PDA

View Full Version : Updated FFX manual?

jwiede
04-29-2012, 12:40 PM
The latest version of the FFX manual available for download goes with 9.6. There have been numerous changes to the feature since the documented version, is there more recent FFX documentation (at a similar level of detail) available, and if so, where?

jasonwestmas
05-03-2012, 03:20 PM
nope, not that I know of, just the Addendum stuff and the Lightwave 3D youtube channel.

Greenlaw
05-03-2012, 03:54 PM
I might be wrong but I believe all the info in the 10.1 manual is valid for 11. New features like Polygonize, using ZBrush Fibermeshes, and other enhancements are covered in the 11.0.1 Addendum documents. (Make sure you download the latest update from April.)

One feature I can't find info on is Relax. It's in the Etc panel. It seems to lock up FiberFX in a few tests when I tried it but I'm probably not using it appropriately.

I guess LW Dynamics isn't really explained well anywhere. Basically this makes the guides 'real' so you can use ClothFX on them. One happy side-effect is that you can save the guides as 2-point polygons after you do this. (I don't think this is an official feature but it's been a useful one.)

On important thing to be aware of: If you use a high density setting for surface based fibers, Layout will slow down a lot, and in 10.1 you could avoid this slowdown by simply unchecking the FiberFX Draw box for the object. However, this doesn't work in 11.0.1--FiberFX will continue to calculate all the fiber data even when the Draw box is switched off. The workaround in 11.0.1 is to uncheck the FiberFX On box for the object. Don't worry--you won't lose your settings when you do this. You just need to remember to check it back on before rendering.

Other than that, I think the current docs cover all the basics.

G.

Dodgy
05-03-2012, 10:50 PM
One feature I can't find info on is Relax. It's in the Etc panel. It seems to lock up FiberFX in a few tests when I tried it but I'm probably not using it appropriately.

Relax basically spreads the fur out a bit, but is very slow. The result is a nicer looking distribution, but the time cost is just too much to justify it IMHO.

Greenlaw
05-04-2012, 11:17 AM
Now that you mentioned it, I'm sure I read that previously. I guess it must be in documents...somewhere.

I'm thinking now that what I first took as a 'crash' was probably Relax slowing down the system and me being impatient.

Thanks for the info. :)

G.

Greenlaw
05-07-2012, 06:11 PM
I tried Relax again today. The results were quite nice and much more natural looking for human hair, but the render time did increase significantly (about three times longer.) Also, when the frame render was completed it took Lightwave a minute or two to go back into 'idle' state.

That's too bad. I really like what Relax was doing but the extra render time and performance hit does make it impractical, at least in my current situation at work. I hope this feature can be optimized for a future build.

Anyway, thank you for the info Dodgy.

G.

Chuck
05-09-2012, 03:37 PM
The latest version of the FFX manual available for download goes with 9.6. There have been numerous changes to the feature since the documented version, is there more recent FFX documentation (at a similar level of detail) available, and if so, where?

The FiberFX documentation was integrated into the main manuals in the 10.0 release and updated to the 10.0 features; at 10.1 the manuals, including the integrated FiberFX section, were updated to the 10.1 feature set. The changes in all areas that are new for v11 are only in the LightWave 11 Manual Addendum. For the v11 cycle that Addendum will be updated with any feature release that may be offered. For the next ordinal cycle, we will be undertaking a major overhaul of the full set of manuals, and integrating any new documentation needed as well for feature additions and advances.

jwiede
05-13-2012, 09:27 AM
The FiberFX documentation was integrated into the main manuals in the 10.0 release and updated to the 10.0 features; at 10.1 the manuals, including the integrated FiberFX section, were updated to the 10.1 feature set. The changes in all areas that are new for v11 are only in the LightWave 11 Manual Addendum. For the v11 cycle that Addendum will be updated with any feature release that may be offered. For the next ordinal cycle, we will be undertaking a major overhaul of the full set of manuals, and integrating any new documentation needed as well for feature additions and advances.
Thanks Chuck, just to be sure I understand: The latest main manuals are for 10(.1), listed as "current to 5/19/2011" in the downloads area. All new LW11 info is in the LW11 documentation/addendum, and the addendum supercedes the main manual info where appropriate. The current plans for the next ordinal release include new docs with all info "re-integrated" as a "main manual" set.Please correct me if I've misunderstood anything.