PDA

View Full Version : What if Apple Kills The Mac Pro?

Tony3d
04-27-2012, 02:15 AM
If Apple kills the Mac Prod do you think Newtek will kill Lightwave development on the Mac?

UnCommonGrafx
04-27-2012, 03:15 AM
Silly thought.

Bytehawk
04-27-2012, 04:08 AM
If in doubt, try working on an imac. It's screen is absolutely perfect for LW use.

rsfd
04-27-2012, 06:23 AM
If Apple kills the Mac Prod do you think Newtek will kill Lightwave development on the Mac?
What connections are you trying to establish?

mike_stening
04-27-2012, 06:41 AM
there have been rumours that apple will stop producing the mac pros (not all macs).
can't think why as the advertising industry lives on macs so would cause a huge problem.
personally i would hate to have to use the imacs unless they sort out the reflective screen.
but even then i think i'd rather have the flexibility of the pro mac.
i doubt newtek would stop mac support because one product line was scrapped.
but its all fluff at the moment so nothing to panic about just yet.

3dworks
04-27-2012, 06:59 AM
there are signs that mountain lion will support a whole new set of video cards, which indicates that this line is probably not in the dead end yet. for many reasons and as widely discussed in dozens of forums it is rather unlikely that apple will drop the macpro line. but of course, you never know until it happens :D

LW can also be used on new imacs and mac books, and in any case existing mac pro's are still being used for a few years.

eblu
04-27-2012, 07:00 AM
see your other thread, tony.

mike_stening
04-27-2012, 07:02 AM
only just seen that other thread, doh!

Tony3d
04-27-2012, 07:04 AM
I was simply thinking that it's been just about two years since the last Mac Pro update, with absolutely no positive rumors. The Mac Pro I would think would be the heart and soul of Lightwave production on the Mac side, in what I'm sure is a very small piece of the pie already. I really hope I'm wrong, because I have my 7 grand in hand for a Lightwave upgrade, and New Mac Pro.

UnCommonGrafx
04-27-2012, 08:15 AM
Get a money market with that money and let it work for you for a bit.

As enigmatic as Apple is attempting to operate, I wouldn't ride the rumor-mill so readily. When it's time to let that $7k go, you will know it and no rumor will be a part of it.

Trying to follow all the rumors felt unproductive after a while.

Scazzino
04-27-2012, 09:30 PM
Even if they did discontinue the Mac Pro tower form factor that doesn't mean they wouldn't have any more high end Macs, they just might be in a different form factor.

Rick Hall
04-28-2012, 10:31 PM

I think Apple will do at least one more Mac Pro update. I think they will add Thunderbolt and the latest Ivy Bridge processors. The need for a new professional system is needed by many pro users in all media industries. Apple would make a ton of $$ but not as much as the iOS devices though.

Regards,

meshpig
04-29-2012, 06:02 AM
Silly thought.

Yeah a bit like when a major phone/isp provider pumps you with cheap shirt deals for next xmas in May instead because the network is in the "too hard basket" ... the freakin useless c***s. Apple has iTunes so far up it's own jackson it ought to be careful too not to lose the plot in the same dumb way.

UnCommonGrafx
04-29-2012, 09:33 AM
Right now, this is the thing I am looking at. I am, after all, a DIY, firstly.
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/HP-Z1-Teardown/8840/1

The Case that Apple builds can't die. Period.
Again, for me, a silly notion as the case alone is worth 500 to a thousand dollars. ;)

Tony3d
05-03-2012, 06:59 AM
Right now, this is the thing I am looking at. I am, after all, a DIY, firstly.
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/HP-Z1-Teardown/8840/1

The Case that Apple builds can't die. Period.
Again, for me, a silly notion as the case alone is worth 500 to a thousand dollars. ;)

I think that's pretty slick. Looks like HP trumped Apple on that one. If Apple would only get their heads out of the iOS devices long enough to take a breath, they may actually be able to produce a decent Mac Pro.