PDA

View Full Version : Stasys - New Webisodic Project! Need your support!

djlithium
05-04-2012, 02:56 PM
Hi there!
Sorry for not being around as of late. That will change now that I'm coming out of the middle of another project and clean my slate off to begin the work on Stasys.

Ok so what is Stasys you ask and why am I posting about it in here?
Well, you can find out more info here immediately at http://www.indiegogo.com/stasys-series and if you can throw a few bucks even the 2 dollar or 5 dollar donations really help as its about total number of contributors rather than dollar amounts at the moment. This is very important because of the way that indiegogo works. The more single contributors to a project in the first 48 hours of launch is more important than the dollars raised during that time because it ensures the placement of the project high in their current projects list on their site. This will give the campaign a larger chance for success right out of the gate exposing it to a much broader audience (ie those outside of the LW community and my personal network).

Now what is Stasys?

In short though, Stasys is to be a fully CG, Stereoscopic webisodic series based on a feature film script I wrote between 2008 and 2011 before hopping onto Iron SKy. I wanted to put Stasys into production last year but with Iron Sky taking up most of my life during that time while in Finland it wasn't possible. I also needed some time to collect the needed technology together and do some initial tests to verify a few things when it came to the pipeline.

There are two main reasons why I am doing this. First, I want to make this show because I feel its a good story and those who have read it agree and also want to see it made. Several members of the LightWave community are backing this already and a solid team is forming behind it. Do you want to be a part of it?
Second, after coming off of Iron Sky and being exposed to how they financed and promoted the production I believe its entirely possible to do something very similar with Stasys and maintain creative control. It is possible to do this and at the same time maximize its potential without the interference of a studio or some executive who doesn't understand the genre, the technology or much else - playing god with something they really don't care about. Remember cool shows like Firefly? Space: Above and Beyond? All killed by moron executives. Not going to happen this time around because there is no "network" to deal with. It's a brave new world out there and its ours for the taking.

There is also one more reason which is related directly to LightWave and the LW community itself. This is perhaps the most important part.

Stasys is an opportunity for LightWave to be shown off in all of the aspects of 3D, by its users. Not just VFX or flying space ships around but the entire range of what it can do and what it can be used for. My goal here is to work with the community to show the rest of the world what LightWave can do and the best of the best rise to the top and continue on with the production to make the full series beyond what was the original feature film I wrote. It's time for the entire LightWave community to push back against the negativity that we have been thrown by users of other apps, studios who turn us away for work because we want to work with LW and not some autoplex product. You know what I'm talking about.
It's time to turn the tables around. LightWave is perfectly suited to do this. We all know it, now lets prove it.

While there is an Indiegogo campaign behind this to raise initial funds for the project - this is a commercial venture.
Meaning simply that it is my intention to make money off of this and those who participate directly in the making of the pilot and then later the series stand to as well. I will get into how this works soon but not in this post.

So, if you can support the project with a few dollars that's awesome and you will be investing back into the community as that money will recycle back into the hands of those who contribute in the form of art work. Make sure to check out the perks I have made on the indiegogo site at http://www.indiegogo.com/stasys-series
There are many ways people can help out with the production and its not always going to come down to cold hard cash.
Soon I will be poking the board here looking for hard surface modelers, texture artists, lighters and C.A. types and more who can assist with the production of the pilot.
If you are unable to contribute in this manner, don't worry. There will still be a benefit to you and the community as a whole in general.
I will get into this in further announcements and updates on the boards. I must stress though that a lot of LightWave users don't think they have the chops to make it in a production environment. While this may be true for some users, for the most part this is nonsense. You need to believe in yourself if you want to work in this industry and for some all it takes is a bit of exposure to the process and a chance. I can list off numerous examples including myself when it comes to this and now its time for me to turn around and assist those who are willing - into the same position. From there the sky is the limit.

Everyone knows how much I love LightWave3D and this community and I am doing this project to give us all a boost in our confidence to compete and thrive out there as artists by producing a platform to do just that. Show off what we can do, by making something more than just eye candy.

More details soon!
You can find out more at www.liberty3d.com (http://www.liberty3d.com)
and of course that campaign page is again http://www.indiegogo.com/stasys-series

Get your resumes out and dust off your reels. There is work to be done.

Kat

adamgibson
05-04-2012, 08:26 PM
I'm on board Kat!! I'm ready to model some cool stuff for the project:)

kevman3d
05-04-2012, 08:32 PM
Cool! If I can squeeze in some time, I'm more then happy to help out as well! Looks like a great project... :thumbsup:

djlithium
05-05-2012, 12:03 AM
Thanks guys! I will be putting together a list of things that will be needed for the initial pre-production phase and post it here and on L3D until the Stasys site is up.

jameswillmott
05-05-2012, 12:10 AM
Looking forward to being involved with this!

chco2
05-05-2012, 01:08 AM
Hey Kat!

Looking forward to contribute any which way I can!

Cheers,
Charly

rednova
05-05-2012, 07:27 AM
Hi:

i want to help too !!! I am intermediate with lightwave.

rednova

djlithium
05-06-2012, 10:31 PM
Thanks for your support guys! We have raised almost 400 bucks in 3 days now so we are off to a good start. I would like to break the 1000.00 mark by the end of the week if possible and then hopefully it will start to gain traction with people outside of the 3D community in general.
Sometime this week I will be posting a list of things the show will need built for the pilot so stay tuned and thanks for supporting Stasys!
http://www.indiegogo.com/stasys-series

djlithium
05-09-2012, 12:49 AM
Ok this is starting to pick up some speed. Check it out http://www.liberty3d.com/2012/05/stasys-update-almost-1000-raised/

In addition to that a lot of people are starting to send in resumes and demoreel links.
If you want to send them in now, you can do so at [email protected] declarationpictures. com (remove the spaces).
Please don't send large files, just PDFs of your resume and skill sets and links to your reels. Even if you are just starting out in 3D I want to hear from you.

Kat

rcallicotte
05-09-2012, 05:26 AM
Hope to be of some use. I'm still very green, in my own opinion.

OnlineRender
05-09-2012, 06:00 AM
a lot of banding due to compression

erikals
05-09-2012, 06:16 AM
any concept sketches?...

erikals
05-09-2012, 10:13 AM
  
for digital doubles consider Agisoft PhotoScan Standard - $180
http://www.agisoft.ru/products/photoscan/standard

for clothes, Marvelous Designer - $200
http://www.marvelousdesigner.com/Marvelous/Product.aspx
  

djlithium
05-09-2012, 12:44 PM
Hey Erikals.
You are actually a mind reader. Someone put me onto Agisoft a while ago and it looks incredibly promising but I haven't had enough time to sit down with it since checking it it out a few months ago. Marvelous designer on the other thand is something I would very much like to go with for sure. It really depends on its stability which I have been told depending on whats being thrown at it- is touch and go.

erikals
05-09-2012, 11:16 PM
i haven't tried it myself just yet, but from 3D objects i've seen (3D objects inside a pdf) it's surprisingly good. Marvelous Designer, haven't tried that one either,.. :] i read too much i guess... ;]

another read, have you seen the Blackmagic cinema camera?
comes out in July, might be interesting but i guess it depends on production start.
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=127904
(doesn't shoot 3D though, but there are setups that allow for this, like Aero 3D rig or Redrock Micro, renting is an option)
http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?66849-3D-Scarlet-Rig-Lowest-Cost-Solution-Impossible-Under-25K&p=870003&viewfull=1#post870003

Aero 3D - http://www.aquavideo.com/press/AquaVideoAero3DPressrelease.pdf
Redrock Micro - http://vimeo.com/24150434

  

djlithium
05-09-2012, 11:22 PM
It's a fully CG project so the only thing we will really be 'shooting' with is UberCam 2.0 :)

erikals
05-09-2012, 11:47 PM
ah,... http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/047.gif

alright, here are some Agisoft PhotoScan examples in 3D (open in Acrobat 8 /9 or higher)
(right-click to view wireframe)
 

djlithium
05-10-2012, 12:57 AM
Very cool stuff. I have to get more time to sit down with it and practice on people's heads :)

erikals
05-10-2012, 01:57 AM
seems to be used on this project,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU3R0oQhkGE

more scanning info > http://www.ir-ltd.net/

> James Busby is the number 1 LW character modeler \:]
http://www.ten24.info/index.php/shop/3d-head-scans/james-head-scan-60/
(oh,... and Lee Perry-Smith)

 

Netvudu
05-10-2012, 04:30 AM
At any rate you should at least contact Lee Perry-Smith if you are into scanning people´s head, if only because he already owns thousands of hours of R&D and he´s quite ahead on the game.
He also knows Lightwave if I´m not wrong, which is a plus.

On the software side, how does Agisoft´s Photoscan compare to (in)famours Autodesk´s 123D? Anybody knows?

erikals
05-10-2012, 06:01 AM
(not sure how it matches up with AD 123D) http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/question.gif

posted some more info on PhotoScan here,
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?p=1243835

 

Greenlaw
05-10-2012, 12:25 PM
Hi Kat,

Re: Marvelous Designer 3, it's pretty cool. The modeling tools are easy to learn and use and the results with dynamics looks quite good. MD imports a character mesh, bones animation via Collada or mesh animation via .mdd, and exports the clothing mesh with .mdd to use in other apps like Lightwave. So far, I've only dabbled with MD at home but I'm planning to use it for characters in the next film we do after we finish our current movie project.

There is one potential 'drawback' to using MD in production: you will need to model all your clothing within the program, and you cannot use existing clothing assets modeled in other 3D programs. This is necessary because MD is a 'real world' clothing design simulator and the dynamics system expects its virtual fabric to be properly cut and 'sewn' exactly the way it would be done in the real world--all imported meshes are treated as rigid objects (besides characters that is, which are only deformable by bones and .mdd.) This is not really a limitation with the program when you consider that MD was originally created for artists designing garments for the fashion industry, but it is something to be aware of when planning a project.

Re: Stasys, I already congratulated you and your team at another forum but I'll do it again here: my best wishes for the project and I'm looking forward to seeing it when completed! :)

G.

djlithium
05-19-2012, 01:32 PM
Hi Kat,

Re: Marvelous Designer 3, it's pretty cool. The modeling tools are easy to learn and use and the results with dynamics looks quite good. MD imports a character mesh, bones animation via Collada or mesh animation via .mdd, and exports the clothing mesh with .mdd to use in other apps like Lightwave. So far, I've only dabbled with MD at home but I'm planning to use it for characters in the next film we do after we finish our current movie project.

There is one potential 'drawback' to using MD in production: you will need to model all your clothing within the program, and you cannot use existing clothing assets modeled in other 3D programs. This is necessary because MD is a 'real world' clothing design simulator and the dynamics system expects its virtual fabric to be properly cut and 'sewn' exactly the way it would be done in the real world--all imported meshes are treated as rigid objects (besides characters that is, which are only deformable by bones and .mdd.) This is not really a limitation with the program when you consider that MD was originally created for artists designing garments for the fashion industry, but it is something to be aware of when planning a project.

Re: Stasys, I already congratulated you and your team at another forum but I'll do it again here: my best wishes for the project and I'm looking forward to seeing it when completed! :)

G.

Hey GreenLaw!
thanks for the well wishes, they are very much appreciated. I'm just about to head into the studio today and spend the long weekend working on "Stasys".
With regards to marvelous designer, I did a lot of research regarding it and I believe that it may be the best way to get the realistic clothing I want even if I have to make it in MD and do the sims there as well. I really want this to look high end. While I may not do every single shot in MD, its certainly going to be utilized.
Odd, in all of my bag of tricks I know clothing construction having done that in my teens starting out making BMX clothes, safety gear for skaters and BMX riders (shin guards, thick canvas shorts for flatlanders to help protect myself from the parts on the bikes we had for example) and later making extra cash making prom dresses for girls in high school (made really big money doing this) and helping my mom make costumes for her dancing students when she had a school. Yeah I know....Weird huh?
I have also showed marvelous designer to my niece who just completed fashion school and she was floored they were not teaching it in her course and she has picked it up and a few other girls I know here have been working in it since it released which was a it of a shock to me because thats how I found out about it originally - so I think I will have it covered. My concern is that it looks like I will need to pick up a graphics card specifically for this and to help accelerate the solves with Ipisoft DMC, but that has to happen anyway.

If it becomes a clusterscrew though, I have an alternative solution using an old-school technique (which happens to be near real time in most cases) that i will fall back to for the clothing sims.

djlithium
05-19-2012, 01:34 PM
Oh yeah, another quick note! We pasted the 1600.00 USD mark last night for funds raised. Thats almost 10% of our goal and we have a bit of time left. I'm crossing my paws we will meet the goal and with a little bit of help from people passing the link around and throwing in a few bucks (even 2 bucks helps because it makes the project more visible on the indiegogo site - attracting outside contributors who have nothing to do with the LW or 3D community) we will get there. Thanks for your support and encouragement!

djlithium
05-19-2012, 02:02 PM
One additional note, this is part of a repost from another thread.

For the stereoscopic side of the show, part of the reason why I have decided to go completely CG (costs being one of them) is that I can have absolute control over the stereoscopic process and we will be using UberCam2.0 (in beta now) for this. UberCam2.0 supports all the stereo functions of the stereocamera from UberCam 1.9, works as well if not better in some ways than the LW stereoscopic solution and will send an F9 render directly to a quadbuffered stereoscopic display/video card solution (in this case a FirePro 3900 or higher graphics card using HDMI 1.4a as the transport of course and then routed to an LG LED 3D 47" TV) so I can check things every step of the way. During our development of UberCam 2.0 we have come up with a special formula to ensure awesome stereoscopic results EVERY TIME, while still giving you manual control. It's so easy to use now its awesome!

I will be in the office this weekend working on Stasys and hope to have some stereo tests up soon. Believe it or not, because youtube supports 4K resolutions as source material (yes, 4K! the only online video service in the world that does this) it may be possible for us to use that per eye.

Just to clarify that means 4K resolution per eye making for an 7992x2160 resolution stereoscopic format (double wide renders are how UberCam works for stereoscopic). Obviously its all going to be about render times, but even if we don't do 4K renders on our end the minimum output for each eye will be digital cinema 2K 1998x1080 (1:89 aspect ratio). I'm not going any lower than that.

This means that when it gets hit by the youtube compression, the more, accurate pixels it gets fed into their encoders, the better the output for viewing at their stepped down resolutions below 1080p will be.

The results are going to be clean, bright and enjoyable to look at and this is why we have spent almost a year developing UberCam2.0 and are going with LightWave for the rendering solution (along with just about everything else along the way). The compositing process will be minimal and I won't stand for the render being beating to shizen in that stage. I have seen and worked on so many shows over the last 7 years where this takes place and kills the quality and its not going to happen on Stasys. The goal is to make it as photorealistic as possible out of the box with LightWave and I know I can get it there with the support of the community and the involvement of great artists from it.
So thank you for your support!

Kat

djlithium
06-15-2012, 06:01 PM
Ok here is one of our stereoscopic tests posted on youtube to show the process works and works very nicely.
Special Thanks to Tobian for letting us use his Alpha Base set for the time being for some of these stereoscopic tests.

http://www.indiegogo.com/stasys-series?c=gallery&a=513611

Best way to view this is obviously on a 3D TV, but youtube pretty much supports any of the popular formats for display out there.
For the moment I'm simply putting on the polarized glasses on the LG3D TV and leaving the 3D mode off on that but using "Interlaced, Row" on youtube! Works like a charm!

My HTC Evo4 3D phone displays in S3D automatically and it looks brilliant!

Enjoy (only 200 frames of 500 so far and when I get a moment I will comp it properly as this was just a quicky!)

Rendered in LW11.0.1 with Liberty3D.com's UberCam 2.0 (Beta).

djlithium
06-22-2012, 01:38 AM
Ok another quick update here. I have met again with Eric Chu and he's on board for concept design, with his schedule permitting of course.

This means that we will have concept material coming and its an opportunity for LightWavers out there to get a chance to build something that comes from Eric's brain based on input from me. I'm not placing a lot of restrictions on Eric's design except those which are story points in the script for ARK 17, the ship where a bulk of the story takes place so its going to be very interesting to see what he comes up with and an awesome challenge to the modeling team and another volunteers who want to take a stab at various designs in 3D.

I know several of you have been emailing me asking for more details about what is needed, but part of the delay was on my end with my current day job and my wanting to meet with Eric again before letting you guys know that he's on board. Because of Eric's schedule as well as mine, things will be seemingly slow to progress initially but there is a lot going on in the background and we step forward every day.
We also got a bit of a boost with our fund raising today and are now almost at 3000 dollars in total raised which is good. We have almost all the additional software tools required in place now with a few odds and ends out standing but we are almost there and from here on in the rest o the funds raised goes to the legal stuff and pooling the cash to get the actors photographed, modeled, and anything else we need. Once we reach a certain point money raised will be going to pay the modelers and VFX artists something for their time. The plan being that once we have our initial teaser out and continue on with the pilot episode, those involved will continue on with others joining on - yet those who are involved at the earlier stages will have larger opportunities down the road including revenue sharing.

I can't get into too much detail right now on that front because its still being structured and there are other legal things that need to be dealt with that impact that, however I want those involved to not just get credit, but paid for their efforts, building onwards and upwards.

Thank you for your support and help in bringing Stasys to life!

erikals
07-16-2012, 05:51 AM
 
more interesting Marvelous Designer info...

http://forums.newtek.com/showpost.php?p=1256262&postcount=11
 

littlewaves
11-01-2012, 06:49 AM
So what's the Status of Stasys now the indiegogo drive is over?

djlithium
11-02-2012, 03:38 PM
So what's the Status of Stasys now the indiegogo drive is over?

Well first thing is we will be sending out the PDF and printed script (the original draft of the film which gives you the story line in short, but its all really changed now after major script revisions and a full on new start to the show, plus being split into webisode format) perks to people sometime this weekend. We will have another fund raiser shortly after we get some other work done on our transmedia componets to the universe. We are getting some help on this front from some other LightWavers who are not as active on here as they probably should be, but we really appreciate it regardless.

What we really need right now are a couple more really really solid ship and set construction people and some Zbrush2LightWave types who can help with the character stuff.

Any volunteers out there, please email me at [email protected] stasys.tv (remove the space of course).

Thank you everyone for your support!

erikals
11-04-2012, 04:59 PM
i guess you guys are beyond this point, but the $150 ReconstructMe can be used for good reference models

http://reconstructme.net
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZZqffZkOw0

Philbert
11-06-2012, 03:35 AM
I like ReconstructMe, unfortunately the latest version stopped working for me.

erikals
11-06-2012, 05:07 AM
hm, that sucks... :\

Kinect Fusion is out "soon" though, and free >
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?131561-Kinect-Fusion-comes-to-the-Kinect-SDK-3D-Scanning-here-we-come!

Philbert
11-06-2012, 05:58 AM
My problem might be drivers. The annoying thing about working with Kinect is that every app you use seems to have different drivers so you have install them every time you want to use a different app. That Kinect Fusion talks about Kinect For Windows. I wonder how the quality compares to use regular Kinect.

safarifx
11-07-2012, 06:57 AM
@ djlithium

good luck ! if i can do something...ping at me...pn or mail...([email protected])

snip safx

Julez4001
02-19-2015, 01:09 AM
Whatever happen to Stasys?

vonpietro
02-19-2015, 01:40 AM
https://www.indiegogo.com/stasys-series

its not finding the webpage. FYI as of feb 2/19 midnight cali time

djwaterman
02-19-2015, 01:54 AM
Probably the latest info is here.

https://www.facebook.com/stasysseries

vonpietro
02-19-2015, 02:04 AM
ya, original post was 2003. =)
did they ever get funding?

littlewaves
02-19-2015, 03:55 AM
ya, original post was 2003. =)
did they ever get funding?

I think you're looking at the wrong number.

2003 is djlithium's join date
2012 was the first post!

erikals
02-19-2015, 04:48 AM
some info here >
http://www.declarationpictures.com/productsandservices/productions/stasys-the-series

but yep, last info seems to be here >

djlithium
02-19-2015, 12:42 PM
some info here >
http://www.declarationpictures.com/productsandservices/productions/stasys-the-series

but yep, last info seems to be here >

We've decided to hold off a bit while we wait for some technology to catch up with my vision of how I want the show to be done. Thankfully we are almost there with advances in Octane for LightWave regarding fiberFX api access which solves our hair/fur issues that until now we were dreading due to speed concerns with LWs native renderer (not to mention the look we wanted).

For those of you who have been paying attention, we are aiming to produce Stasys in VR/AR as well as the regular flat formats. With recent advances in VR by several companies including Oculus, LG, Samsung (GearVR which uses Oculus tech), Sony, Vuzix, Carl Zeiss and Glyph our goal is to make that possible, but in a way that is going to be very interesting. On the Microsoft side, MS has already announced HoloLens which we had somewhat advanced knowledge of to a degree. When you combine those devices with a hungry audience wanting content for it - we feel we have a sizable market to play with on that front.
Other technologies we have been watching and waiting for are the Perception Neuron MoCap solution which debuts March 3rd in SF which is an event I'm trying to get over to as i'm only an hour and a bit away now. It depends on my schedule.

With all of these advances and opportunities we have had to rethink the entire production from every angle and aspect. We have the scripts for 9 episodes done, no problem there. Prelim casting has essentially be done. For now it comes down to a couple of key technologies working themselves out with respect to final consumer release editions where we know things are not going to break and what our target specs are going to be.
That and a studio move is about to happen here shortly right in the middle of a sizable VFX contract we picked up. Needless to say... busy kitty!

=^..^=____!

Greenlaw
02-19-2015, 01:15 PM
For those of you who have been paying attention, we are aiming to produce Stasys in VR/AR...

Wow! This sounds pretty cool. Can't wait to see what you guys do with the tech. So for VR/AR, does this mean you're producing a separate realtime game engine version in addition to a traditionally rendered version? Just trying to wrap my head around the project.

G.

vonpietro
02-19-2015, 01:27 PM
Nice to see your project concept being realized.

the facebook stuff looks great!

djlithium
02-19-2015, 01:45 PM
Wow! This sounds pretty cool. Can't wait to see what you guys do with the tech. So for VR/AR, does this mean you're producing a separate realtime game engine version in addition to a traditionally rendered version? Just trying to wrap my head around the project.

G.

Yeah it's going to be pretty neat providing we can get certain people to play ball. What we are wanting to do is so radically off the wall a lot of people 'don't get it' but there are a few who really do.

I can't get into specifics about how it's going to be rendered on those types of devices just yet. We are in line for Hololens and obviously are looking forward to the next Rift update(s) as well as sample product we are trying to get from a couple of other companies that I can't name at the moment.
The goal is to make the experience look consistent regardless of the device watched on I can tell you that. The reasoning behind this is for our merchandising associated with the shows.

Julez4001
02-19-2015, 02:49 PM
wow...great update.
Anyway we can get that ship image 'uncut" on Facebook page.
Love to have that as a wallpaper.

djlithium
02-19-2015, 03:49 PM
REow! no problem. Emeowl me and I will see if I can dig it up quickly. [email protected] declaration pictures. com (remove the spaces and all that).

Markc
07-21-2016, 02:18 PM
Hey Kat, whatever happened to this project of yours?

djlithium
07-21-2016, 05:25 PM

Hi Mark.
It's still in development....

However what I can say beyond that is this.

I now (we actually, as this is more than just me in terms of the producing team) have an agreement in place from the Belgium Government to provide a Tax Shelter for investors in the production (kind of hard to explain how that works) along with a German co-pro in the wings that are VERY interested in the show and want to take next steps. I have to do a full re-write but I always knew going into this that it would happen during the pre-production cycle after being greenlit.
However that's the next trick. Greenlighting the thing. That will come down to a North American distributor and or financing deal. Something I'm working on as much as I humanly can.

Because of the way co-pros work, I have to find X dollars over here (North America, possibly meaning a canadian, german, belgium co-production) to make it all work in the end even though most of the money will be spent in the other zones. A North American distributor (presale of the film into that territory which I can then take to a commercial bank, or film financer... blah blah blah) is the missing component at the moment. I can actually get the project financed in 48 hours if I had that in place, via a mechanism I've come across recently that I was introduced to by another film maker.

I'm hopeful that in the next month or so I can move forward with the production and get a deal cut that finances the entire thing properly. It looks like we will have to go to a feature film format (which Stasys was originally) instead of a series in order to access those kinds of government funding set ups in Belgium and Germany, but that's not entirely a horrible thing. I can always make sequels and my goal is to produce the show in Immersive 360 VR stereoscopic format that you can watch in VR as it will be completely CG. Yes, conventional formats such as 2K/4K and S3D are planned for you non-VR types out there.. This translates into more than just a "one off" or "just another animated feature film" and it has to be treated a bit differently than your standard issue direct to VOD film.

Let me be clear...This isn't some "few million bucks" production if it goes forward. Right now tentative, sensible budgets are pegged around $XX Million USD (decided to not indicate the number, but it is double digit) even though I could do it for much less than that. This drastically changes how I've had to approach the project.

One of the reasons why its kind of fallen off the radar is that there has been a lot of "doing" in the background that unfortunately I can't talk too much about and it didn't seem approrpiate to "rah rah rah" the show at this time as things have significantly changed. I'm at the limit of what I can say really...Not because its top secret or anything but because I don't want to jinx it. I've come so close so many times with this show to getting it made that I've decided the emotional roller coaster needed to be tamed down a bit and every day something changes that alters its course slightly. I'm going to need every ounce of energy to do the film once it does go foward anyway so I'm kind of building up my energy stores. It will be the hardest thing I have done to date in my career let alone my life and I have no allusions regarding the challenges ahead. Thankfully I have some good, and I mean some REALLY good key people on board.

Anyway - getting a proper deal done that protects the property and ensures the production is on solid footing (getting the right producers on board) is critical and I don't want to do anything half assed. After watching Iron Sky and CARGO production financing, up front and personal - turn into the horrorshows that they became (and still are for some)... I know that I don't want a repeat of anything of the sort on Stasys or any of my other productions. There is no reason to put myself through that kind of nonsense nor the production staff. It's just not done in my world. Like why screw stuff like that up? Do things right, protect your assets and interests and do it right so you can do it again, and again... and again... Hey, I'm no show runner and I know it. So I intend to get the best people I can on board with this who have track record when the time comes so I can focus exclusively on my task which directing the thing (which I may have to give up, we will see).

Some people who I have worked with in the past think I'm some sort of hard *** when it comes to this stuff, but honestly - as the saying goes. Time is money. I don't want to and cannot afford to waste anyone's time and would expect the same in return. In otherwords, don't make a movie unless you have the money (and a plan) and don't ask people to do something you are unwilling to do yourself. Or something to that effect. So that's one of the other reasons why I went silent with the project.
For me this is about doing it right. Maybe I got used to working for NBC, MGM, etc... or something but I kind of believe in the idea of being paid on a regular basis (ie weekly), without having to walk on egg shells wondering if its okay to ask if I will be getting a plane ticket home or not as promised. You know.. that sort of thing?
I shudder actually with the memories of both shows looking back even though I did have some fun. Stasys is still going to be an "indie" low budget film by all accounts, but its not going to come out like that in the end in terms of apperance or presentation and that meant chilling out while I get some things in order. I'm trying to balance out what I have learned in the major studio system with my experiences as an independent. That's not easy to do.
Still, I have made some commitments in the past and I intend on keeping them regarding certain things as much as I possibly can.

For example...I want to keep the show as LW oriented as possible. That's a given and frankly I can't really justify the use of much in the way of other applications honestly when it comes to 3D hosts. Specialty apps like RealFlow, Vue, Massive... Ok. I can see a few places for that. But I didn't write the thing only to have it made using software I don't use by a production house that would thumb their nose at LightWave! It's really a massive commercial for LightWave and we could certainly use one right about now that's cutting edge and driving forward into these new mediums (VR/AR). I also want to put back to work as many LightWave artists as I possibly can. This is important to me as I've been out of work countless times which I had a show to work on or something and I know many of you out there would very much like to work on a production like this. Funding Zones, rules and hiring requriments being what they are - I will do my best to bring in the talent I know can do the work and help lift up as many people I can in the process.

Casting choices may be impacted but I'm really trying to keep my main character choices intact.

The way I see it, I wrote Stasys in early 2008 and then re-wrote it in 2011 or so as a TV series. I'm ok with going a bit further and keeping the promises I have made if it means doing it right and doing right by people who have stood by me. It could all implode at any moment. It could get greenlit tomorrow. Until it does one way or the other I'm in it to win it while acknowledging just how hard it is to get a film made let alone financed when you are not the little guy. I've been very fortunate thus far in my career which is built on LightWave and I am very thankful for the support the community has provided to me as well as Liberty3d.com over the years. If this goes, it will be because of this software we all love and I will never lose sight of that fact. It is for this reason that I am truly grateful for having gotten as far as I have even if it isn't what some would consider "all the way".... yet.

Now..... before anyone notices that I have somehow gotten my ability to post on the forums again after I was banned by a certain 3D division president a while back....I should get going...
However, if you have questions about the show, please email me [email protected] declarationpictures.com and I will do my best to fill you in.

Markc
07-22-2016, 12:29 PM
Wow, thanks for the extensive reply Kat.
Sounds like you have a lot of work to do.
Fingers crossed for plain sailing :goodluck:

shrox
07-22-2016, 01:39 PM
Hi Mark.
It's still in development....

However what I can say beyond that is this.

I now (we actually, as this is more than just me in terms of the producing team) have an agreement in place from the Belgium Government to provide a Tax Shelter for investors in the production (kind of hard to explain how that works) along with a German co-pro in the wings that are VERY interested in the show and want to take next steps. I have to do a full re-write but I always knew going into this that it would happen during the pre-production cycle after being greenlit.
However that's the next trick. Greenlighting the thing. That will come down to a North American distributor and or financing deal. Something I'm working on as much as I humanly can.

Because of the way co-pros work, I have to find X dollars over here (North America, possibly meaning a canadian, german, belgium co-production) to make it all work in the end even though most of the money will be spent in the other zones. A North American distributor (presale of the film into that territory which I can then take to a commercial bank, or film financer... blah blah blah) is the missing component at the moment. I can actually get the project financed in 48 hours if I had that in place, via a mechanism I've come across recently that I was introduced to by another film maker.

I'm hopeful that in the next month or so I can move forward with the production and get a deal cut that finances the entire thing properly. It looks like we will have to go to a feature film format (which Stasys was originally) instead of a series in order to access those kinds of government funding set ups in Belgium and Germany, but that's not entirely a horrible thing. I can always make sequels and my goal is to produce the show in Immersive 360 VR stereoscopic format that you can watch in VR as it will be completely CG. Yes, conventional formats such as 2K/4K and S3D are planned for you non-VR types out there.. This translates into more than just a "one off" or "just another animated feature film" and it has to be treated a bit differently than your standard issue direct to VOD film.

Let me be clear...This isn't some "few million bucks" production if it goes forward. Right now tentative, sensible budgets are pegged around $XX Million USD (decided to not indicate the number, but it is double digit) even though I could do it for much less than that. This drastically changes how I've had to approach the project.

One of the reasons why its kind of fallen off the radar is that there has been a lot of "doing" in the background that unfortunately I can't talk too much about and it didn't seem approrpiate to "rah rah rah" the show at this time as things have significantly changed. I'm at the limit of what I can say really...Not because its top secret or anything but because I don't want to jinx it. I've come so close so many times with this show to getting it made that I've decided the emotional roller coaster needed to be tamed down a bit and every day something changes that alters its course slightly. I'm going to need every ounce of energy to do the film once it does go foward anyway so I'm kind of building up my energy stores. It will be the hardest thing I have done to date in my career let alone my life and I have no allusions regarding the challenges ahead. Thankfully I have some good, and I mean some REALLY good key people on board.

Anyway - getting a proper deal done that protects the property and ensures the production is on solid footing (getting the right producers on board) is critical and I don't want to do anything half assed. After watching Iron Sky and CARGO production financing, up front and personal - turn into the horrorshows that they became (and still are for some)... I know that I don't want a repeat of anything of the sort on Stasys or any of my other productions. There is no reason to put myself through that kind of nonsense nor the production staff. It's just not done in my world. Like why screw stuff like that up? Do things right, protect your assets and interests and do it right so you can do it again, and again... and again... Hey, I'm no show runner and I know it. So I intend to get the best people I can on board with this who have track record when the time comes so I can focus exclusively on my task which directing the thing (which I may have to give up, we will see).

Some people who I have worked with in the past think I'm some sort of hard *** when it comes to this stuff, but honestly - as the saying goes. Time is money. I don't want to and cannot afford to waste anyone's time and would expect the same in return. In otherwords, don't make a movie unless you have the money (and a plan) and don't ask people to do something you are unwilling to do yourself. Or something to that effect. So that's one of the other reasons why I went silent with the project.
For me this is about doing it right. Maybe I got used to working for NBC, MGM, etc... or something but I kind of believe in the idea of being paid on a regular basis (ie weekly), without having to walk on egg shells wondering if its okay to ask if I will be getting a plane ticket home or not as promised. You know.. that sort of thing?
I shudder actually with the memories of both shows looking back even though I did have some fun. Stasys is still going to be an "indie" low budget film by all accounts, but its not going to come out like that in the end in terms of apperance or presentation and that meant chilling out while I get some things in order. I'm trying to balance out what I have learned in the major studio system with my experiences as an independent. That's not easy to do.
Still, I have made some commitments in the past and I intend on keeping them regarding certain things as much as I possibly can.

For example...I want to keep the show as LW oriented as possible. That's a given and frankly I can't really justify the use of much in the way of other applications honestly when it comes to 3D hosts. Specialty apps like RealFlow, Vue, Massive... Ok. I can see a few places for that. But I didn't write the thing only to have it made using software I don't use by a production house that would thumb their nose at LightWave! It's really a massive commercial for LightWave and we could certainly use one right about now that's cutting edge and driving forward into these new mediums (VR/AR). I also want to put back to work as many LightWave artists as I possibly can. This is important to me as I've been out of work countless times which I had a show to work on or something and I know many of you out there would very much like to work on a production like this. Funding Zones, rules and hiring requriments being what they are - I will do my best to bring in the talent I know can do the work and help lift up as many people I can in the process.

Casting choices may be impacted but I'm really trying to keep my main character choices intact.

The way I see it, I wrote Stasys in early 2008 and then re-wrote it in 2011 or so as a TV series. I'm ok with going a bit further and keeping the promises I have made if it means doing it right and doing right by people who have stood by me. It could all implode at any moment. It could get greenlit tomorrow. Until it does one way or the other I'm in it to win it while acknowledging just how hard it is to get a film made let alone financed when you are not the little guy. I've been very fortunate thus far in my career which is built on LightWave and I am very thankful for the support the community has provided to me as well as Liberty3d.com over the years. If this goes, it will be because of this software we all love and I will never lose sight of that fact. It is for this reason that I am truly grateful for having gotten as far as I have even if it isn't what some would consider "all the way".... yet.

Now..... before anyone notices that I have somehow gotten my ability to post on the forums again after I was banned by a certain 3D division president a while back....I should get going...
However, if you have questions about the show, please email me [email protected] declarationpictures.com and I will do my best to fill you in.

Hire me.

jeric_synergy
07-22-2016, 05:04 PM
I'd really like to work in Europe for several years.... pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaase.

shrox
07-22-2016, 07:04 PM
I'd really like to work in Europe for several years.... pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaase.

Me first!

jeric_synergy
07-23-2016, 09:05 AM
Me first!

It's not like I'd win in a choice between us, Shrox. :( :cry: