PDA

View Full Version : GoZ workflow?

KelsyDavis
04-23-2012, 12:20 AM
My main concern how is how to preserve detail from ZBrush to LW11. I usually start model in LW11, GoZ to ZBrush, create UV maps and add detail, then I send back to LW11. None of the work I did in ZBrush show in Modeler. I can get some detail in Layout, but I have to crank my subdivision level from default (3) to beyond (100). I'm sure my computer wouldn't be able to render a sub-d that high.

Am I doing something wrong or missing an important step?

Baba
04-23-2012, 02:09 AM
That you're not seeing any detail in modeler is normal, modeler works on the lowest subdivision. Clever use of displacement and normalmaps gets the detail in lay out. Do a search on the forum there are several threads with tips. Be warned that there is some kind of bug in Goz in that messes up the translating of the normalmap, its a bit hit and/or miss atm ...

lino.grandi
04-23-2012, 12:05 PM
A video about the GoZ implementation in LightWave is absolutely needed. we'll be working on that and we'll upload it to the Official LightWave3D YouTube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialLightWave3D?feature=watch

KelsyDavis
04-25-2012, 08:06 AM
Cool Lino, I think your tutorials are the best and easy to understand. I have a good understanding of rigging/animation and bullet dynamics due to you. I will stay tuned to you tube.

Tools like LW11 are priceless to independent/solo artists like myself. I think the hardest thing to grasp for an upstart is the "pipeline" between programs usually found in small budget indie studios (ex: LW11 to ZBrush and back; getting camera info and/or footage from AE to LW11; or creating/sending multi-passes from LW11 to AE for final composite). I would pay for those tutorials.

I have scoured the internet, read my program manuals, and searched this site for all these answers (and tried to dream up a few on my own). Certain things are clearer to me, but nothing does the trick like a good video tutorial.

evolross
09-07-2012, 02:33 PM
Okay, trying to use GoZ for the first time and having all sorts of problems. Since on the all-new Lightwave 3D website there's no download for Lightwave 11 documentation (only Lightwave 10 :stumped:) and there's no video tutorials on how to use it (aside from a single video on FiberMesh :stumped:), I'm kind of left to just experiment I guess. :confused:

I'm trying to model low-poly game objects in Lightwave and use ZBrush to sculpt and add bump, then bake out their color, displacement, and normal. Think rocks and logs and things like that. Basically low poly objects with normal maps made from a high-poly subdivided model in ZBrush.

1. I create my low poly object in LW.
2. I layout UV's using PLG tools in LW.
3. I send the object to Layout where I press GoZ. (By the way, haven't figured out how to make ZBrush see the objects UVs yet :stumped:).
4. In ZBrush I subdivide the object to level of sculpting detail satisfaction.
5. I sculpt, detail, and paint.
6. I bake out the color, normal, and displacement maps.
7. I set the object's subdivision level back to 1 and GoZ back to Lightwave.

So far every time I hit GoZ in ZBrush back to Ligthwave I get a completely different result. Sometimes I get the same object and it's mesh is deformed, but there's no displacement or normal maps setup, the geometry of the original mesh itself is changed. Sometimes I get a NEW object added to my scene that has a higher number of polys and has the displacement, normal, and color maps setup. Sometimes it adds a subdivision object, sometimes not...?

Please help. Nothing like a shiny awesome feature that's a complete mystery.

Empedokles
09-07-2012, 03:41 PM
When I do it the way you describe it, it works normally for me - I donīt get that strange behaviour. Looks to me like GoZ is messed up. Did you probably upgrade to 4R4 without prior deinstalling 4R3? That wrecked my GoZ installation and someone else on the forums had the problem as well - though with different symptoms. You could try "Preferences -> GoZ -> Force reinstall" in ZBrush and if that doesnīt help reinstalling 4R4. That fixed the GoZ problems for me at least.

Baba
09-08-2012, 06:38 AM
Before you go upping the res in ZBrush store a morph target and when you're ready to go back to LW switch back to the stored target. Should help ...

evolross
09-10-2012, 03:40 PM
Do I want to use the "Make Polymesh3D" option in ZBrush?

- - - Updated - - -

Do I want to use the "Make Polymesh3D" option in ZBrush?

Julez4001
09-11-2012, 07:40 AM
For new users of GoZ, Newtek and other users may be assuming that you have some basic house cleaning knowledge of Zbrush and pre-LW 11 playbook.

GoZ tries to set your object back to subdvision 1 before it sends to Lightwave. However if you make some changes to the base mesh. Send that back to Lightwave before upping sub-d count.
Just for yucks, make your UVs in Zbrush and see if it carries back over.

Julez4001
09-11-2012, 07:54 AM
For new users of GoZ, Newtek and other users may be assuming that you have some basic house cleaning knowledge of Zbrush and pre-LW 11 playbook.

GoZ tries to set your object back to subdvision 1 before it sends to Lightwave. However if you make some changes to the base mesh. Send that back to Lightwave before upping sub-d count.
Just for yucks, make your UVs in Zbrush and see if it carries back over.

- - - Updated - - -

A video about the GoZ implementation in LightWave is absolutely needed. we'll be working on that and we'll upload it to the Official LightWave3D YouTube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialLightWave3D?feature=watch

Will we still be getting this video, Lino?

rcallicotte
09-11-2012, 08:28 AM
:agree:

Cool Lino, I think your tutorials are the best and easy to understand.

lwaddict
09-16-2012, 10:16 PM
Video please. I'm just testing this feature out on the 30 day trial and it's a total waste of time.
Been using Lightwave since version 5 and using Zbrush the hard way since version 4...
GoZ was supposed to be awesome... so far, it's totally not.
Help us Obi Wan?

Sande
09-17-2012, 06:24 AM
Just a quick question: how do you define polygroups now in Modeler?

It seems that GoZ doesn't transfer polygroups from Modeler's parts. Nor surfaces. In the past I could define parts in Modeler, then use ZBrush compatibility-mode in .obj-export and I had nice polygroups in ZBrush after importing the .obj-file.

Now with 11 there is no ZBrush compatibility mode in .obj-settings and the parts don't convert to polygroups anymore and I haven't found a way to define parts with GoZ...

digitaldoc
09-18-2012, 07:31 AM
You are correct Sande, GoZ does not transfer polygroups.

You have to do it the old-fashioned way, as you mentioned. LW --> OBJ OBJ into ZBrush where surfaces are seen as polygroups, albeit with very subtle difference in shading.

Can then use GoZ back into LW.

I did find that if you create a new unwrapped uv map in ZBrush with this method, when you are back in LW, you can copy the uv's from the OBJ-Polygrouped.lwo and paste them in a new map to the original LW object where you have all your surfaces, weight maps, morphs etc stored with a little unwelding and merging points.