PDA

View Full Version : Compositing video in LW

norlight
03-03-2003, 06:54 AM
Hi there!

Any of you experienced LW-users out there now if, and how, its possible to composite video footage inside LW?

I have a College project where I want to composite video footage of an actor shot against a bluescreen in a scene where I want to have elements of the logo to fly around him.

In other words, just having the video in the background will not do.

Sam_Horton
03-03-2003, 10:14 AM
check out this post (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1271)

FenrirWolf
03-03-2003, 12:54 PM
Norlight, this would be relatively trivial to do, by just placing your blue-screened footage onto a simple quad surface. However, AFAIK, Lightwave doesn't come with any sort of chroma-key plugin for its image filters. Maybe someone knows where to get something like this?

I've done video compositing like this, but never with blue-screened characters and a need for them to be clipped out...

norlight
03-03-2003, 04:56 PM
Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Without knowing any better I took it for granted that LW could do this easy compositing trick. That is, easy in a NLE/Compositing prog.

Ive searched every book that I have, checked the forums, but Ive not seen mention anywhere any answers to this LW-compositing challenge.

Luckily Im not totally stuck though. Ive done some thinking and am able to rearrange things a bit so I can bring everything in a to compositor.

But it will be harder to get the visual integration effect I was trying to accomplish...

Norlight

FenrirWolf
03-03-2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by norlight
Ive searched every book that I have, checked the forums, but Ive not seen mention anywhere any answers to this LW-compositing challenge.If you'll be a little patient, I'm working on a simple Lscript plugin that will let you simulate Chroma keying inside of Lightwave. I'm frankly surprised nobody has ever done this before, I searched and found zero references to doing video composition within Lightwave itself. Everybody seems to rely on post-render programs like Video Toaster, Premiere, etc.

tonyg
03-04-2003, 07:34 AM
Hey;

I assume that the foreground-key is not adequate for you rneeds (in the Image Processing area -- Compositing tab).

If you want a true blue-screen removal, why not just front-project onto a polygon, apply the animation as a texture, and use a gradient to apply transparency where the blue is?

T:confused:

norlight
03-06-2003, 07:28 AM
Hey FenrirWolf!

I would love to have an Lscript like the one youre working on!

tonyg:
Thankz for the advice! I havent tried your procedure yet, but it certainly looks like a way to go!

norlight:)

peder
03-07-2003, 03:36 AM
I'm sure i read in dan Ablans Inside Lightwave7 that it is possible to do colorkeying in native Lightwave.

In his example (if i remember correct) he used a background image with trees and sky, put in an aircraft and added the same image as a foreground image and keyed out the sky so that the aircraft appeared from behind the trees.

I think he had to use imageviewer to determine the max and min values for the colours to be keyed out.

Hope this makes any sense.
Peder

norlight
03-08-2003, 08:43 AM
I did take a quick look at that F-16 trees tutorial (beatiful aircraft by the way...).

However, to my understanding this procedure only works for compositing animated stills, but I havent run through the tutorial as such.

Has anybody out there tested whether this procedure works with image sequences and perhaps also with Quicktime movies?

As my deadline is approaching I have to stick with my alternate work-around procedure for this project.

But Ill be testing this later!

Thanks everybody for your thoughts!

Regards
norlight