PDA

View Full Version : Bullet Implementation

Jim M
04-26-2012, 09:20 AM
Hi Everyone,

RE: Bullet.

Anyone have any idea why the texture box for glue strength has almost no usable effect? I have tried uv mapping, weightmaps through texture node, procedurals etc. It does something, but nothing useful. This is almost a travesty as it takes away a massive amount of control. Shame.
I havent bothered to try any others . You can animate glue strength for the whole parts body obj, but thats only useful for helping sims settle quickly, and that technique does work, a bit like kill speed daemons in RF.

Also there doesn't appear to be a way to get bullet to pick up the local surface. Procedurals are in world space regardless. Slightly ridiculous? Or I have special version of LW where the new features look pretty but aren't useful. Grrrr.

This stuff should work. Rant over.

+Surely there should be some built in caching so we can reset to initial state. AKA RF

Rant definitely over now.

The ability to apply different rbd parameters to different surfaces within a multipart rbo is obvious isn't it? I am amazed that this hasn't been properly implemented.

Rant fully over.

Seriously though, if anyone gets any of that stuff to work, please pipe up. I am impressed with bullet and can now get very stable sims out of it, but it seems very restricted for more creative constructions. see pic. would be so useful to be able to assign glue strengths on a per surface or texture or weight map or any vertex map basis.

Rant soon to be over.

Thanks,
Jim

lino.grandi
04-26-2012, 10:32 AM
I've tried to control the Glue Strength with a procedural texture, and works for me.
Be sure to set the Glue Strength value to 0% when using texturing, because that value overrides anything else.
And remember that the Breaking Angle and Distance are also important!

Sometimes you may want to set the Glue Strength to 100% and texture the Breaking Angle/Distance instead.

There are some Bullet videos here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialLightWave3D?feature=watch

I hope this helps (as long as the scene I've attached).

Jim M
05-01-2012, 02:20 AM
Thanks Lino.

From your example it doesn't seem obviously controllable.
I would like to see an example with a weight map or UVd mask. Because the world space issue procedurals are less useful. I certainly can't get a weight map to work (node texture hack), and there is no weight in the gradient for some reason. I will try a greyscale mask UV'd. with it set to 0%

Thanks.
J

Jim M
05-01-2012, 03:59 AM
Ok here is an example (using your setup) of gluestrength not functioning as it should/could. All the cubes behave as if they have a GS of 0.

lino.grandi
05-01-2012, 09:42 AM
Ok here is an example (using your setup) of gluestrength not functioning as it should/could. All the cubes behave as if they have a GS of 0.

The texture is set to multiply.

Try setting it to normal. ;)

Jim M
05-01-2012, 10:09 AM
Oh yeah, was one of many iterations. Thanks for pointing that out or might have exploded in an endless loop!

Can you get it to work with UV maps and a mask or a vertex map of any description? The procedural is useful for randomising the glue over the surface, but it doesn't look controllable if it changes through world space co-ords. It looks like it might be doing that, which is obviously a problem for very specific tasks.

I have tried getting a greyscale image to work to no avail, [email protected]% and blending modes present and correct in previous tests ;)

Cheers for the input.
J

lino.grandi
05-01-2012, 01:06 PM
Oh yeah, was one of many iterations. Thanks for pointing that out or might have exploded in an endless loop!

Can you get it to work with UV maps and a mask or a vertex map of any description? The procedural is useful for randomising the glue over the surface, but it doesn't look controllable if it changes through world space co-ords. It looks like it might be doing that, which is obviously a problem for very specific tasks.

I have tried getting a greyscale image to work to no avail, [email protected]% and blending modes present and correct in previous tests ;)

Cheers for the input.
J

Looks like Images and Weights can't be used at the moment. This will need some R&D!

Jim M
05-02-2012, 02:05 AM
Yes when those work + node editor functionality we weill have some very controllable and realistic looking multi material sims.
Thanks
J

Netvudu
04-03-2014, 09:24 AM
This ainīt working yet, is it?

kyuzo
10-03-2017, 09:53 AM
Ah.

Still not working apparently.