PDA

View Full Version : Grouping layers in modeler

MarcusM
04-23-2012, 02:36 AM
Is there a plugin for grouping layers in modeler to do hierarchy?
It is simple but could be very useful and I am sure that already every lightwaver needed this.

rikka+
04-23-2012, 02:44 AM
Clicking the small triangle in the right upper corner of the layer tab open a small menu with a hierarchy setting, with that you can make group of parented layer just dragging them.
Hope it helps

UnCommonGrafx
04-23-2012, 02:44 AM
No need; try that arrow in the upper-right: offers hierarchy control right there in modeler.

Cool.

MarcusM
04-23-2012, 03:00 AM
Thank you for answer but I don't mean parenting.

I want put few layers under another. Then when I click on "father" layer I want have visible all "children". Now you need to click on each layer to have them visible.

UnCommonGrafx
04-23-2012, 03:14 AM
Ah.

Neat idea for a script.

Lewis
04-23-2012, 04:30 AM
Nope, no such thing in LWM as grouping layers and yes work with many layers can be PITA when you need to click half of them on and half off or as BG, it's tiresome :(.

3DGFXStudios
04-23-2012, 04:48 AM
I think this is a very good idea. It should work just like in the scene editor in layout.

Skonk
04-23-2012, 08:00 AM
What it needs is something similar to how in Photoshop you can create a folder and drop multiple layers into it letting you then turn visibility on and off for the entire folder.

jeric_synergy
04-23-2012, 08:52 AM
Nope, no such thing in LWM as grouping layers and yes work with many layers can be PITA when you need to click half of them on and half off or as BG, it's tiresome :(.
There's an LScript called LAYER SETS which allows you to define 2 layer sets with user-set back/foreground activations.

Clicking on CALL LAYER SET then toggles between the two sets.

For what it is, it's perfect. :thumbsup: Obviously, it might be nicer to have more sets, but this is quick and to the point. Heck, 98% of the time two sets is probably all one needs.

http://lwplugindb.com/Plugin.aspx?id=acb17767
Remember to add tags when you use lwplugingdb.com.

Lewis
04-23-2012, 09:50 AM
There is also 3rd party plugins for "select layers range" and "show selected layer" which both work nice but non of that (along with one Jeric suggested) is native or full solution we should have after all those years waiting and asking for it :).

jeric_synergy
04-23-2012, 10:03 AM
..... but non of that (along with one Jeric suggested) is native or full solution we should have after all those years waiting and asking for it :).
Well, yeah. Many simple things that I swear a NewTek coder could knock out in a few hours haven't been done.

It's a mystery.

Heck, sometimes they could just BUY the code and make it native. I don't know why that isn't done.

Lewis
04-23-2012, 01:14 PM
It's a mystery.

No it's not mistery, they just don't .... ahh i give up there is no point, if they don't care why should would we.

jeric_synergy
04-23-2012, 01:40 PM
METAPHOR OVERLOAD:

I know we've "beaten this dead horse" but: to me it's like NewTek ignores "low-hanging fruit", but "swings for the fences" on the more complicated stuff, such as MDD exchange and the real "rocket science" stuff. (4 metaphors, not bad.)

Like: data exchange with Maya, fantastic! Bravo! But Layer utilities? That's just crazy talk.

Making users habitually go to 3rd party amateur coders, no matter how talented, for basic functionality (e.g. ohhhh, "Consolidate Layers") just seems ....peculiar.

And if there's internal infrastructural problem that prevents this, why not figure out some sort of OFFICIAL crowd-sourcing thing?