PDA

View Full Version : Selective Surface calc For Motion Designer

wacom
10-23-2003, 03:42 PM
I have a model based on a puppet that has a cape and some fringe fabric attached to the arms. I've been trying to use MD on it, but it seems that I have too many surfaces in one layer as it is taking MD a long time to calculate with a ton of errors.

I think I need to keep the cape and arm fringe in the same layer so that the fixed portions will move/deform with the bones in my model.

My questin is this- how do I, or is there a way to make sure MD uses only a select few textures in the model layer and not all of them? When I change all the surfaces that don't need MD calc to fixed it still seems to be calculating. Once again I think the cape and the arm fringe need to stay in the same layer as the main models bones...

The fixed surfaces need to follow the bones...and the non-fixed need to use MD- if anyone has a solution that gets this working please tell me.

Thank you in advance...

Gideon (aka wacom)

Ender_McFurious
10-25-2003, 07:31 PM
well, if you have a friggin ton of polys on that surf then it'll take forever to calc. In order to get rid of the errors, you'll have to up the calculations (prepare for an even greater bog down). Hits options and knock the number in calulation resolution up ~20 or so, if it corrects the probs and you feel like recalcing it (which I doubt you will as it'll save the motion) just nudge it down a little, though if you have a lot of errors, just keep upping it little by little.

madrenderman
10-31-2003, 08:03 AM
motion designer can assign and use polygons by surface, or (for you more confortable) by part, part is a poligon selection saved in modeler.

i think this is the solution of your problem.
have a nice day.

hrgiger
10-31-2003, 08:18 AM
wacom,

There is usually a workable solution if you look for it.

You don't have to place your parts that you want to deform with bones in the same layer as the skeleton. You just have to specify in the bones panel in Layout the layer at which you want to use. So select your fixed layer, and in the bones panel, pick which layer has your bones in it.
What I would do is place the parts to use MD in their own layer, in this case the fringe and the cape. Place the rest of the body in a different layer. Copy and paste the parts of the body (to be deformed with bones) that you think will come into contact with the cape and/or fringe into a new layer. Unsubpatch them so they're lo-res. This part you will parent to the main body and in all sense will move exactly like the body. Just dissolve this layer out in Layout under it's property panel. This way, you have a collision object that acts like your body but is lo-res so it will not take long to calculate.

wacom
10-31-2003, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by hrgiger
wacom,

There is usually a workable solution if you look for it.

You don't have to place your parts that you want to deform with bones in the same layer as the skeleton. You just have to specify in the bones panel in Layout the layer at which you want to use. So select your fixed layer, and in the bones panel, pick which layer has your bones in it.
What I would do is place the parts to use MD in their own layer, in this case the fringe and the cape. Place the rest of the body in a different layer. Copy and paste the parts of the body (to be deformed with bones) that you think will come into contact with the cape and/or fringe into a new layer. Unsubpatch them so they're lo-res. This part you will parent to the main body and in all sense will move exactly like the body. Just dissolve this layer out in Layout under it's property panel. This way, you have a collision object that acts like your body but is lo-res so it will not take long to calculate.

Thanks for the feed back- I somehow stumbled upon this solution on my own and got it to work. I could try the group method too I guess...but the shared bones in diffrent layers method- as you've stated gives me the flexabilty of setting up low res "collision gaurds" for my objects. It works great and I'm getting real good resaults with minimal calculation time.

I also couldn't help think while trying to figure this all out how handy using bones with weight maps in the calculation is going to make this all easier (I hope) when 8 comes out.

Thanks for all the input- MD is a rewarding...and painful...