PDA

View Full Version : My cabinetmakers Router for Nav & Sim

skeatt
03-03-2003, 06:56 AM
I'm back working on it again, doing some surfacing tests for my router I'm building for my Macromedia Director Navigation and Simulation Assignment
Any tut's on making good metal and plastic surfaces LW5.6 ( *.srf ) out there?:confused:

I must ask, why am I seeing through the model on my glass magnifier?.. (can you see the horizon in it!) even when I do an alpha image it makes this a shaded hole?

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~skeatt/router.jpg

Rastaffarien
03-04-2003, 05:25 AM
hkklgjklgjkl

earlye
03-04-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by skeatt

I must ask, why am I seeing through the model on my glass magnifier?.. (can you see the horizon in it!) even when I do an alpha image it makes this a shaded hole?

Two things come to mind (not sure if either is the cause, but I'll give it a go anyway) :)

1 - Have you checked to make sure the surface normals are pointing towards the camera in that region of the model? If they aren't, then you'll see straight through to the other side.

2 - Some render engines (I don't recall if LW is one of 'em) get confused when you have two surfaces that share the same space. I.e., if the back side of your glass coincides with the front side of the ruler behind the glass, then it may be getting confused about which to render and choosing the glass. Try putting a gap in between the two if this looks like it might be the problem.

I hope that helps.

skeatt
03-08-2003, 03:01 AM
Thankyou earlye, you may have something there.

I actually doubled the surface and reversed one side (norms) and merged points to get the correct glass refraction.
I'm not sure if choosing "Surface double sided" does the same, so I just followed some of the tutorials given me on glass objects and surfaces.

I guess the best thing to do is return to a single sided transparent object and see what renders up.

skeatt
03-12-2003, 06:58 AM
An update on the progress and a different angle to see more detail.
I'm starting to get the hang on doing metalic bits using LW5.6 (I haven't got time for perfection unfortunately)