PDA

View Full Version : Single point polys wont cast shadow or reflection?

malikai666
10-23-2003, 03:12 PM
so Ive made some letters with single point polys to just make a 3d outline of the letters. Ive made the line size larger in the items prop panel. the problem is they are not casting shadows nor reflecting off of the surface behind them no matter how large I make the line. Why is this and how do I fix it?

lonestar1
10-23-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by malikai666
so Ive made some letters with single point polys to just make a 3d outline of the letters. Ive made the line size larger in the items prop panel. the problem is they are not casting shadows nor reflecting off of the surface behind them no matter how large I make the line. Why is this and how do I fix it?

I'd say this is expected behavior. A point isn't just a small object. It's a geometric entity that has no size. Lightwave "thickens" single-point polygons to one-pizel size, but that's just a cheat. If a point could could cast a shadow or reflect light, the shadow or reflection would be the size of a single point, meaning it would be represented by zero pixels.

If you need shadows and reflections, I suggest you replace the single-point polygons with polygons that have tiny (but non-zero) size. Of course, if they're too tiny, you will still end up with the same problem -- the rays will miss the objects because they're too small.