PDA

View Full Version : Layer Tools: "delete layer" that handles names

jeric_synergy
04-24-2012, 03:11 PM
I'm using Faulkneramo's layer tools for most layer manipulations, but its "delete layer" doesn't properly handle layer names. The names get left behind.

Can anyone recommend a set of layer tools that they've had a lot of satisfaction with?

Thanks.

dee
04-26-2012, 02:50 AM
What's wrong with Modeler's own layer tools?

jeric_synergy
04-26-2012, 08:15 AM
Layer Tools: "delete layer" that handles names: (emph added)
IMO, they're buggy. ---I realize the following complaint is incredibly fussy:

Insert/Delete layers only work with names if there's geometry in or above (in a higher numbered layer) a layer. SO, when I pre-named a bunch of layers preparatory to starting work, and realized I forgot a specific layer, I couldn't insert a layer until I had added some geometry above it. (True story!)

Again, incredibly fussy.

I can imagine what went thru the coder's mind: "I'll go to the highest occupied layer, and start the code there." What the code doesn't test for is "highest occupied OR highest named layer".

The absolutely easy and dead simple workaround is to add a single point on some arbitrarily high # layer.

:o :o :o
(Aaaaand, I had forgotten NewTek made native tools. Seeing a bunch of old 3rd party Layer tools on lwplugin.db, and in my configs, I had assumed they were needed. :o :o :o )

Thanks for the tip!
:compbeati:deal::dance: