PDA

View Full Version : Help required to install Lightwave 10

Mr Mouse
04-29-2012, 06:13 PM
Dear folks, I am having great stress attempting to install Lightwave 10.
I've installed it on my system but nothing happens when I press the Application Icons.

Firstly the documentation says: Do not install the Lightwave 10 software over your v9.x series software!
1, Does this mean I have to clear my version of 9.6 from my system?

I bought 9.6 with an upgrade when available to v10 + Hardcore membership .My Hardcore membership has expired.

2, can I still run and install v10 even if this Hardcore membership has expired, which it appears to?
3, Can I run and install version 11 if this Hardcore membership has expired - I noticed it was in my Newtek Downloads?

4, should i be lucky enough to get version 10 to run - where is it that I input my lock ID and my registration? I am thoroughly confused as it's been an age since I installed Lightwave 9.6 and prior to that v8?

5, I noticed that there is a version 10.1 in my downloads should I just install this rather than v10?

I really haven't got a clue what Hardcore membership is and just wish to install v10 or 11 if I can. I've been busy and happy up until now with 9.6 but have heard 10 can shift heavier polygon scenes and wish to benefit from this.

Any help greatly welcomed , i find the registration of Lightwave intimidating, confusing and time consuming and wish the documentation had a little more "exact steps required" hand holding.

Tobian
04-29-2012, 06:53 PM
1) LightWave 10, by default, will install in different folders than 9.6, so unless you manually tell it to install it in the same folder as 9.6, it won't. Just accept the default values, and it will be fine. You can have multiple versions of LW all installed and running (simultaneously if you so wish) at the same time.

2) everyone's hardcore membership expired, I wouldn't worry about it :) Your ownership has not expired, just the 'hardcore' which was an added extra thing, which doesn't affect the software ownership.

The installer will work just fine. As long as you are using your permanent keys, from your registration area, then it should all be fine. the only issue would be if you were using demo keys, which you likely won't be, now.

3) Hmm not sure, LW 11 will probably work, but only in demo mode, if you don't have the licence for it. You can usually use new versions of LW for 30 or 60 days (I forget which exactly) before they turn back to demo mode.

4) Enter your id etc into the register tool, and it should spit out some LW 10.x serial numbers for you, if not email customer support , and they will sort you out soon enough. You will need to enter in each version of LW you own into there (so 9.x and 10.x, for you) for it to create your keys.

5) absolutely install 10.1 While you don't get whole version number upgrades for free you always get the point number versions, and you may as well have 10.1 as it is superior and with more bug fixes etc than 10.0

Mr Mouse
04-29-2012, 07:23 PM
Tobian, many thanks.

When you say "using your permanent keys, from your registration area" is the this the license key numbers indicated in "my product"?

"Enter your id etc into the register tool, and it should spit out some LW 10.x serial numbers for you"

Slightly confused. My version of 9.6 is already registered.
9.6 seems to have the serial number but 10 has a Membership number?
Is it version 10 using the membership number I register to get this permanent license?

If I can get Lightwave to actually load up where is it that I input all these different numbers?

I do apologize for my uncertainty with regard the process.

Tobian
04-29-2012, 07:40 PM
Sorry it's been a while since I've done it myself, so I probably used the wrong words...

Ok so you entered your serial number in 'Lightwave 3D' and you only got 9.6 licence keys? Try it again to be sure. If that fails, try entering your hardcore membership number in the hardcore registration, but i don't think this is what you need, you need lightwave 10 licence keys.

If you don't get the correct licence keys for LW10.x then you need to email the staff at Newtek, and they are usually really helpful.

As for what to do with them, well activating 10.x is the same as activating 9.x - Launch Layout, go to help > Enter Licence, and copy paste the licence key in there. You'll then need to shut down lightwave (and hub) and re-open it, and it *should* work correctly.

Mr Mouse
04-29-2012, 07:43 PM
Thank you so much Tobias for helping out.

I shall endeavor now to follow your suggestions and contact Newtek if all else fails.

Many thanks for your kindness and your time.

Mr Mouse
04-29-2012, 08:15 PM
Tried to install 10.1 - got this message "You cannot use this version of the application Layout with this version of the Mac OS X"

my OS:10.5.8

Is this correct? I need a higher version of the OS to run 10.1?I couldn't find any specifics for the OS requirements for Mac for Lightwave 10.1.

Do I need to be running 10.6 and above for both version Lightwave 10 and version Lightwave 10.1?

rsfd
04-30-2012, 05:40 AM
yes, LW 10.x needs MacOSX 10.6 or higher to operate.
This should have been stated in the LW10 "What's new" Guide, which you should find in your NT account.
This is a prerequisite for proper 64-bit support of LW, the same reason for the need of an Intel Mac.
Another stumbling block might be the Dongle itself.
Unless you haven't got at least a "Duo Dongle" (better: the "Sentinel" USB version), you might need to exchange it in order to be able to run LW10 and higher.
(You need to contact customer support, if you have got a "Duo", as you will need to get a different key for 64-bit support on Mac. The latest actions from CS always seemed to be the exchange of the Duo to the new Sentinel type instead).

Mr Mouse
04-30-2012, 06:44 AM
Thank rsfd for confirming all this. All this means that I'll have to defer updating Lightwave for the precise moment as I'm in creative flow and cannot take any potential OS trouble shooting with other apps. Usually software pre-install informs whether one has the correct OS or not.

I see I have (after peeling back the serial info sticker) a "Rainbow Duo"

Is there a charge for replacing / updating to this new Dongle?
I trust not as a replacement dongle would have been preferable to a Hardcore Member sweatshirt.

rsfd
04-30-2012, 08:43 AM
afair, NT was very generous to those who needed to exchange the Dongle.
After contacting NT-Customer Support, they usually sended the replacement Dongle to the customer, they also confirm this swap to 3rd party plug-in developers (for those who have paid plug-ins and need the ), as the replacement Dongle naturally holds a different lock-ID/Hardware Lock ID.
(This is probably a problem when one is dependent on older plug-ins btw. In such cases, it might be better to stay with the Duo, but you would need contact CS nevertheless, as the Duo holds different Lock-IDs on the Mac, one for 32-bit operation, one for 64-bit operation. Therefor CS would need to generate a different unlock-key for you, that you would need to paste into the license.key file to "unlock" LW's 64-bit functionality. The Sentinel Dongle is certainly more future proof though).

I don't know, if they charged for the Dongle. But some seemed to have gotten it without extra payment or just got charged for shipping.
If the swap is accomplished and everything works as expected, the customer is requested to send the old Dongle back to NT.

Mr Mouse
05-01-2012, 11:44 PM
Thank you rsfd, much appreciated.
Sounds a little complicated but I trust Newtek Europe will steer me right on what I'll need.

rsfd
05-02-2012, 05:57 AM
(Hope it was sufficiently understandable: when I read again, I notice it might be obvious that I was in a rush ;) )

Probably might be better to contact NewTek-USA, no?