PDA

View Full Version : FiberFX and patents...

erikals
05-01-2012, 01:45 PM
be careful... \:]

http://www.cgchannel.com/2012/05/yeti-fur-plugin-will-not-be-sold-in-the-us/

  

Cageman
05-01-2012, 03:00 PM
Joe Alter... *sigh*

We bought a bunch of Licenses for Shave and a Haircut for Maya, and ended up with tons of problems regarding the licenseserver... after 6 unanswered emails, we ended up with licenses that were never to be renewed.

That guy is just full of himself... and, frankly speaking, who can ever invent a hair/fur solution without tapping into his "patent"?

erikals
05-01-2012, 03:08 PM
well, way back my family invented the wheel...

Greenlaw
05-01-2012, 03:20 PM
Wow, he actually got Disney ("The litigi-est place on earth") to settle though.

Now that's impressive.

G.

Lightwolf
05-01-2012, 06:00 PM
Wow, he actually got Disney ("The litigi-est place on earth") to settle though.

Now that's impressive.

Impressive indeed. It's rare to see a small guy win a patent war. And CG is unfortunately a minefield nowadays as well - not just mobile phones (even though the sums are lower) :(

Cheers,
Mike

evenflcw
05-01-2012, 06:36 PM
Sounds almost like it's a good thing that Joe left LW behind. As it's an integrated solution, FiberFX will not be in direct competition with any of his current products, as it doesn't run on those platforms and as of yet nobody will be investing in LW just to get FFX. That would decrease the chances of him "pouncing" on NT (should there be suspected infringement), as the main reason for him pouncing Disney seems to have been Disneys plans to commercialize their solution in direct competition with his own (possibly including patented "ideas" of his).

I have nothing else to say about the patent or the possible infringement. He is just using the system in place.

geothefaust
05-01-2012, 06:53 PM
Joe Alter... *sigh*

We bought a bunch of Licenses for Shave and a Haircut for Maya, and ended up with tons of problems regarding the licenseserver... after 6 unanswered emails, we ended up with licenses that were never to be renewed.

That guy is just full of himself... and, frankly speaking, who can ever invent a hair/fur solution without tapping into his "patent"?

I don't agree at all. I met him at SIGGRAPH 2010. He was a super nice guy and very talkative. He came over to our booth and chatted with us for about a little over an hour about all sorts of stuff, and not once had an air of ego.

On the talk of patents. It's his damn intellectual property, good on him.

gristle
05-01-2012, 08:35 PM

... in the US only by the sound of that thread.

Phil
05-01-2012, 09:16 PM

Good on him if that is indeed the case, but that is not proven. The mere existence of the patent and an allegation is sufficient to block progress; I doubt that was really the intent of the system when it was conceived. The issue with the USPTO is that patents are issued with minimal review and challenging them is difficult, time consuming and very expensive. That makes the whole thing extremely one-sided, and there's nothing to say that an alleged infringement is an actual infringement.

There's also the question of obviousness with regard to patents. If multiple independent systems end up using the same approach, all from different authors, the patent(s) involved could potentially be challenged on those grounds. However, this is again very expensive.

Without a court judgement, it's not really reasonable to slam one side or the other, and it should also be noted that patent infringement can also be inadvertent (particularly with software, sad to say).

DigitalSorcery8
05-01-2012, 09:19 PM
Well... considering how he left so many LW users high and dry with S&H for LW... I have ZERO sympathy for him.

jasonwestmas
05-01-2012, 10:21 PM
I don't know how to feel about this, to be honest about it. A) I like the idea of intellectual property but B) is it really necessary to patent something like a spline based coordinate system? Seems so primative (like a wheel) from a user perspective.

I'm actually kinda surprised he hasn't gone after Luxology. Their hair system is very much like Shave. Almost identical.

Well anyway, I have seen much better systems and potential hair systems than what Joe Alter made imo. Best of luck with that Lbrush thing, whenever that will be released commercially.

Silkrooster
05-02-2012, 02:17 AM
I didn't read the article, but the patent is also dependent on how many years ago he applied for the patent. If he did not keep applying year after year, the time may be up.

Lightwolf
05-02-2012, 02:21 AM
I didn't read the article, but the patent is also dependent on how many years ago he applied for the patent. If he did not keep applying year after year, the time may be up.
2004 is when he got it. Thus the deadline of 2024 - 20 years.

Edit: The whole language used to describe the software patents, just to make them fit within the patent framework in the first place, is an obvious indication of how absurd it is. Mabye we should rename the db&w Tools to db&w Apparatus*. :D

Cheers,
Mike

*Knowing me I'd probably get stuck on db&w Apparatchik though. :D

Silkrooster
05-02-2012, 02:55 AM
2004 is when he got it. Thus the deadline of 2024 - 20 years.

Edit: The whole language used to describe the software patents, just to make them fit within the patent framework in the first place, is an obvious indication of how absurd it is. Mabye we should rename the db&w Tools to db&w Apparatus*. :D

Cheers,
Mike

*Knowing me I'd probably get stuck on db&w Apparatchik though. :D
Ah, I thought it was older than that.

Yeah software is still kind of grey area, legal wise. It changes so quickly. If your not well versed in the legal system, you could easily get sideswiped by someone else who just happens to know a little more than yourself. Anyway, I think I getting off topic a bit, so...

Titus
05-02-2012, 08:20 AM
I don't know how to feel about this, to be honest about it. A) I like the idea of intellectual property but B) is it really necessary to patent something like a spline based coordinate system? Seems so primative (like a wheel) from a user perspective.

He clearly needs to go after Pixar and their ilegal use of RiCurves in RenderMan. Sue them into oblivion. Only then they will learn.

Software patents are absurd.