PDA

View Full Version : HELP:part the Red Sea

jimiclaybrooks
04-27-2012, 01:18 PM
I'm doing that scene where Moses parts the Red Sea. My problem is, I'm using cloth fx to part the water, but I can't get the displacement map to work with the MDD file. I saw a thread some time ago where the Splinegod explained how to combine MDD's and morphs at the same time. I've been looking for that thread, but I haven't found it. I could use some help with this one. I'm open to any suggestions as to what might be the best way to do this. I'm still in LW 9.6 BTW.

RebelHill
04-27-2012, 02:00 PM
add the displacement via the surface node editor... plug it into displace input, activate bump displacement in object properties.

jimiclaybrooks
04-27-2012, 02:19 PM
thanks rebel!
I really suck at nodes, but I'll definitely give it a try. Wait! Are u saying I can use an MDD file as a displacement in the node editor?

SplineGod
04-27-2012, 02:36 PM
Hey Jimi,
Look under the object properties/deformation tab. Theres a plugin called MD_metaplug_morph. This allows you to use morphs with mdd files.
Personally I dont think I would try and combine a morph with an mdd file.
You could do the overall water effect using bump maps as well as a displacement or morph driven by a procedural texture. The parting effect can be done with another texture also driving the morph. You dont have to use nodes to do this.
The morphs can be driven by textures using the Normal Displacement plugin also found
under the Deform tab. Set it to moroh map rather then normals.

jimiclaybrooks
04-27-2012, 02:44 PM
Laaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyy! My main man!
As I said, I read the manual and the helps last night and this morning, but I don't get how the two work together. What I think I understand is that you can only use mdd metaplug morph when its set to every time morph, as with waves for example, and yu can't use an mdd file with it, like I've been trying to do?

jimiclaybrooks
04-27-2012, 03:15 PM
I'm thinking I can do this in layers. It may take four to do the trick, so lets see if I can pull this off. Here is what I have so far.

SplineGod
04-27-2012, 03:15 PM
Like I said, I would not use clothfx/mdd files to do the wave action. Mdd files can be a bit more tricky to work with.
I looked at your test animation and this would be very simple to do using the method I described. :)

jimiclaybrooks
04-27-2012, 07:56 PM
OK, Here I have the water parted with the normal displacement tool. I used a weightmap to mark off the area that I wanted to sink. But as you can see, there are several problems. First, the square area of water that sinks is flat, from start to finish. I would rather have a gradual sinking of the water, as if a ball were rolling across the water. 2nd, I have to tweek the weightmap some more to change the hard edges and get a more curved area. The good news is, both deformations work together, so I can do the waves and the sinking at the same time. So, how can I get that bowling ball effect like I had with the cloth sim?

SplineGod
04-27-2012, 08:18 PM
Try the marker pen procedural in DPKit. You can move a null across a surface and it will draw a line with a variable thickness. Its got lots fo controls. Normall you would apply it in a color channel but you could just as easily use it to drive your morph. Keep in mind that several texture layers can be used to drive all this. All in all youre on the right track.

SplineGod
04-27-2012, 09:09 PM
Hey Jimi,
Heres a quick example using a null, value procedural and a gradient.

RebelHill
04-28-2012, 07:17 AM
thanks rebel!
I really suck at nodes, but I'll definitely give it a try. Wait! Are u saying I can use an MDD file as a displacement in the node editor?

No, I was saying to drive the displacement effect from the surface node editor and use the MDD in the regular way.

You can however use the displacement node editor to apply morfs, mdds, you name it, and mix them all up there any way you want, which is much more versatile. If you're using 9.6 you'll need the DP plugins to get MDD node.

jimiclaybrooks
04-29-2012, 09:12 AM
Larry, Thanks for the help. I guess I'll always be sitting at your feet when it comes to LWave. There are so many things I have yet to learn.
RebelHill, I appreciate what you're saying, and I do understand. Sounds interesting, and I'll try and find the time to play with the node editor more. At present, I'm taking care of my Moms, who had a stroke (2 actually), and it doesn't give me alot of time to do what I really want to do. It has also meant losing alot of income for myself, since she needs around the clock care. I appreciate the help guys, both of you are stellar:beerchug:
peace, out

jimiclaybrooks
04-29-2012, 02:10 PM
I've done everything that you did Larry, and it seems that the waters just won't part for me. So... here's the scene that I did. Maybe you can tell me what I missed. It's really not that complicated, and I just don't get it, why it won't work, but then that's the way things always go for me. :bangwall:

SplineGod
04-29-2012, 04:49 PM
Hey Jimi,
You were very close but forgot to do a couple of things...
The Value procedural needs to have a FALLOFF. In your scene I set the falloff to:
X-5%
Y-0%
Z-.5%
I set the partwaters null to start at -310m on the Z axis and finishes at 4m on the Z axis.
You might try also adjusting the keys in your gradient to control the shape of the valley
created by the Value procedural.
Give it a try again with these changes. :)

jimiclaybrooks
04-29-2012, 09:02 PM
OK, and thanks Larry. Obviously I didn't see that, and please don't ask me why. I should have picked up on that. :thumbsup:

SplineGod
04-30-2012, 02:24 AM
Thats ok, we tend to learn from our mistakes rather then success :)
Glad it worked out

jimiclaybrooks
04-30-2012, 12:17 PM
Larry,
I've been tweeking the falloff settings for the value procedural all morning, but the freakin hole just won't move. I've tried to approach it from all sides, to see what would make a difference, but have had no luck so far. I'm working on the original scene which is much larger than the samples you've seen so far. Could you tell me what are the steps you followed to mark off the perimeter of the procedural? I've tried to make the hole move from both ends of the timeline, but like I said,... nada, zilch, butkus!!:cursin:

jimiclaybrooks
04-30-2012, 01:41 PM
OK, Got IT!! And thanks again:thumbsup:

SplineGod
04-30-2012, 01:42 PM
ok, good :)