PDA

View Full Version : Adobe CS6

BigHache
04-23-2012, 04:20 PM
Well it's ready for pre-order and the pricing structure is definitely geared toward the subscription route rather than purchasing a license. I was looking to upgrade my AE CS5 license, but that's nearly double the cost of the yearly subscription plan for the whole suite.

Curious to what others' thoughts are on this.

souzou
04-23-2012, 04:46 PM
We just upgraded our two CS5 suites while they had the recent 10% off special & free upgrade to CS6 when it ships. These cost slightly less than an annual cloud option, which wasn't available at the time anyway.

I like having the option of the monthly cloud version though, it means as a small studio if we need to bring a freelancer in to work for a month or two we don't have the outlay of a complete extra suite.

GandB
04-23-2012, 06:55 PM
I have CS5, and no need to update at all. There's nothing there to entice me to do so. I have a buddy that is still on CS3, and doesn't see the need to update that either.

DrStrik9
04-23-2012, 08:13 PM
My suspicion would be that the subscription price is "low" now, since they've established a pattern of upgrading every year ... but let's face it: the "upgrades" aren't nearly as wonderful as the early releases were ... sooooo ... let's get everyone buying the subscription nice and cheap now, then raise the subscription price over the next few cycles and eventually do away with license purchases.

I know, I'm cynical. But I know business, and I know human nature too ...

aidenvfx
04-23-2012, 08:23 PM
It's a smart move on adobe part. It allows for easy scaling and I suspect that there are certain programs customers will try when they get all for the $75 bucks a month and may decide to purchase some outright.

jasonwestmas
04-23-2012, 10:36 PM
As soon as GIMP or whatever other program get's 16bpc painting in order, I won't be using any photoshop. Total waste of money.

jasonwestmas
04-23-2012, 11:40 PM
"Enhanced! 16-bit support: PaintShop Pro X4
has extended 16-bit support to a range of tools
and adjustments, giving you even more precision
and flexibility when working with RAW formats.
Over 20 tools have been upgraded to 16-bit
support, including the Scratch Remover, Paint
Brush, Object Remover, Color Replacer, Warp
Brush, Mesh Warp, and Background Eraser."

http://www.corel.com/content/vpk/pspx4/pspx4_reviewersguide.pdf

meatycheesyboy
04-24-2012, 12:55 AM
My suspicion would be that the subscription price is "low" now, since they've established a pattern of upgrading every year ... but let's face it: the "upgrades" aren't nearly as wonderful as the early releases were ... sooooo ... let's get everyone buying the subscription nice and cheap now, then raise the subscription price over the next few cycles and eventually do away with license purchases.

I know, I'm cynical. But I know business, and I know human nature too ...

Even though I am positive that you are right, I couldn't pass up jumping from CS4 to CS6 for the next year at only $30/month.

evolross
04-24-2012, 01:02 AM
I'm actually rather enticed by the subscription offer. For me to upgrade to the CS6 Master Suite is $1399. That's 28 months at $50 per month. It seems the more advantageous route would be that of the subscription, since there no doubt will be new CS versions in that time (or at least point updates) that I assume I would get access to if I'm a subscriber. Though I'm sure they will raise monthly prices eventually. I did notice that you agree to a yearly contract at that price. So at least you know you're locked in at a set price for a year. It seems like a no brainier to pay two years of $50 a month, instead of $1399 all in one shot. It's like a win/win. The latest software with a more financially beneficial payment method. This is in my situation however, I'm upgrading from CS3. It could be better for others to pay outright.

EDIT: I guess I'm forgetting I've had CS3 for like five years without an upgrade. I have to remember at the end of the two years in the above scenario I would have to KEEP paying in order to have and use the software. I don't like to upgrade Adobe very often. Hmm...

Sarford
04-24-2012, 01:53 AM
That is the difference indeed.
When you take a subscription, at the end you have nothing, no software and you'll need to keep paying to if you want to do anything with the assets you created over the year. Don't forget that most software is NOT backwards compatible.
The paying route may look more expensive, but at least you'll have your software which you can use indefinitely (or as long as it works on your ever changing OS).

The subscription is great to get temporary licences for freelancers though.

safetyman
04-24-2012, 05:03 AM
We use Illustratror pretty extensively across our company and it's the most overpriced piece of software in history. Adobe can charge whatever they want because there's no competition. I used to use CorelDraw back in the late 90's and that version is superior to the latest version of Illy IMO and far far cheaper. If Photoshop had more robust vector tools, I'd drop Illustrator like a hot rock. The only good thing is I don't have to pay for this stuff myself.

BigHache
04-24-2012, 07:05 AM
I'm still rocking my CS(1) suite, which I would be happy to just keep doing except I want to retire my G5. Except for FCP, much of my computing is on Windows these days, which is neither here nor there for me. Since I mainly do motion graphics, the 3D additions to AE CS6 would be worth it to me. Honestly I haven't even bothered to look at Photoshop or any of the other packages because I just don't care. For 99% of the stuff I've needed to do I can use PS 7 or Illustrator 10 and it doesn't matter.

I also think this is a smart move on Adobe's part. I think this makes getting a legitimate license easier than a warez. Granted, some people download warez to just "collect", but we need to be honest, those people aren't using the software to make money and would never have bought it.

@DrStrik9 I'm sure that's the plan. Get everyone addicted, then up the price, then make the claim "The cloud subscription is what our customers have told us they want." Well that would be a half-truth which equals a 100% lie.

At any rate, cool, glad to hear thoughts on this.

meatycheesyboy
04-24-2012, 09:35 AM
That is the difference indeed.
When you take a subscription, at the end you have nothing, no software and you'll need to keep paying to if you want to do anything with the assets you created over the year. Don't forget that most software is NOT backwards compatible.
The paying route may look more expensive, but at least you'll have your software which you can use indefinitely (or as long as it works on your ever changing OS).

The subscription is great to get temporary licences for freelancers though.

Except, that isn't entirely true. When you buy the boxed software, you are buying the privilege to use the license, not the software itself. So, you can use it as long as you want unless Adobe shuts down their activation servers, you try to activate one time more than they like or you piss them off in some way and they decide to revoke your license.

It wouldn't be smart business to do that but it is within their rights under the EULA.

Tzan
04-24-2012, 09:42 AM
I still use PS 6. :)

I got that and Illustrator in a bundle with my Wacom 12x12 tablet back in 1997 I think.

Tonttu
04-24-2012, 09:58 AM
As soon as GIMP or whatever other program get's 16bpc painting in order, I won't be using any photoshop. Total waste of money.

Follow this thread (Krita for Windows): http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=137&t=97441&start=60

JBT27
04-24-2012, 10:04 AM
Hmm ... must admit the opening year at 27.45 or so per month is very tempting. I only bought into CS 5.5 last year, after years of having old versions of this that didn't talk to even older versions of that. I just gritted my teeth and went for the Master Collection, some of which I don't use, but alot I do.

I can't get the Cloud demo movie to run yet, and haven't read the small print, but it makes sense, and like smartphones and tablets, is probably the way things are going.

I bought AE CS4, but I'll never use it again, because I got CS5.5 ... there's the argument: I pay to borrow and use.

But I do agree that Adobe will slowly but surely hike the price up ... this time next year, I'd be looking at nearly 50 per month (which is comparable to the upgrade for the Master Collection), and for the rest of my working life (probably forever at this rate) Adobe get that amount from me every month, and more. Whereas right now, I can upgrade and then wait, not spend money.

Despite the diminishing feature upgrades, it's nice stuff, and having the latest and greatest, and access to everything, is very tempting ... though in truth my CS5.5 will do me for some time yet ...

Julian.

silviotoledo
04-24-2012, 10:15 AM
I still use PS 6. :)

I got that and Illustrator in a bundle with my Wacom 12x12 tablet back in 1997 I think.

I use photoshop 7 and it does everything I need in terms of image processing. It also have the Clean interface I love. I hate the CS versions because they killed the clean interface and added a lot of windows inside the work area. I also don't like the open gl acelerations.

Anyway the CS6 pack is very powerfull in the video area with Premiere and After effects so maybe I will acquire it this year. After is really good for compositing.

kopperdrake
04-24-2012, 10:20 AM
First full suite I bought was CS2 about 5 years ago, and recently bought (not upgraded) CS5.5 on a deal offer of around 800 including import duty, so I now have two suites. I don't really use CS5.5's Photoshop in any way different to CS2's Photoshop, and that's mainly down to me not really learning the new bits and bobs because the old bits and bobs do what I want.

I will likely wait another 5 years (or whatever it was) before buying outright CS9/10 or whatever it is then. If I get the same deal then that will cost me around 160 a year, which is cheaper than subscription at just under 50 ($75) a month. In fact, even if I had to pay full whack it would be cheaper to buy outright every 5 years.

safetyman
04-24-2012, 12:49 PM
To be honest, Photoshop is adding a lot of useful new things (the Content Aware stuff in particular -- saved me a lot of work many times), but I can't see buying the suite when PS is the only thing that's getting attention. Illustrator CS5.5 had zero changes from CS5 and the things they've added since CS3 should have been there all along, years ago in fact.

This subscription thing may work better for individuals, but I wonder how our corporate managers will view this. They may say that we can't do upgrades every year because it's getting too expensive. Remains to be seen.

mborge
04-24-2012, 02:38 PM
One MAJOR consideration - Any ongoing subscription is a clear Tax write-off. Same with leasing equipment, continuing memberships etc.

So, something to consider if you're looking at it here in the US.

DrStrik9
04-24-2012, 07:58 PM
One MAJOR consideration - Any ongoing subscription is a clear Tax write-off. Same with leasing equipment, continuing memberships etc.

So, something to consider if you're looking at it here in the US.

But then again, so is license purchase. (Tax deductability.)

Riff_Masteroff
04-25-2012, 09:45 PM
I purchased an upgrade to PS 7.01 in 2002 and still use it. Great stuff.

I do keep an up-to-date Fusion, that I think has advanced capabilities rivaling Adobe ($395/yr subscription).

And I use exrtrader for data transfer to Fusion.

evolross
04-30-2012, 12:03 AM
I've found the latest versions of Photoshop Extended to be quite useful. The "Extended" version supports VFX formats like HDR, radiance, DPX, EXR, etc. It also lets you load image sequences which makes it a really great paint tool for visual effects work. Everyone in the shop I work at both use it and swear by it. Mostly because once you can import an image sequence you get all of Photoshop's great painting and cloning tools, where actually trying to do paint work in AE, Fusion, and even Nuke is kind of a pain and limited.

JonW
04-30-2012, 02:07 AM
Still using PS CS1 (8.0). Images from my 5Dmk2 I convert with DNG & recover edge pixels. Use Ptools for remapping all on a Mac Mini. PS has 1723 mb of ram if I open it first.