PDA

View Full Version : iPad App for Road Races

csandy
05-01-2012, 08:18 PM
To my knowledge noone else here is streaming road races (marathons, 5-10ks, duathlons, triathlons, etc), but just in case there's interest, I'm posting a link to my iPad app.

Just over a year ago, I went to the Apple Store looking for a solution to a simple problem: I wanted an application that would let me make a simple database of the people running in a series of races my A/V company was sponsoring so I could quickly and easily identify them by bib number and get all of their details. We were using clipboards with a bunch of paper - but it quickly became evident that all of the pertinent race information, plus background information like home town age, running companies,etc in addition to really important information like emergency contacts quickly got unwieldy, just like this sentence. While paper was somewhat cheap, when you considered how much it cost to print it out for everyone and the sheer cumbersomeness of it and environmental impact, we looked for something better.

To my surprise, out of the hundreds of thousands of apps on the app store, nothing fit the bill. So then we tried some general database applications. They were really bad, and a lot of them used the odd iOS keyboard that has numbers from left to right instead of in a calculator configuration. Not to mention they were really expensive apps!

So what did we decide to do? Build our own app! We've been using it for a year, and it's incredible, easy to use, and really, really fast.

Anyway, I encourage you to check it out. On the app store (http://itunes.apple.com/app/racebib/id519089131?mt=8). Here's the link http://itunes.apple.com/app/racebib/id519089131?mt=8. We're quite proud of it because it's a simple app that provides a simple function. It does one thing, and does it extremely well. We're touting it as the clipboard database for the price of a clipboard. In fact, it cost less than the clipboards that we bought at Staples and seem to always walk after the race.

Check it out, at 99 cents you really can't go wrong.

joseburgos
05-02-2012, 02:41 PM
Pretty cool Colin :)

PIZAZZ
05-02-2012, 02:50 PM
Indeed. Coolness.

Now take it to the next step and have it trigger a specific lower third page in LiveText for each runner. While your at it, why not integrate RFID reading into the app? Then you wouldn't have to type in a number as they came by. On second thought that might be too hard. I guess you could have the bibs printed with unique QR codes for each runner. Then all you have to do is read the QR code as they come by. If you ever use QR code readers then I am sure you understand completely that I am kidding right? Great to see more people seeing a need and devising a solution. Great job Colin

csandy
05-05-2012, 12:04 PM
Indeed. Coolness.

Now take it to the next step and have it trigger a specific lower third page in LiveText for each runner. While your at it, why not integrate RFID reading into the app? Then you wouldn't have to type in a number as they came by. On second thought that might be too hard.

Thanks Jef! The plan is to have it integrate with the many timing systems out there at some point and in some way. There are some professional timers out there trying to beat me up because they see a $0.99 app as a threat to their multi-thousand dollar timing systems. But it's really a niche product. Some of the timer folks out there say there's no need for a simply database application because a ream of paper (that's 500 sheets by the way) can easily fit on a clipboard, so why bother? It's pretty funny. Hopefully someone will find it useful beyond my friends who purchase it out of pity. :D

PS - you can have LiveText2 with DataLink bring finishes up on the screen right now! In fact, you can easily do it with any TCXD using the frame buffer. The better timing systems out there dump a text file to a folder.