PDA

View Full Version : Move Tool - Strange Behavior

digitalimagery
04-23-2012, 10:48 AM
I just loaded Parallels on my Mac so I can load Windows/LW/Bevel++ Plug in.

I'm now up and running (Thanks NewTek Tech Support) and have just imported an eps logo. When I use the move tool I barely touch the model and start to drag and it shoots off in strange directions and great distances.

Is there a setting that may be set weird that I can check? Has anyone with the same set up experienced this strange phenomena? I'm running out of time and all this software purchasing/loading is limiting my production time. Now I'm dealing with this.

Thanks to anyone who may know what's causing this. BTW the same thing happened when using the text tool when trying to move that model the same way.

Appreciate any insight.
DI

Sensei
04-23-2012, 10:51 AM
Check out Display Options > Interface > Input Device Tablet.. and also Nav tab.

digitalimagery
04-23-2012, 10:59 AM
Interface is set to mouse - most other settings are at default. I don't see a NAV tab, where is that?

Thanks for the quick response, you helping me is becoming a habit.
DI

Sensei
04-23-2012, 11:00 AM
Nav is in LW v11.

digitalimagery
04-23-2012, 11:04 AM
I'm using 9.6 (although have 10 on my Mac). Anyway - more info. I'm able to have normal control for moving when using the extrude tool - which makes this more strange. Could this be a bug?

DI

Sensei
04-23-2012, 11:12 AM
I would do what everybody in such situation- delete configs.

If it won't help, maybe it's not LW problem at all, but something with OS.

digitalimagery
04-23-2012, 11:15 AM
I've also noticed if I try to use the Magnifying glass the same strange behavior happens there. Moving it the opposite does nothing different but rather continues to reduce in the original direction at very large values.

Thanks. Going to try a total reboot of system and software.

DI

Dexter2999
04-23-2012, 11:22 AM
MMmmmm....Are you in wireframe mode when this "shooting off" thing happens? Or are you in a shaded mode?

Are your movements generating non-planar polys? Because this is par for the course when that happens. I would accuse Bevel of doing this but you said you are using Bevel++ and I haven't had that experience with that tool.

digitalimagery
04-23-2012, 12:14 PM
To answer your question yes I'm in wire frame mode when the model takes off when attempting to re position with the move tool.

DI

digitalimagery
04-23-2012, 12:27 PM
My goal with the Parallels application running Windows on the iMac was to have access to the Bevel++ plug in which works like a dream come true. Kudos to SoftGeometry for such a great plugin.

Although using the same move feature made interaction with bevel++ impossible I was able to use the numeric dialog to create the desired bevel effect which I'll post later.

At this point I can move back to my Mac version and pick up from here. Thanks to all who chimed in on this. Problem still exist if any LW people are following this.

Thanks LW Community
DI

Dexter2999
04-23-2012, 01:09 PM
The whole part was moving wildly? I thought you were saying points were the culprit.

Was this a relatively small part on an overall much much larger object? I have read on the forums where when you zoom in just so far the move tool is relative to the overall object. I think I ran across something like this long long ago and my solution was to copy the piece to a new object. Make my changes. Then copy it back into the large object.

Don't know if that is the problem you are encountering or not. Curious to find out though.

BeeVee
04-23-2012, 02:30 PM
The problem is that Parallels can't handle relative movements of the mouse. You need to switch to Tablet mode.

B