PDA

View Full Version : Spline Draw>>closed curve, directly?

jeric_synergy
04-24-2012, 06:22 PM
AFAIK, the only way to make a Closed Curve with the Spline Draw Tool is
to make an open curve,
reselect the points
use Make Closed Curve.

This is slightly ridiculous. Is there a way to jump straight from using Spline Draw to having a Closed Curve?

Tnx!

EDIT: hmmm, nothing apparent on lwplugindb.com .....

DrStrik9
04-24-2012, 06:42 PM
Welding the last two points works to make the curve closed.

jeric_synergy
04-24-2012, 07:01 PM
::pedant's hat: ON:: Strictly speaking, that's not quite the same, since a point is destroyed.

DrStrik9
04-24-2012, 07:18 PM
::pedant's hat: ON:: Strictly speaking, that's not quite the same, since a point is destroyed.

True, but I guess the point of using Spline Draw for making closed curves is to put the last point "close" to the first point you want on the closed curve, drop tool, select last point then first point, and weld.

It's the only way I know of for using Spline Draw to make a closed curve. So in answer to your original question, "NO," not "directly." :)

jeric_synergy
04-24-2012, 07:21 PM
Thanks man. I suppose this would be a grand opportunity to start learning Python. :)

D-Lab
04-25-2012, 12:30 AM
Hi,

You should open the numeric panel with every tool you use, you could discover interesting options :D

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=103831&stc=1&d=1335335346

Tchao

prometheus
04-25-2012, 01:21 AM
http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=103832&stc=1&d=1335338578
Hi,

You should open the numeric panel with every tool you use, you could discover interesting options :D

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=103831&stc=1&d=1335335346

Tchao

Lol..always keep the numeric panel side by side I thing:)

Pictrix Bezier_curve would be the ideal replace splinedraw tool if He starts to act on 64 bit plugins, closed curves are here checked by loop.

Apart from that you have a whole lot of other goodies in the tool such as tube, polygon create,belt, straight curves, extend,extrude ..snapping etc.

Just buy the plugin Newtek, and make it as the replacement tool for spline draw and make it 64 bit too.

DrStrik9
04-25-2012, 07:36 AM
That's the great thing about Alzheimer's: you learn so many new things each day. :D

jeric_synergy
04-25-2012, 10:37 AM

Son of a b*****!!! :bangwall::( :foreheads :foreheads :cursin:

For the record, I do keep the numeric panel open, and I coulda sworn the first thing I did was check it to see.

OBVIOUSLY, my memory is CRAP.

Well played, sir, WELL PLAYED. :bangwall::bangwall:

That's the great thing about Alzheimer's: you learn so many new things each day. :D
No frickin' kidding. :newhere:

Just buy the plugin Newtek, and make it as the replacement tool for spline draw and make it 64 bit too.
If only that would happen.

jeric_synergy
03-26-2013, 03:18 PM
BUMP: okay, STILL aggravating.

prometheus
03-26-2013, 04:40 PM
BUMP: okay, STILL aggravating.

What?.

Why on earth revise this? numeric value open as mentioned has a check box for closed curve, px_bezier is now also 64 bit, and you close the curve by checking loop.

Cheers.

Michael

jeric_synergy
03-26-2013, 05:36 PM
But that doesn't take an EXISTING Curve and simply close it, right?

Selecting >30 points is not my idea of a good time.

prometheus
03-26-2013, 05:41 PM
But that doesn't take an EXISTING Curve and simply close it, right?

Selecting >30 points is not my idea of a good time.

30 points for closing one curve?
you only need to select end and start point and make closed curve.

Edit..
Ahh..you want the smooth closed curve...I reckon, then I understand you.

jeric_synergy
03-26-2013, 08:05 PM
30 points for closing one curve?
you only need to select end and start point and make closed curve.

Edit..
Ahh..you want the smooth closed curve...I reckon, then I understand you.
Hmmm, you intrigue me with your words.... Larry's Spline Modeling DVD has him splitting, joining, and Smoothing Curves left and right. Maybe I can swipe something there.

MDL MDL MDL ...Joining Curves seems to work fine. I couldn't see a diff when I Smoothed them, but it might show up in Spline Patching. Which, oddly, I just used for the fiirst time yesterday.