PDA

View Full Version : texture is static as object moves.

nikmills
10-23-2003, 06:00 PM
Hi,
I've been away from LW for many months and restarting I come up against a problem right away. I load up the baseball from the content folder and as I move it around in modeler I see it's texture stays put! I've seen this before and I've used it in animations too, but my 40+ year old mind can't remember how to stop it from happening! Help please!! I want the image map and texture to stick with the ball.
Thanks

nikmills
10-23-2003, 06:24 PM
The texture actually stays with the ball. Only the image map lets the ball move without sticking to it. I thought maybe reference object would be involved, but it's not available to pull down.

pdrake
10-23-2003, 06:29 PM
put it into layout and move it around and see what happens.:p

nikmills
10-23-2003, 08:02 PM
Yes, in Layout it's fine. So long as I never move it in modeler. But that seems pretty restrictive. So I'm getting something confused here. This model involves many baseballs and bats and other stuff. Do I assemble it all in layout where textures stay put? Or is there some way to make them stay put in modeler so I can use modelers tools to assemble and then send it all to layout when it's built.
This is the kind of thing I never understood about LW. Can someone clear the methodology up? Thanks

pdrake
10-23-2003, 08:58 PM
i've built that same model when i was doing exhibit booth design. baseball/bat manufacturer. heh.

yep. you'll have to clone it in layout and move each one around. either that or put a different texture with a different position on each one in modeler.

i know your pain.

if i'm wrong, which i may be, i'd like to know too.

eblu
10-23-2003, 09:28 PM
yo!
ok, your choices are...
set it all up in layout, as described.
or....
you can create a UVmap for the texturemap, and then you can move the ball to your hearts content in modeller.

for my money, I'd do it in layout, its simply easier at this point. and if you aren't terribly comfortable with UVmaps, you are in for a few minor headaches.

the nice thing about UVmaps is that they stick to geometry instead of hanging around in space like plain texture maps. so when you move the geometry the texture goes along for the ride too!

there are a few ways to adjust generic texture maps , (texture guide for example) but since you are duplicating and probably rotating geometry that you want to look like the original, then You will probably Have to use UVmaps if you do it in modeller, otherwise you are multiplying your workload.

toby
10-23-2003, 09:53 PM
Spherical, Cylindrical, and Planar mapping use Modelers' world coordinates. If it didn't, you would have to use UV maps for everything including planar - like 3DSMax. In max you must apply a uv map for every image or you'll get an error when you render.

To put it another way, Modeler doesn't keep track of 'objects' within 1 layer. Everything in a layer is considered 1 object in layout, so Modeler cannot keep track of where you want the texture, without a UV map. It just uses 0,0,0 as the center; when you move or rotate your planar map, you're moving it relative to 0,0,0.

Placing objects is not really meant to be done in Modeler, and it makes sense - if you made a dozen pillars and placed them in Modeler then wanted to change something, you'd have to have to either change all of them or place them all over again. Instead, clone them in Layout and they'll all change when you alter the original.

nikmills
10-24-2003, 05:43 AM
Thanks you guys, and nice Iraq research page Toby.
Nik