PDA

View Full Version : Modeling: Border on either side of a Edge?

jeric_synergy
04-24-2012, 07:26 PM
see JPEG:

In the given situation illustrated, I'd like a continuous border to be created on both sides of the selected Edge loop, one on the flat plane of the object, another inside the depression. But JUST around the green highlited Edges.

What's the best way to do that? The inside is trivial (Cut or Bandsaw), but the big flat area is baffling me. :stumped

Tnx!

Andrewstopheles
04-24-2012, 07:48 PM
bevel?

jeric_synergy
04-24-2012, 08:21 PM
But I don't want the outside edge of the big polygon to get a bevel/border. Just the bit around the selected Edges.

sandman300
04-24-2012, 10:30 PM
bevel, then select the n-gon and the outer border and merge polygons, then just delete on attached points (easy to select them from the point statistics panel).

voriax
04-24-2012, 10:50 PM
I was going to suggest using Edge Bevel, but I gave it a quick go and it went bonkers. Half went in, half went out.

Sandman's suggestion sounds best. Bevel it then delete/merge the stuff you dont want.

jeric_synergy
04-25-2012, 12:19 AM
Well, that seems to be the consensus.

I sure wish there was some sort of "External Bandsaw" available.

Thanks guys.

prometheus
04-25-2012, 01:53 AM
Dont know if rounder with the right setting could work?

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=103834&stc=1&d=1335340406

Michael

jeric_synergy
04-25-2012, 10:41 AM
Actually, this is all (painful) prep FOR Rounder, since Rounder isn't working for me here on the objects in question.

I get a variety of errors when I try this w/Rounder, so I'm doing this effect to make it more predictable.

dee
04-26-2012, 02:48 AM
This can easily be done with LWCad's Mass Offset.

jeric_synergy
04-26-2012, 08:18 AM
How I long for the cash to purchase LWCad.

prometheus
04-26-2012, 08:31 AM
This can easily be done with LWCad's Mass Offset.

Mass offset? well Im not sure that will work on native lightwave already constructed geometry and select edges and offset them, working with lwcads tools from scratch completly might be different thou.

Michael

jeric_synergy
04-26-2012, 08:58 AM
Dont know if rounder with the right setting could work?
Michael
Here's why I'm not using Rounder to get the fillet (chamfer?) I'm attempting. See JPEG. Note the size of the grid.

Rounder is just too unpredictable, when it works at all. I never know quite what it's going to cough out.

prometheus
04-26-2012, 10:20 AM
Here's why I'm not using Rounder to get the fillet (chamfer?) I'm attempting. See JPEG. Note the size of the grid.

Rounder is just too unpredictable, when it works at all. I never know quite what it's going to cough out.

Agreed ..it is tricky and could be improved, but I think I tested the Lw cad rounder on a certain part that would fail no matter how I set it, but with Lw native rounder that worked very well, so it ainīt all crap.

I think it might be best to simply bevel polys, merge polys as mentioned in one post above I think.

Im curious thou, would you mind posting the object file for testing, Im curious if I know some settings in rounder that works wich you donīt know about?

Edit..worked nicely on making these gym lockers and safety locker (I know to small image on the website)
http://www.gymleco.se/Produkter/Produktbilder/sl6_middle.png

http://www.gymleco.se/Produkter/Produktbilder/sn28_middle.png

And on some cushions on the machines from time to time..
http://www.gymleco.se/Produkter/Produktbilder/321_middle.png

Cheers
Michael

jeric_synergy
04-26-2012, 10:41 AM
I didn't save that last object, just whipped it up for testing.

But here's a thing: after the bad situation pictured, I UNDO'd, and tried again without changing any geometry but RESETting Rounder, and WALLAGH! it worked reasonably. But another inset in the same, uhhh, foundation (that is, a similar indent, so there was two), kept giving me "red line" status errors. I could never get Rounder to work on the second indent. That type of thing disinclines me from using Rounder very much, because I can invest too much time in one part of a model, only to be stymied an hour in.

Simple situations work best. Although, these were pretty darn simple, just a lot of points.

JoePoe
04-26-2012, 10:49 AM
Hey Jeric,

Also, you can use multishift with zero shift.... merge the four polys created around the box border with the big flat plane on top. Really just the same thing as the bevel solution.

The real issue is that you can only really go as far as the most extreme angle of your "shape" will allow.
That's a pretty sharp spot on the second example you posted. (see attached)

Also, you've got a LOT of points defining that curve. Use less (I think you can still get nice curves with less) and you'll have much less headaches (severe angle notwithstanding). With fewer points you can then massage that one trouble angle by hand if necessary.

prometheus
04-26-2012, 10:54 AM
Now.. if Newtek, or perhaps victor does it for Lwcad - invest in a nurbs tool, we just might be able to get cool surface projecting of curves and curve,edge offsets with much more ease and accuracy to work with.

would be nice to work with such things in the same manner as Rhino and Moi...steel the features please.

Michael

jeric_synergy
04-26-2012, 11:04 AM
Also, you've got a LOT of points defining that curve. Use less (I think you can still get nice curves with less) and you'll have much less headaches (severe angle notwithstanding). With fewer points you can then massage that one trouble angle by hand if necessary.
Thanks Joe. In a real production mesh, I would've reduced the points in that curve for sure, that was just something I whipped up for a test. :thumbsup:

I should really examine the ROUTER tool. Haven't seen a lot of discussion about that.

JoePoe
04-26-2012, 11:39 AM
Jeric, I see that you've got it figured out, but thought I'd post anyway.

At the very least I've got a Rounder tip for you.

Fig.1: pushed the inset too far and got wackyness.
Fig.2: Since you are dealing with Ngons anyway there is no reason why you can't use that to your advantage. Simple cleanup on severe angle (notice Ngons in corner).
Fig.3: Uh Oh, those Ngons cause trouble with rounder!
Fig.4: Get your settings adjusted in rounder (with the wackyness), hit undo, select rounder again and ONLY HIT THE "n" KEY. Everything should hold. Any adjustment with mouse or in numeric panel at this point will cause the wacky to return.

:)

dee
04-26-2012, 12:00 PM
Mass offset? well Im not sure that will work on native lightwave already constructed geometry and select edges and offset them, working with lwcads tools from scratch completly might be different thou.

Michael

It works for sure, I've tested it.

erikals
04-26-2012, 12:13 PM
just a trick btw,

overlap cleanup,
http://youtu.be/AcvSKAUW_yU

 

jeric_synergy
04-26-2012, 12:31 PM
Fig.4: Get your settings adjusted in rounder (with the wackyness), hit undo, select rounder again and ONLY HIT THE "n" KEY. Everything should hold. Any adjustment with mouse or in numeric panel at this point will cause the wacky to return.
:)
Good tip, but, sheesh, kinda random eh?

jeric_synergy
04-26-2012, 12:33 PM
just a trick btw,
overlap cleanup,
http://youtu.be/AcvSKAUW_yU

 
Wow, that's good. I never knew you could use Smooth that way. :thumbsup:

prometheus
04-27-2012, 03:27 AM
It works for sure, I've tested it.

Uhhm..Kind of, it doesnīt work on native lightwave object and edge selections, works on polys only so you would have to select the poly area created by the curves and offset that, and with lwcad you can choose single side or double side, but you would have to do the depth bevel inset afterwards, Or choose the outer polys outside of the curved shape and offset that.

But basicly you can do the same with multishift when the polys are selected before or after the depth extrusion/bevel wich creates the hole, but be sure to select the multishift Inset relaxed contour option, so thereīs no big difference between the native multishift tool and lwcad in this specific situation.

Michael

Mr. Wilde
04-28-2012, 06:13 AM
Good tip, but, sheesh, kinda random eh?

Extremely random, BUT reproducable. Rounder is a very strange tool, but once you get to know its quirks, it's pretty damn useful.

DrStrik9
04-28-2012, 11:08 AM
extremely random, but reproducable. Rounder is a very strange tool, but once you get to know its quirks, it's pretty damn useful.

+1