PDA

View Full Version : Align to Path: snapping at end?

jeric_synergy
04-23-2012, 09:16 AM
I've got two very similar objects, following similar paths. Have set Heading & Pitch controllers to Align To Path.

One object smoothly follows its path and settles down perfectly into its final resting place. The other "snaps" into place at the end.

I tried putting Tension at 1 for the snappy object, but that didn't help, and in fact the smooth object doesn't have Tension=1.

Why might one work so well ::gnash::, and the other be snappy?
:stumped: :hammer: :bangwall:

jeric_synergy
04-23-2012, 09:25 AM
Ummmmm, shouldn't the Y value in the Main coordinate window agree with the value of a Y keyframe in the GE when the app is setting on a keyframe?

I'm seeing two different numbers in the two panels.

BeeVee
04-23-2012, 02:45 PM
Were the objects originally pointing along the paths they were aligned to?

B

jeric_synergy
04-23-2012, 03:02 PM
Yep. It's a 'flying together' logo, and the parts in question are sliding down their motion paths into place, along the z-axis with some slight curving. (I forgot and tried to make one fly 'backwards', but that's not the one in question.)

I'd understand if both pieces were snapping, but one settles very nicely, and the other snaps badly, although their m.paths are similar (but mirror image). Attempting to give the snappy one more straight lead-in into it's resting spot has so far been fruitless. 8~ :(

BeeVee
04-23-2012, 03:20 PM
What I'm saying is that the one that slides into place smoothly was modelled in the same direction as the motion path it is following, while the one that snaps is facing a different direction in Modeler so snaps around to that rotation at the end of the motion path - something that has happened since align to path was added in 3.5 or 4?

B

jeric_synergy
04-23-2012, 11:59 PM
Nope. Paths are essentially an X-axis mirrors, and the two pieces in q. are facing the same way.

I know what you're saying, but this ain't that. It's not a 180 snap, it's just a little jump. But a distinct jump.

K-Dawg
04-24-2012, 01:37 AM
Make sure you have a keyframe on all channels of the snapping object. See if that is it.

jeric_synergy
04-24-2012, 09:19 AM
K-Dawg, thanks, that sounds likely. I'll examine that after lunch.....

K-Dawg
04-25-2012, 06:11 AM
Any News if that was it?

D-Lab
04-25-2012, 02:51 PM
Hi,

I've got the same behavior with object rotating at the end of its path with align to path set on heading and pitch.

For the object maintains its path alignment, set the last key of your motion on the heading and pitch channels (those with Align to path) with the values you see in the Numeric Adjustment Controls and the object won't move anymore.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=103852&stc=1&d=1335387063

Tchao