PDA

View Full Version : Curve node? Dox?

jeric_synergy
05-04-2012, 03:00 PM
Didn't get any hits in "S&R" for "Curve node". Nor in "LW11 Addendum".

Also none in "search all PDFs in folder".

Could someone please tell me where the dox for "Curve node" might be found?

Thanks.

sandman300
05-04-2012, 03:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ8kC7nIRdQ

jeric_synergy
05-04-2012, 03:25 PM
Thanks.

A pity, cuz I learn best from text.

jeric_synergy
05-04-2012, 06:07 PM
It's kind of a big deal that it's so "hard to find", that is, apparently not in the dox at all. That Proton made a video about it hardly excuses the lapse.

And again: it's not that it maybe is there, it's that an experienced user can't find it-- what's a noob going to do?

It should both be there AND easy to locate.

sandman300
05-04-2012, 10:48 PM
In 11.0.1 of you hit F1 for the online dox (for me at least it is still listed as Lightwave 10 help file but might have to do with how I installed the software). and do a search for "curve node" it is the first entry.

jeric_synergy
05-05-2012, 12:46 AM
Hmmmm.... so, it's written already, by NewTek, but it's not in the PDFs. --Why? (sandman, semi-rhetorical question.)

OK, now that I'm thru beyotching about the PDFs and Curve Node: While more convenient (hooorah!) than the Gradient UI, what advantages does the Curve Node have over the Gradient Node?

The most conspicuous seems to be the spline control of the curves. Anything else?

sandman300
05-05-2012, 09:06 AM
As far as i know that is pretty much it. The curve node does exactly the same thing as the gradient node but you have finer control.

jeric_synergy
05-05-2012, 09:29 AM
In the node system, there are inputs to functionalities that are all or nothing, such as Blending Modes.

Since there are >2 blending modes, how are numeric inputs interpreted by the node to specify which of the 14 possible selections is desired?

sandman300
05-05-2012, 09:44 AM
The only thing that really makes sense to me is a constant value (integer) between 0 and 13. I think the input is there so blending modes can be set on multiple nodes at the same time.

jeric_synergy
05-05-2012, 09:56 AM
Found it: page 64 in S&R.

Doesn't seem to be reflected in the UI as you scrub the timeline. Dang.

sandman300
05-05-2012, 10:35 AM
Are you trying to animate the blending mode? I don't see how that could work.

jeric_synergy
05-05-2012, 11:03 AM
Are you trying to animate the blending mode? I don't see how that could work.
It works just fine. Enveloped scaler input. 0=normal, 13=blue.

probiner
05-05-2012, 11:28 AM
Curve node is the best when it comes to get fine control on the transition between values. You got 4 options with Gradient node and that's it...

Only issues I have with this node are:
- you can't input a color on a key frame with the usual color picker, you have to fiddle around with R G B graphs :S
- It's not the common Graph Editor. You don't have TCB and the way you get discontinous curves on keyframes is strange (Lock CP off)

But to be honest I mostly Use it to modulate grayscale values, which can the be input to a gradient node and then I'll choose colors easier if I need them.

Cheers

sandman300
05-05-2012, 11:32 AM
All I'm saying is that blending modes were not designed to be enveloped. If for some reason you needed to animate a change between blending modes, it would be better to use something like the mixer node. You'll get more predictable results.

jeric_synergy
05-05-2012, 11:40 AM
If an artist wants to do something, it's best to just let them do it.

lino.grandi
05-06-2012, 05:00 AM
All I'm saying is that blending modes were not designed to be enveloped. If for some reason you needed to animate a change between blending modes, it would be better to use something like the mixer node. You'll get more predictable results.

I agree 100%. " Animating" the blending mode would result in a sudden one frame change.

jeric_synergy
05-06-2012, 08:13 AM
There's plenty of abrupt changes in video. Everytime someone uses a strobe light, for god's sake, it's a sudden one frame change. @^@

sandman300
05-07-2012, 07:27 PM
If an artist wants to do something, it's best to just let them do it.

Just out of curiosity, what is it your trying to do by animating the blending mode?

jeric_synergy
05-07-2012, 11:54 PM
I'm not actually trying to do anything: but SOMEWHERE, SOMETIME, SOMEBODY crazy will find a reason to do so, and it'll look great, and we'll all stand around thinking "how the hell did s/he think of doing that???"

It's happened enough in my life that I just roll with it: real artists do the damndest things. (I am not an artist, just a technician.)