PDA

View Full Version : Transitions for B Inputs on Virtual Sets

malone1986
05-04-2012, 04:52 AM
Hi guys,

Not sure if anyone has posted this before, so apologies if they have!

We use virtual sets all the time and often need to switch between the network, DDR and sometimes stills on the B input. Unless I have missed something, there is no way of applying a fade to these transitions and you are left with a straight cut as you switch as a result.

We normally get round this by moving to a tight shot and switching the output before going back to a wider shot with the new content in the screen, but it would be nice to be able to switch B inputs using simple fade/flash to white etc transitions.

Thanks to everyone at NewTek for all the ongoing great work!

Cheers,

SBowie
05-04-2012, 06:53 AM
... but it would be nice to be able to switch B inputs using simple fade/flash to white etc transitions.There's no simple way to do this on most models. 8000, however, will let you do a full switch in a second M/E (with all effects plus 4 overlays), and pipe the whole thing back into the B source (or C or D or an overlay) of a different M/E. You could even do it again and again, so you'd have B, C and D monitors, still with 4 top level overlays free - and you could even output this without ever going near the main switcher if you wanted.

joseburgos
05-04-2012, 07:14 AM
Depending on the show, I can achieve this by setting up a virtual input and then exporting its preset. I then import that preset to the next virtual input.
I'll use V1 and V2 as an example of this work flow;
V1 has a virtual set with talent and a plasma monitor. I use cam 1 for A and graphics/image (depends on your XD model) for B. I then import the V1 preset into V2. In V2 I change the B to DDR or Frame-buffer.
With V1 on program and V2 on preview, I auto using a fade transition. Since all but the B input is different, I create a "B input transition".
You will find that extra pre-production work is needed as well as practice to execute certain transitions from virtual inputs but the result is pleasing.
On a different note, a recent client decided to add a transition to each clip at the start and end of each one populating the B input. This allowed for a simple next clip, play work-flow.
Edit: Pre-render a clip with a transition at the start and end of it

Good luck,

PIZAZZ
05-04-2012, 08:11 AM
We use the fade from Virtual input to Virtual input all the time to achieve the B transition effect.

That said... My house of worship market and others would love to be able to simply fade from clip to clip from inside a DDR. Double click the next clip and it crossfades. There is $300 worship software that can do it. So when I am showing a 20K TriCaster to a prospect, they just can't comprehend why it can't do it.

kltv
05-04-2012, 09:40 AM
The VT did it too… :)

malone1986
05-19-2012, 07:53 AM
Hi Guys,

We have used the trick that Jose and PIZAZZ explained in their posts, but with all the awesome features available to us, it is a bit of a shame this isn't easier!

PIZAZZ
05-19-2012, 10:24 AM
It's easier if you have a 8000