PDA

View Full Version : Hypervoxels and Render Buffers? No dice?

evolross
04-27-2012, 11:33 AM
Based on my tests in exrTrader and DPont's Node Image Filter, Hypervoxels are not showing up in any render buffers (e.g. depth, motion, raw, spec, etc.) in LW10.1.

Is this correct or is there some setting or something I'm doing wrong? If not, geez... Newtek connect up the wires so we can access Hypervoxels in the render buffers.

It's especially important for to get access to the motion buffer so we can do motion blur on particles in post. The motion blur system in Lightwave requires multiple passes to blur particles properly and it sends render times through the roof. I'm working on a scene now that needs 60 passes to properly motion blur my hypervoxel particles so I don't see any stepping (they come very close to camera). :mad:

evolross
05-01-2012, 06:48 PM
Anyone care to confirm the above?

Also, is it correct that volumetric plugins like Hypervoxels, DP Instance, etc, still do not work with photoreal motion blur? I'm pretty sure it's true for LW10.1. Is it true for LW11 too?

jeric_synergy
05-01-2012, 11:09 PM
No help from me, but I think you might want to send Lightwolf a msg directly.

Motion blur is the hot topic this month.

lino.grandi
05-02-2012, 06:54 AM

Also, is it correct that volumetric plugins like Hypervoxels, DP Instance, etc, still do not work with photoreal motion blur? I'm pretty sure it's true for LW10.1. Is it true for LW11 too?

Photoreal Motion Blur has not been thought to work with volumetric items.
The question will be exposed to the developers.

Depth buffer works here, in 11 as in 10.1 . Would be great to have a scene.

Celshader
05-02-2012, 09:25 AM

Camera blur, yes. Self blur, no.

Try it. Move the camera relative to the HyperVoxel while leaving the HyperVoxel static, and you will get Photoreal blur. Move the HyperVoxel while leaving the camera static, and you will not see any Photoreal blur.

Because of this, volumetric plug-ins can be safely used with Photoreal blur and 1-pass Motion Blur for static volumetric effects like flak explosions, volumetric-instanced trees, volumetric-instanced buildings, and planet atmospheres built with volumetric lights.

For moving volumetrics (ex: smoke), you will need to increase your Motion Blur passes.

Celshader
05-02-2012, 09:31 AM
Based on my tests in exrTrader and DPont's Node Image Filter, Hypervoxels are not showing up in any render buffers (e.g. depth, motion, raw, spec, etc.) in LW10.1.

HVs will show up in Depth. You just won't want to use the information you find in there.

At work our custom render pass system spawns the following as separate render passes in order to generate the correct buffer information:

Depth pass -- achieved by turning all HVs black, all objects matte black and adding white fog to the scene.

RGB-Depth pass -- turn all HVs luminous green (RGB 0 255 0) , all objects matte green (RGB 0 255 0), make the background black (RGB 0 0 0) and add red fog (RGB 255 0 0) to the scene. Use the red channel to isolate distant objects and the green channel to isolate closer objects.

Raw RGB -- disable all lighting/raytracing and set Ambient Intensity to 100%.

Diffuse -- disable "Affect Specular" on all lights.

Specular -- disable "Affect Diffuse" on all lights.

It's especially important for to get access to the motion buffer so we can do motion blur on particles in post. The motion blur system in Lightwave requires multiple passes to blur particles properly and it sends render times through the roof. I'm working on a scene now that needs 60 passes to properly motion blur my hypervoxel particles so I don't see any stepping (they come very close to camera). :mad:

For faster HV render times on Volumetric HVs, turn on Jittered Sampling and set the quality to Very Low.

For faster render times on Sprites, turn raytraced shadows off and use surfacing tricks to suggest shadow (ex: darken the lower half of each HV).

Consider using Dithered motion blur, and also consider enveloping the motion blur passes for the sections of the shot where the HVs are far away.

evolross
05-02-2012, 11:42 AM
Depth buffer works here, in 11 as in 10.1 . Would be great to have a scene.
You're right, I was able to get the depth buffer working in my hypervoxel scene. But none of the buffers work. Depth also works on other volumetric plugins like DP Instance in 10.1. Still no motion or other buffers though.

At work our custom render pass system spawns the following as separate render passes in order to generate the correct buffer information...
Thanks for the tips.

What's interesting is LW11 native instancing works with all the render buffers I've tried. So instancing in LW11 could be a Hypervoxel alternative if you need render buffers for post effects. Especially if you don't need voxel-blending and are using HV's in "surface" mode.

Celshader
05-02-2012, 11:54 AM
You're right, I was able to get the depth buffer working in my hypervoxel scene. But none of the buffers work. Depth also works on other volumetric plugins like DP Instance in 10.1. Still no motion or other buffers though.

I think the most recent DP_Instance has deeper access to render buffers. In the Effects->Volumetric tab, apply DP_Instance and double-click on it to open up its interface. It offers checkboxes for many of the render buffers (but not for Motion).

Thanks for the tips.

No prob. :)

What's interesting is LW11 native instancing works with all the render buffers I've tried. So instancing in LW11 could be a Hypervoxel alternative if you need render buffers for post effects. Especially if you don't need voxel-blending and are using HV's in "surface" mode.

FWIW, my experience with native instancing in LW11 is that all render buffers will work except for Motion. Native instances do appear in the Motion buffer, but the data is not useful for post-process motion blur at this time. I FogBugzed this issue in case the bug might be fixed in the near future.

evolross
05-02-2012, 03:53 PM
I think the most recent DP_Instance has deeper access to render buffers. In the Effects->Volumetric tab, apply DP_Instance and double-click on it to open up its interface. It offers checkboxes for many of the render buffers (but not for Motion).
Doh! I knew that. I had just forgot.

FWIW, my experience with native instancing in LW11 is that all render buffers will work except for Motion. Native instances do appear in the Motion buffer, but the data is not useful for post-process motion blur at this time. I FogBugzed this issue in case the bug might be fixed in the near future.
I forgot to mention the other big benefit of LW native instances over HVs, they work fully with photoreal motion blur. :)