PDA

View Full Version : Flocking and Offset Animation

tcoursey
05-01-2012, 08:32 AM
So it's my understanding that I can have one object animated (maybe with a morph map and key frames) and then add it to my flocking system and have some sort of offset for where the animation begins for each item in the flock. However I've not seen this option anywhere. I must be missing something. Thanks for any guidance.

jameswillmott
05-01-2012, 08:51 AM
There's no automatic way to offset animation, you have to manually set up a collection ( 5 is good ) of objects with differently offset animations, and use them as Instance targets attached to the flock.

tcoursey
05-01-2012, 08:57 AM
hmm... I could have sworn there was something in there for that. I must be thinking of a competitors plugin I own for instancing that has offsets. Seems like something that should be added and would be quite easy...

I'll do more work than needed this time... :)

Thanks for the info.

Cageman
05-01-2012, 09:57 AM
hmm... I could have sworn there was something in there for that. I must be thinking of a competitors plugin I own for instancing that has offsets. Seems like something that should be added and would be quite easy...

Not as easy as you think though, especially regarding deformation. That is why both DP Instance and HD Instance have their own caching-format strictly designed to be used with the instancer for such things. We shouldn't forget that what LW11.x has, so far, is v1.0 for instancing, so I guess we have to wait and see what will come in future feature-updates.

One could argue that NT should have invented their own specialized cachingsystem for this, but... what if their intention is to make that type of thing work directly with MDDs or GeoCaches?

:)

tcoursey
05-01-2012, 10:00 AM
One could argue that NT should have invented their own specialized cachingsystem for this, but... what if their intention is to make that type of thing work directly with MDDs or GeoCaches?
:)

Yes please! :)

Titus
05-01-2012, 11:46 AM
A few years ago I solved this writing a perl script to modify a .lws and add objects using MDD and adding an offset. This is an example:

http://youtu.be/oP5FH0jZqh0?t=10s