PDA

View Full Version : Nice Babylon 5 background info site

Rayek
05-03-2012, 10:49 PM
Not sure if this has been posted before, but here ya go:
http://www.facebook.com/B5Scrolls

Includes a link to download the complete website. I never knew the real reason why the CGI scenes in Lightwave were rendered in 4:3 instead of widescreen: because it saved $75 per episode.

I re-watched the entire series a couple of months ago: still one of the best space operas ever. Period. The cg may have suffered a bit, but still is very watchable. The low ntsc resolution actually hides a lot of the inconsistencies.

They should re-render the sequences at high resolution, improve the textures and overall compositing, and do a "original Star Trek remastered" release. I would buy it.

DigitalSorcery8
05-03-2012, 11:16 PM
I thought the series was actually shot in widescreen.

I have the DVD's, and I was sure it was widescreen.

I could be mistaken. :confused:

Rayek
05-04-2012, 12:25 AM
Yeah, just checked episode 20 of season 4 (Endgame) - and it is widescreen. But perhaps the CGI was rendered at 640*480, and cropped? Not sure.

DigitalSorcery8
05-04-2012, 01:07 AM
I guess it's possible, but I don't think that 640x480 (or 720x480) cropped to display widescreen would have enough resolution for DVD. I seem to recall - though it may not be an accurate recollection - that JMS shot everything in widescreen AND made sure the FX were done the same. Essentially future-proofing the show. And it was wise he did. Too bad Star Trek didn't go the same route. :)

SplineGod
05-04-2012, 03:03 AM
I never knew the real reason why the CGI scenes in Lightwave were rendered in 4:3 instead of widescreen: because it saved $75 per episode.

release. I would buy it.

Not just that but things were rendered at 24fps rather then 30fps. The "official" reason was to give the show a "film look". The real reason was because it saved time and money. :)