PDA

View Full Version : "Red Tails" - LightWave

erikals
04-26-2012, 03:58 PM
 
"Red Tails" Delivers Monumental Maneuvers with LightWave >
http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/299/892

 

Netvudu
04-26-2012, 05:11 PM
That´s pretty cool. The people at Radical 3D have to be majorly proud about their work, and for a good reason. Congrats everybody there.

Of course, with all the airplanes project experience backing them up, it´s unsurprising they were capable of pulling this up.

allabulle
04-26-2012, 07:02 PM
Indeed, Netvudu. Some of the shots from Dog Fights were really impressive. I haven't seen the movie yet, but some of these days I'll rent de DVD just to watch those VFX.

Thanks for the link, erikals. :)

HenrikSkoglund
04-27-2012, 12:04 AM
Nice, thanks for posting Erikals.

short223
04-27-2012, 06:22 AM
So they just did the Pre Viz with Lightwave and ILM did the finishing work?

Nangleator
04-27-2012, 07:29 AM
Just the trailer of Red Tails told me this movie will probably have the best air combat ever seen in a movie. I'm a pilot and an air combat simmer, and I've been waiting for something like this for a long time.

Of course, it can't be too accurate, or it wouldn't make a good movie. The ratio of aircraft to air in most of those shots seems improbably high. And the little friends didn't like to stray too close to the bombers, mostly.

Amurrell
04-27-2012, 04:35 PM
And that's the way everyone should pimp out LightWave. The most successful marketing tool is from the mouths of people that use it. It's true. Most of the tutorials out there are done by the users of a product rather than the producers. I would like to see a lot more from the LW users, in this regard.

silviotoledo
04-27-2012, 09:13 PM
Do they get exported data ( animations and models )? or do they just use the video as reference and does evetything again?

Cageman
04-28-2012, 05:07 AM
Do they get exported data ( animations and models )? or do they just use the video as reference and does evetything again?

Read the article... it says:

"ILM took all the pre-vis we had, all our scene files and motion files from LightWave, with zero issues," McKinley says. "They used a lot of those motion files in the final animation—that was gratifying. There are shots in the film that are literally exactly the same as our pre-vis—nothing changed, not even a camera. Then you can see ones where they changed the camera a little bit, but it’s the same airplane motion. And then there are others that are a composite or hybrid of a couple shots we did."

erikals
04-28-2012, 01:40 PM
yes, for some reason LW seems to be number 1 for these kind of animations.
(NT should work on speeding up Layout and Modeler for high-poly meshes though...)

Philbert
04-29-2012, 12:45 AM
It almost seems futile to keep asking but yes, please NewTek, give us some Modeler updates.

Eagle66
04-30-2012, 10:52 AM
So they just did the Pre Viz with Lightwave and ILM did the finishing work?

Yes PreViz, for the final film they use 3ds Max and V-Ray, thats the bad news....:hey:

interview with ILM’s Paul Kavanagh
http://www.fxguide.com/fxguidetv/fxguidetv-132-red-tails/

jburford
04-30-2012, 11:36 AM
Bad News, Good News. go flip a coin to see how it lands. The take can go both ways, as I read it, they would not have gotten this far nor off the runway without Lightwave. All of the "Meat and Potatoes" Work was done with Lightwave and the final "Gravy" in another Pot......

and?