PDA

View Full Version : Combinding 3D with real photage

HolyMonkey-
04-25-2012, 12:51 PM
In general adding 3D to a real video, or a still image(read last paragraph)

Anyone know where to start?

To clarify : Still image are pretty straight forward, but Ive seen some techneque where people manage to extract shadow from the render, instead of faking it, and popping it on the image. But I have no idea how to do it!

Cheerio!

Dexter2999
04-25-2012, 01:49 PM
Search for HDR to match the lighting of the 3D Object to the live plate.

In LW search for Shadow Catcher to find techniques for taking shadows from LW back into your live footage.

prometheus
04-26-2012, 08:22 AM
Depends on, if you have LW11..thatīs real easy..

theres a free mov tutorial for the shadow caster somewhere on liberty3d I think, but I believe you must be logged in and registred.

otherwise, hereīs some quick starter for shadowcaster...

I tried it briefly once but didn't have much success (I was in a rush so will revisit). Looking throughout he manual, the example goes through steps to use the Real Lens Camera. Does it work with the others?

Dead easy when you know how to, well have only tested with perspective camera since thatīs my default.

you of course need to setup up your background image, add it with textured environment, and use front projection mode.

1.Go to the surface editor, select your groundplaneīs surface or whatever you want i to cast shadow on.
2. activate node, wich you might have missed(the little checkbox next to the node)
3. enter the node
4. add Material/shadowcaster
5. plug the shadowcaster material in to the surface material input...thats it!!
use vpr to see it cast shadow, put a decent ufo or something in there.
you might wanīt to have a large groundplane to cover it decently too.

But really, download the trial content from newtek under lw 11 trial.
There you have a shadowcaster scene, open it and study it...Itīs the dinosaur scene.