PDA

View Full Version : Middle mouse button?

jeric_synergy
04-27-2012, 01:46 AM
Aren't we supposed to be able to drag out a selection box in Layout, using the middle mouse button? :question:

'Cuz, it ain't working here. Logitech mouse.

meshpig
04-27-2012, 01:53 AM
It definitely works on PC's but I can't remember when it last worked on macs. OS 9.1? I agree it's a niggly pitb.

SplineGod
04-27-2012, 03:15 AM
Do you have it setup to do that in LWs preferences?

meshpig
04-27-2012, 04:50 AM
Where?

jeric_synergy
04-27-2012, 08:28 AM
Do you have it setup to do that in LWs preferences?
Larry, just went thru the Options Panel and PDF and couldn't find it. The nearest thing was " [_] Left Button Item Select", but turning that OFF did not enable Middle Button lasso selection.

(Finding "Default Scene Length" was nice though.) 8~ :bangwall: :foreheads :rock:

MMB does cycle thru programs though, which is new to me w/Windoze 7: maybe the mmb click is getting hijackked by the OS.

Ma3rk
04-27-2012, 11:16 AM
Aren't we supposed to be able to drag out a selection box in Layout, using the middle mouse button? :question:

'Cuz, it ain't working here. Logitech mouse.

I just discovered this myself only a week or so ago while watching one of the RHiggit! tutorials.

You'll need to make sure in your system tray Mouse properties that the Middle button is set to Unassigned. For years I've had my middle button set to double-click so had no idea that it was interfering. Nothing in the LW docs of course.

M.

jeric_synergy
04-27-2012, 12:46 PM
Nothing in the LW docs of course.
FEEL the anger! Use the anger! :cursin:

Yeah, I did a text search on "middle mouse" in the dox and found nothing about drag-selecting, but it might be in there under something else.

::cough::online evolving dox::cough:: :bday:

jeric_synergy
04-27-2012, 12:49 PM
You'll need to make sure in your system tray Mouse properties that the Middle button is set to Unassigned.
W7: I don't have any tray mouse icons, and I don't see anything related to the MMB in the Mouse Properties window. :(

Ma3rk
04-27-2012, 02:28 PM
Hmmm. Check in Control panel then.

If it's still not there (t'is on my W7 system), then I'd suggest snagging the Logitech utility & install it to gain access.

I didn't have to do anything within LW to get this to work, just set middle button to Generic or Unassigned as mentioned.

M.

jeric_synergy
04-27-2012, 03:20 PM
Yeah, went to logitech and got the utility. There was an appropriate setting, and as soon as this render gets paused, I'll check to see if it worked.

jeric_synergy
04-28-2012, 05:25 PM
Yeah, went to logitech and got the utility. There was an appropriate setting, and as soon as this render gets paused, I'll check to see if it worked.
OK, using the Logitech "SetPoint", tried setting MMB to "Unassigned" and "Middle Button", but neither had any effect in Layout.

Eventually the MMB got stuck on "Document Flip", so rebooting now.... 8~ :stumped: :2guns:

jeric_synergy
04-29-2012, 08:53 AM
FINALLY got it. There was a utility, "KatMouse" that hijacked the MMB and did various things-- I have no memory of installing this damn thing.

(Although I rather liked the "buncha angled panels of apps" switcher thingy-- that's a W7 feature, right? How do you get it normallly?)

After killing KatMouse, setting the Logitech mouse properties to "MMB=Middle Button" (not "Unassigned" as another poster said) restored Layout's "MMB Drag-Select" functionality. :thumbsup:

Huzzah.

Ma3rk
04-29-2012, 10:32 AM
It's always something, isn't it?

Well, congrats on finally resolving the problem. I know for me it was a big "ah HA" moment particularly when it came to selecting items in order to use Tim Albee's Pose Copy utility.

M.

BeeVee
04-30-2012, 04:45 PM
(Although I rather liked the "buncha angled panels of apps" switcher thingy-- that's a W7 feature, right? How do you get it normallly?)

It was in Vista first and you get it by using Win-Tab rather than Alt-Tab.

B

jeric_synergy
04-30-2012, 06:08 PM
It was in Vista first and you get it by using Win-Tab rather than Alt-Tab.
B
Hmmmmm..... I see that it should, but it doesn't here....

AHH! AE7 prevents that from happening. Once it's inactive, it works. Thanks, BeeVee.

Philbert
05-01-2012, 01:34 AM
Neat about the MKMB select, I'm not sure if I've ever used that.

(Although I rather liked the "buncha angled panels of apps" switcher thingy-- that's a W7 feature, right? How do you get it normallly?)[/INDENT]

This is called Flip 3D. My Logitech mouse (MX Revolution) has a button just for that by my thumb, though I never used it, I find it easier to just Alt+Tab. I actually set one of my mouse buttons as Alt+Tab so I can really quickly switch back and forth between two programs.

jeric_synergy
05-01-2012, 01:41 AM
Neat about the MKMB select, I'm not sure if I've ever used that.
When I cultivate it, it's cool. Of course, the nature of Layout means you won't use it all that often.

MMB is still rather undefined in the UI universe..... :)

BeeVee
05-01-2012, 10:00 AM
This is called Flip 3D. My Logitech mouse (MX Revolution) has a button just for that by my thumb, though I never used it, I find it easier to just Alt+Tab.

The one the Logitech SetPoint provides is not actually the same. SetPoint will put all the windows up side by side filling the screen and you click on the one you want.

B

Philbert
05-01-2012, 12:03 PM
I've never seen SetPoint do that. The only thing it's ever done for me is the standard Flip 3D from Windows that looks like they are stacked in 3D space and you can scroll (or flip) through them. Actually if it worked the way you describe I would probably use it more.

jeric_synergy
05-01-2012, 12:28 PM
I've never seen SetPoint do that. The only thing it's ever done for me is the standard Flip 3D from Windows that looks like they are stacked in 3D space and you can scroll (or flip) through them. Actually if it worked the way you describe I would probably use it more.
I can confirm that Setpoint has that other "Document Flip". IIRC the windows thing is called "Flow".

Philbert
05-01-2012, 01:12 PM
Windows Flip 3D is what I see.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Using-Aero-Flip-3D

Looks like it's now Ctrl+Win Key+Tab.

I looked up the other Logitech one and it looks like it's called Application Switcher. Maybe it's something I can turn on it SetPoint.

BeeVee
05-01-2012, 01:57 PM
You can assign it to a button in SetPoint.

B