PDA

View Full Version : DVD drives in a Toaster machine

JReble
10-23-2003, 10:51 AM
Is anyone able to play DVD video disks with the Toaster board as the only onboard audio board? I notice that the DVD software players appear in the audio Mixer but they will not play audio sucessfully. (They generate some digital breakup very fast and then drop out completely.)

I finally dropped in a Soundblaster 16 PCI just to get audio output from my DVD drive. Works fine out the Soundblaster but the Toaster will still see the DVD player software and try to use the Toaster board as well which just makes noise for a while on that output while the SB output keeps going. Is anyone else aware of this issue? Is anyone playing DVDs with audio through the Toaster board properly?

Has anyone made sense of this conundrum? I can't seem to use the toaster board as the audio board where DVD's are concerned and I can't make the Toaster quit trying to route the DVD audio through it, even though it can't do it properly.

PIZAZZ
10-23-2003, 11:11 AM
Both our Systems allow us to play a DVD from the builtin DVDRoms or firewire external DVD writers. The audio routes through the VT audio mixer just fine. It does work better if I am running the VT software for fine tune volume control. The video is played back via the software though. It does not play through the VT software when even using Media Player as the DVD software.

Sooooo Yes it does work. How long has it been since you reformated and reinstalled the OS and VT3? also do you have Directx9 and MediaPlayer 9 installed??

JReble
10-23-2003, 11:23 AM
I've got a single P4 2.8Ghz with 1Gig of ram on an Intel D875PBZ motherboard. It has a fresh install of Windows 2000 sp4 with Direct X 9 and Mediaplayer 9 installed. No apparent problems elsewhere so far, but the audio through toaster weirds out anytime I play a DVD. It just plays ok for about 4 or 5 seconds then scrambles for 2 seconds then drops out. I've used a variety of DVD player apps with the same result.

PIZAZZ
10-23-2003, 11:53 AM
One difference we have is we are running on Windows XP. I am not sure if that does make a difference but thought I would point that out.

I finally had to totally uninstall and reformat one of our systems to fix the MPEG2 playback problems that were similar to what you are having. I kept trying different players and I think things started to muck up in Windows. After the reinstall every thing is working great.

From a reference credited to Paul Lara, we purchased and installed the Elecard Mpeg codec and player. It works awesome with DVD and Mpeg file playback.

BTW did you know that you could increase your operating speed by installing Windows XP on your system???

JReble
10-23-2003, 01:51 PM
Just for S & G's I did a uninstall and re-install of the Toaster software and repatched to the latest version of VT3. Now the Toaster audio mixer doesn't seem to pickup the DVD player software at all. It will see and pick up on the media player 9, but it doesn't see the DVD-X-Player or Ulead DVD players apps at all. I guess that's better than picking up on them and screwing up. Still doesn't make much sense though. :rolleyes:

Whelkn
10-23-2003, 04:30 PM
Im running Windows 2000 and I am able to play DVD's and hear the audio so its not W2K.

Jeremy

JReble
10-24-2003, 05:26 AM
Are you using a second audio board or are they playing through the Toaster board? If so, what player are you using and what version of vt?

ScorpioProd
10-24-2003, 04:02 PM
Works fine under Window2000 for me as well.

What DVD software are you using?

I use WinDVD.

Also note that your DVD drive MUST have DMA mode enabled for audio playback to work properly.

The only audio in/out I use is the Toaster's.

JReble
10-24-2003, 04:07 PM
Whelp, after a reinstall of the Toaster software and the dvd player, and setting Toaster as the preferred device again, it seems to work ok now. Don't know what the dealio was but it's working now.