PDA

View Full Version : Need help on render passes...

Taro Yoshimoto
04-28-2012, 06:51 PM
Can someone explain to me the way to do these render passes?

I need;

- full render
- colors (luminosity 100%, shading 0, reflection 0)
- reflections (lum 0, shading 0, reflection like it is)
- GI only (object white with only the shading, shadows...)

Right now I have to change my objects surfaces by hand, render, then close the document without saving. Problem is I got a big batch of renders coming.

I got basic knowledge of the image node editor. (I can do a DoF pass with denis DOF dpnode for exemple)

thanks

XswampyX
04-29-2012, 05:03 AM
It all available in the image filter. Compositing buffer export.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=103931&stc=1&d=1335697357

jeric_synergy
04-29-2012, 08:35 AM
BTW, Lightwave does not have the ability, like exrTrader, to embed such buffer images all in one multi-layer file, correct?

Even though it can save exr images, they're just RGBA?

Dexter2999
04-29-2012, 01:34 PM
BTW, Lightwave does not have the ability, like exrTrader, to embed such buffer images all in one multi-layer file, correct?

Even though it can save exr images, they're just RGBA?

I thought that was the whole reason they invented EXR as a file format?

DigitalSorcery8
04-29-2012, 02:08 PM
Shadermeister might also be able to help you here - makes changing surfaces for GI easy:

http://www.db-w.com/products/shadermeister/about

And it's the same place where you can get exrTrader - buy'em both at the same time and save money!

LOVE exrTrader - it's a must have for rendering passes - IMO.

jeric_synergy
04-29-2012, 02:12 PM
I thought that was the whole reason they invented EXR as a file format?
The fact that an EXR file can do something is no guarantee that Lightwave can take advantage of it.

The existence of the extremely well-regarded and affordable exrTrader (http://www.db-w.com/)implies that native LW embedding of buffers in EXR images doesn't exist. OTOH, I could be totally wrong, and exrTrader apparently (according to the blurb) has benefits that extend beyond EXR.

DigitalSorcery8
04-29-2012, 03:04 PM
The fact that an EXR file can do something is no guarantee that Lightwave can take advantage of it.

The existence of the extremely well-regarded and affordable exrTrader (http://www.db-w.com/)implies that native LW embedding of buffers in EXR images doesn't exist. OTOH, I could be totally wrong, and exrTrader apparently (according to the blurb) has benefits that extend beyond EXR.

AFAIK, exr's directly out of LW cannot have multiple files in one file - which is why exrTrader was apparently developed. To me, exrTradrer is one of those "no-brainer" tools - if you do renderpasses using exr, you just need it. And the fact that it's CHEAP helps too. Excellent tool! :thumbsup:

Of course this may have changed with LW11 - I'm only on 9.6.

PS. You CAN (again, AFAIK) embed multiple files in one PSD file, right? It just won't be 32bit.

jeric_synergy
04-29-2012, 03:41 PM
exrTrader is extremely tempting. I've heard nothing but high praises for it, and I've seen them work like navvies to address bugs.

robertoortiz
04-29-2012, 04:50 PM
I am doing comp work in LW RIGHT NOW (as in my machine is rendering passes right now) and to be honest there is NO WAY I would be able to d o it without exrTrader . It is a fantastic plugin.

-R

Taro Yoshimoto
04-29-2012, 05:39 PM
Ok thanks guys. If I understand, Compositing buffer export only come with LW 11. I guess it's time I ask my boss to update.

Dexter2999
04-29-2012, 06:29 PM
Taro-

What version are you using? Have you looked into the Photoshop PSD Export option under Image Processing?

I think EXR is the way to go but if you have to work with what is available. Look into it (if you haven't already.)

jeric_synergy
04-29-2012, 11:40 PM
U$53 for exrTrader, in a profitable company that's really hard to NOT justify.

FWIW, I always found the PSD exporter cryptic and less than useful. YMMV. IIRC, it does not correctly set the blending modes, and at one time the MAX/MIN buttons were wholely undocumented. PLUS, you'll still be stuck in a non-float representation.

But sure, hey, 'save' $53, then spend a day or two fighting PSD exporter.

Lightwolf
04-30-2012, 01:54 AM
Hey, I like this thread... thanks for the praises, they're very much appreciated... :cool:

AFAIK, exr's directly out of LW cannot have multiple files in one file - which is why exrTrader was apparently developed.
To be perfectly honest... it all started out as a test for infiniMap way back in time. This was also before NT added native EXR support to LW (there was only a free loader/saver for 32-bit windows). Which is why the "normal" image loader and saver are usable without a license - we wanted to make EXR available to LW on all platforms.
Adding multi-layer support was a no-brainer after having gone through the EXR specs - especially since I like to composite in Fusion, which probably has the second best OpenEXR support after Nuke.

Chers,
Mike

gerardstrada
05-02-2012, 06:29 PM
Ok thanks guys. If I understand, Compositing buffer export only come with LW 11. I guess it's time I ask my boss to update.
If you are not in LW11, you could try as well the Render Buffer Export (Image Filter). If you are post processing further your render with LW filters, you can save a full render buffer (before filters) with DP Render Buffer node (Final Color) in DP FNE (http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/nodes/DP_Filter.html). Colors is Raw RGB/Color buffer, Reflections is Shaded Reflection/Refl. Color buffer, the GI only can be got like the illumination pass shown here (http://lightwiki.net/wiki/Multipass_Rendering_with_Filter_Node_Editors#Illum ination_Pass) but subtracting the diffuse shading (with DP Shadows) in DP PFNE (if you are on LW 9.6) - if you are on LW 10, you can just use the Radiosity buffer.

Gerardo

jeric_synergy
05-02-2012, 08:11 PM
How much is a LW11 upgrade price, compared to exrTrader?

Dexter2999
05-02-2012, 08:47 PM
ExrTrader is $71 US.
LW upgrade $695 US.

jeric_synergy
05-02-2012, 11:58 PM
ExrTrader is $71 US.
LW upgrade $695 US.
Taro, you might want to hide this info from your boss... 'cuz you'll STILL want exrTrader even after you upgrade.

BUT, if you need it now, U$71 is a good value.

mummyman
05-03-2012, 10:49 AM
I use exrTrader for it's basic features...and it's still amazing. Also, the guys at the company are fast at getting back to you with questions. There are user forums, and a great feature of exrTrader, is you can view the buffers in VIPER. So, it's neat to see your depth, spec, etc... pretty much with a click of the button.

Works great with network rendering too!

Brett.

Lightwolf
05-03-2012, 10:54 AM
... and a great feature of exrTrader, is you can view the buffers in VIPER. So, it's neat to see your depth, spec, etc... pretty much with a click of the button.
I was giggling for the complete rest of the day once I got that to work. That certainly is my favourite feature which I had never expected while coding V1.0.

Thanks a lot for the kind words, they're very much appreciated. :boogiedow:beerchug:

Cheers,
Mike