PDA

View Full Version : Temp LWO files?

NinoK
05-02-2012, 02:54 PM
Does modeler save any temp object files anywhere?

I'm so frustrated. Twice now Layout (LW 11) has crashed in the middle of 'Save all objects'... and both times has completely corrupted the LWO. This is a 40+ Layer lwo that has had to be redone. The first time It happened I started working on a duplicate in case it happened again and it did, but I am still about 2 hours away from the last backup.

Same thing has happened a number of times with scene files over my LW career as well. I have yet to have it happen with a different program yet I use those quite a bit more than LW in my day to day work.

Why isn't there a two step fail safe to saving yet like with just about every other software package? It is a simple solution, if a user selects save, you write a temp file first, then if all is ok, you overwrite the original. That way, if it combusts during the save, the temp file is gone, but not the original. Sigh, ok vent over. Time to stay late.

NinoK
05-02-2012, 03:11 PM
Found it! Looks like a version was saved in my temp folder. C:\Users\nk\AppData\Local\Temp\lwhub

Not the most recent but about an hour and a half newer than the backup. So now I'm not sure why the corruption happened because apparently LW does make a temp file first.

dandeentremont
05-06-2012, 12:13 PM
Good to know! So the temp file was made when you saved all objects?

Sensei
05-06-2012, 03:13 PM
I made plugin for this LoadBackupObject for Modeler, which is opening that (hidden invisible) folder in Modeler.
http://www.trueart.pl/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins/LoadBackupObject