PDA

View Full Version : Camera zoom, GE values: millimeters, please

jeric_synergy
04-23-2012, 10:07 AM
It's probably just me, but I struggle with the camera zoom workflow.

the Zoom Tool doesn't seem to allow you to make zoom keyframes. One would think that when the Zoom tool is active, a user could make a keyframe in the normal fashion. That does not seem to be the case. :devil:

And, is there a way to use millimeters of focal length rather than the obscure "Zoom Factor" values when using the GE? Maybe some expression and an "x-channel"???

biliousfrog
04-24-2012, 04:33 AM
I'm using LW11, I've found that the graph editor does use focal length instead of zoom factor...I'm sure it wasn't always the case, eg. 0.5 in graph editor = 50mm, 0.28 = 28mm, 1.0 = 100mm

jeric_synergy
04-24-2012, 09:18 AM
Well crud, I'm using LW11.0.1, and am 'stuck' (probably thru ignorance) with Zoom Factor.

I'm suspecting there may be a toggle or switch somewhere to choose between the two....

D-Lab
04-24-2012, 09:57 AM
Hi,

The channel name in the graph editor is always Camera.ZoomFactor but you can choose the way the value of the keys is displayed in the option I've highlighted here :

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=103806&stc=1&d=1335282883

The lens Focal Length is displayed in meter.

In LightWave 11.0.1 64b.

Tchao

jeric_synergy
04-24-2012, 10:13 AM
Thanks, D-Lab, I wouldna ever thought to look there! (Hmmm, now must examine that for every parameter...oh, it only exists for ZoomFactor.)

Meters, eh? Big lens. (Okay, that was a weak joke.)

AutoKey does seem to work with the Zoom Tool, but keyframes are not displayed in the Timeline. Grrrr. It would really make sense if keyframes AT LEAST showed up when the Zoom Tool was engaged, although both when the Camera is selected and the Zoom Tool was engaged would also make sense.

biliousfrog
04-25-2012, 01:18 AM
You can set an expression to link the zoom with a null, then the null's position would generate any keyframes...or a slider

jeric_synergy
04-25-2012, 11:19 AM
You can set an expression to link the zoom with a null, then the null's position would generate any keyframes...or a slider
Meh. You shouldn't have to. If the Envelope is ON and Autokeyframes ON, adjusting the zoom with the Zoom Tool should display keys in the timeline, without hanging a bunch of levers and bungee cords on it.