ using 4.2.2 and it looks great in Quicktime. However in testing on Windows programs, the file tries to introduce an alpha channel that makes the footage look terrible.Yes, I discovered this myself and bugged it earlier this morning, Josť. There may be a couple of factors, but it's being actively pursued today.

p.s. - we saw something similar to this about a month ago, and at that time I noticed that it didn't happen when you rendered to 32bit files. You might be able to do that successfully while we sort this out.

joseburgos
05-07-2012, 12:47 PM
I figure that from some past issues with SpeedHQ and Fusion but good to know Steve.

Take care,

SBowie
05-07-2012, 01:24 PM
OK, I'll update this post as soon as possible, but for the moment - if you haven't already downloaded the new codec installer, and your need isn't pressing, you might as well hold off until a replacement is posted.

joseburgos
05-07-2012, 01:49 PM
One other thing, when I import the .MOV into Premiere CS5 and drop it on the time line, the audio is embedded with the video and not under the video track as is normal with a video clip that has audio embedded in it.
The audio does play correctly though.

SBowie
05-07-2012, 02:01 PM
Interesting, haven't seen this in other NLEs. I wouldn't expect this to change, really, but maybe you'll find that Premiere has an option or utility that allows it to be treated/viewed separately.

joseburgos
05-07-2012, 02:55 PM
Well I found the audio track, it's in audio track five. I just needed to scroll down to find it :)
This was really bugging me because I did not think it was possible to be in the video track.

Also rendering using 4.2.2.with alpha does not work as a FYI. Clip properties in Premiere say it has alpha either format.

SBowie
05-07-2012, 03:01 PM
Also rendering using 4.2.2.with alpha does not work as a FYI. Clip properties in Premiere say it has alpha either format.I'm not sure I'm following, Josť, sorry. What I meant was to use the 4:2:2:4 codec, rather than the 4:2:2 one. It should not demonstrate the same problem as far as I know.

joseburgos
05-07-2012, 03:10 PM
That is what I'm saying, the 4:2:2:4 did not work as well Sir. And in clip properties, the 4:2:2 format says it has an alpha is what I wanted to point out as well as the 4:2:2:4 format.

I think its best if I take it to a bug report to better serve the fix, right?

SBowie
05-07-2012, 03:22 PM
I think its best if I take it to a bug report to better serve the fix, right?The two problems that I reported this morning are fixed as of now - just tested them. A replacement should be online shortly (I'll update this note when it happens). I'd re-test after that, thanks Josť,

joseburgos
05-07-2012, 03:41 PM
No problem

SBowie
05-07-2012, 04:07 PM
That is what I'm saying, the 4:2:2:4 did not work as well Sir. Was that an SE render, or some other app?

joseburgos
05-07-2012, 04:09 PM
Se

SBowie
05-07-2012, 04:23 PM
Maybe try rendering with a different app...

SBowie
05-08-2012, 12:44 PM
The updated download is online.

John Perkins
05-08-2012, 12:52 PM
SE2.5 and earlier had a bug with rendering through Quicktime. I've fixed it :goodluck: and we're testing now.

joseburgos
05-09-2012, 12:02 PM
The new Quicktime codec is working, thanks :thumbsup:

PS Can't wait to test John :)

SBowie
05-09-2012, 12:27 PM
Ya know what's even more awesome? Simply recording a bunch of live footage using your TriCaster 455 or 855, dropping those files directly onto a timeline in FCP with no conversion, and hitting Play. :D

It's also very cool to be able to render to 4:2:2:4 SpeedHQ directly out of Apple Motion, finally laying to rest one of the great question of the ages ("What Quicktime codec with an alpha channel should I choose for playback on my TriCaster?")

(To be clear hear, the first item above does not require installation of the new TriCaster codecs for OS X; The second does).

joseburgos
05-09-2012, 12:38 PM
And for me, the ability to have time code on .MOV from 455 or 855 and be is the best news I ever had :)

Next is for the SpeedHQ codec to pass time code...wishing...hoping...

joseburgos
05-09-2012, 12:40 PM
It's also very cool to be able to render to 4:2:2:4 SpeedHQ directly out of Apple Motion, finally laying to rest one of the great question of the ages ("What Quicktime codec with an alpha channel should I choose for playback on my TriCaster?")

Yes that is very welcome indeed :)

SBowie
05-09-2012, 12:58 PM
Next is for the SpeedHQ codec to pass time code...wishing...hoping...Quicktime SpeedHQ files rendered in FCP appear to retain timecode (SE doesn't seem to recognize it, or write it for that matter, but I suppose that's an SE thing).

joseburgos
05-09-2012, 01:04 PM
Nice :)

I wonder and I'll need to test, does a AVI recording in TriCaster retain recorded time code? And if it does, then this codec would allow one to open in OSX and view the video with time code, right?

kanep
05-09-2012, 01:16 PM
I can verify that Quicktime+SpeedHQ exported and imported out of Media Composer 6 does retain timecode.

joseburgos
05-09-2012, 01:32 PM
Very good news but the home run is a AVI recording from the TriCaster. I'll test this out later today but this is all very promising stuff :)

Thanks guys

SBowie
05-09-2012, 01:33 PM
... does a AVI recording in TriCaster retain recorded time code?Sadly, as a rule AVI's don't include embedded timecode (DV timecode is an exception). This isn't a TriCaster thing, it's a VfW thing.

joseburgos
05-09-2012, 01:33 PM
Very good news but the home run is a AVI recording from the TriCaster. I'll test this out later today but this is all very promising stuff :)

Thanks guys

And I only say its a home run for people that only have a 450 or 850 Extreme.

joseburgos
05-09-2012, 01:35 PM
Yeah I kind of knew that but you guys have whipped up some cool stuff in the past so I was wishful :)

Still cool codec, thanks.

bryanharley
08-14-2012, 04:58 PM
The codec pack for OSX will not install on my iMac (mid-2011, running Lion) for some reason. I run the installer and it doesn't give me a confirmation that it finished, so I checked the Quicktime codec library and don't see the new codecs. TC855 .mov encoded files won't play in Quicktime player. Premiere shows video but no audio.

I don't think the codec pack installer is working. Anyone else have this problem? Solutions?

SBowie
08-14-2012, 06:28 PM
Maybe try repairing permissions?

bryanharley
08-15-2012, 02:54 PM
I tried the codec pack installer on several of our iMacs. The installer claims it will place the codecs in the "Library/Quicktime" directory, however I check it and it only contains AppleIntermediateCodec.component and AppleMPEG2Codec.component, which were there to begin with.

I called NewTek support and they said they can't send me the .component files directly. Said no other customers have had this problem.

Any ideas? Or can anyone send me the .component files?

SBowie
08-15-2012, 03:17 PM
And you are not running Mountain Lion?

bryanharley
08-15-2012, 03:35 PM
Running Lion.

SBowie
08-15-2012, 03:38 PM
Did you go ahead and try fixing permissions?

bryanharley
08-15-2012, 03:42 PM
Yessir, no change after repairing permissions.

This codec pack is needed to view the TC855's Quicktime files on a Mac running Premiere Pro, correct? Because when I import the file to Premiere I get video, but a blank audio track.

SBowie
08-15-2012, 03:57 PM
Yessir, no change after repairing permissions.

This codec pack is needed to view the TC855's Quicktime files on a Mac running Premiere Pro, correct? Because when I import the file to Premiere I get video, but a blank audio track.You know, that's a very good question. It actually does not matter in that case. The codecs let you read and write SpeedHQ Quicktimes, but they probably won't have any bearing on your issue, assuming you are using Quicktimes recorded on an 855.

I could say quite a bit about this, but instead I'll simply say that changes are in the works that I suspect will very likely mean you will be able to record in a format that is supported in your app without add-on codecs.

(p.s., it's possible that you do not have permission issues, but still lack rights to write to the required location. I've been fighting something like this all afternoon on my own system. I saw no permission issues, but only belatedly discovered that this was because I didn't have blanket read/write permission in the first place. When I fixed that, all of a sudden there is no shortage of permission problems!)

bryanharley
08-15-2012, 04:03 PM
Yep, these are Quicktime .mov's recorded from the TC855. Video, but no audio in Premiere Pro CS5.5 on a Mac running Lion.

Wasn't the big selling point of the 455/855 the Quicktime recording so you can easily edit on both PC and Mac, no transcoding? This is frustrating. It's an 850 Extreme that was updated to an 855, dunno if that has any bearing?

SBowie
08-16-2012, 12:10 PM
Yep, these are Quicktime .mov's recorded from the TC855. Video, but no audio in Premiere Pro CS5.5 on a Mac running Lion.Rats - I just realized I've misstated some of this.

From the Apple website: "Note: On OS X Lion and later, MPEG-2 playback functionality is built into QuickTime X. The QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component is not required and cannot be installed." Now, in point of fact, the shipping version of 855 records in a Quicktime format that is acceptable to this native (finally, yay!) OS X support for MPEG-2. Some builds of the as-yet unreleased 5b update - only - write a different file, as I mentioned. But I don't think you'd have that.

Assuming you are running the shipping TriCaster version you should not need an additional codec. (There is one known exception, due to a recent bug in a different NLE, which was the reason for my befuddled state yesterday.) :(

That said, I see at a quick glance a number of threads in Apple support forums where people encountered issues with MPEG-2 playback on Lion. This may actually be the problem. I've just successfully tested the standard files on FCP, Quicktime and MC on my Mac. We've also just tested them in Premiere 5.5 under Windows with no problem, so one assumes it's not an Adobe issue. If you want to bother, you could send me a short clip for testing, so I can see if it plays here or not.

p.s. - seems obvious, but from an abundance of caution ... you'll want to make sure you aren't simply recording levels so low you're not seeing them in PP.

SBowie
08-16-2012, 02:13 PM
More news, of sorts ....

When discussing this here, someone realized it's only audio that is misbehaving here, and I've just been told there is a problem in Premiere that is only apparent with clips with 4 channel audio. In that case, Premiere plays the 'back' two channels only ... meaning that if your sound is only on the front two, nada. No-one here is sure why one of the CS5.5 installations we have here doesn't seem to have this issue. (You might be able to investigate this by recording a clip with audio on the back channels.)

bryanharley
08-16-2012, 02:33 PM
OK, some developments... but still no solution.

I discovered the SpeedHQ codecs did install, just in the user/~/library/quicktime folder, which is hidden on Lion. But as you stated, these codecs don't make a difference.

The TC855 recordings will play in Quicktime X and 7 just fine, video and audio. However I still only get video and a blank audio track in Premiere Pro CS5.5. I tried the playing the file in CS 5.0 and works perfectly.

bryanharley
08-16-2012, 02:35 PM
Just read your latest post, I'll investigate. Thanks for the tip.

SBowie
08-16-2012, 03:12 PM
We've reported this to Adobe, but it would seem a touch optimistic to expect an immediate result from that.

bryanharley
08-16-2012, 03:58 PM
How do I record audio to the back two channels? I don't see any options in the record configuration window.

SBowie
08-16-2012, 05:07 PM
How do I record audio to the back two channels? I don't see any options in the record configuration window.There aren't any. You'll need to supply audio to the 3rd and 4th input connectors in your audio input sections for this little experiment.

bryanharley
08-17-2012, 07:07 PM
OK, I recorded audio on all 4 channels and still nothing in Premiere CS 5.5. So it's not that. The file won't even open in Final Cut Pro X, it says, "Not an importable file."

Here's the file if you want to try it on your end (we're a public access station, feel free to laugh). http://cmacfresno.org/tc855/test.mov

SBowie
08-17-2012, 08:16 PM
I'll certainly check it out. I have no trouble opening the standard TriCaster .mov's in FCPX or AVID MC (or Quicktime player, or for that matter, iMovie) ... done it countless times. Something odd going on here. :(

bryanharley
08-20-2012, 07:10 PM
Have a chance to try out that file?

SBowie
08-21-2012, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the reminder. I have no trouble hearing audio in FCPX or the Quicktime player on my Mac. Seems like your issue is an MPEG codec one ...

bryanharley
08-25-2012, 09:28 PM
I've tried the TC855 Quicktime files on five different iMacs in our office. Isn't it more likely that the problem lies with the files the TC855 is recording and not all five of our computers?

What version of OSX were you running on your Mac where my file played OK in FCPX? Do you have any extra codec packs installed on that machine?

SBowie
08-26-2012, 07:15 AM
I've tried the TC855 Quicktime files on five different iMacs in our office. Isn't it more likely that the problem lies with the files the TC855 is recording and not all five of our computers?

What version of OSX were you running on your Mac where my file played OK in FCPX? Do you have any extra codec packs installed on that machine?I have the NewTek codec pack installed, of course, but apart from that, nothing. I'm currently running Mountain Lion. but it worked with the previous OS version as well.

Any other 455/855 users out there who don't hear audio on their Mac's with TC Quicktime files?

Scarletlancer
10-13-2012, 07:32 AM

I'm not sure if I'm being a bit thick here. I have installed the codecs on my machine running OS X Lion and opened up Motion 5, should I be seeing a newtek preset in the export movie area of the share menu? Do I need to do anything else to get to this stage?

SBowie
10-13-2012, 07:37 AM
I don't have Motion on a system at home, and it was a little while ago that I tried this, so I'm a bit fuzzy on the details. It may (emphasis on "may") have required a preset (droplet) created in Compressor, which Motion could then use, not 100% sure just now. (That's what you need to do from FCPX).