PDA

View Full Version : Laughable technique: embedding info in LWOs.

jeric_synergy
04-22-2012, 10:02 PM
OK, I feel so lame, but thought I'd share:

I wanted to embed some Rounder parameters in my object because my desk is a hopeless mess. Since you can't save Rounder parameters (thank god for Multishift's SAVE function) I was worried I'd forget what values I used.

So, I used the comment field in the Surface Editor to record some parameters in the Default Surface, which I then renamed to "INFO HOLDER". ( I could also use the Node Editor comment field, which is much longer.)

There!: a plugin-free method of documenting objects that works in both Modeler and Layout. :D

THREEL
04-22-2012, 10:14 PM
OK, I feel so lame, but thought I'd share:

I wanted to embed some Rounder parameters in my object because my desk is a hopeless mess. Since you can't save Rounder parameters (thank god for Multishift's SAVE function) I was worried I'd forget what values I used.

So, I used the comment field in the Surface Editor to record some parameters in the Default Surface, which I then renamed to "INFO HOLDER". ( I could also use the Node Editor comment field, which is much longer.)

There!: a plugin-free method of documenting objects that works in both Modeler and Layout. :D

Or... If you model something that has an internal surface like cabinets, or the like, or something that has a definite underside, you could etch them in the surface. Something like when you pour a cement sidewalk and you imprint your name, date, and handprints, before it dries. :D:thumbsup:

jeric_synergy
04-22-2012, 11:53 PM
I've done that too, but it's pretty laborious.

Also: if you rename the surface to "aINFO HOLDER", it'll be at the top of the Surface list for that object. (You have to close/reopen the SE to see this.)

BeeVee
04-23-2012, 02:10 AM
If you really want it to be at the top, use an underscore instead. After all, if your surfaces for the object include Adamantium; Aardvarkarine and Abracadabra, aInfo Holder is not going to be at the top. ;)

B

jburford
04-23-2012, 03:02 AM
Good Info! How about putting this in the Techniques, Tips and Tricks Section?

jeric_synergy
04-23-2012, 08:35 AM
Where's my nickel!?

:ohmy:

DrStrik9
04-23-2012, 09:53 AM
If you really want it to be at the top, use an underscore instead. After all, if your surfaces for the object include Adamantium; Aardvarkarine and Abracadabra, aInfo Holder is not going to be at the top. ;)

B

BeeVee: The Founder of ASCII Awareness Week. :D

dwburman
04-23-2012, 10:08 AM
Just make sure you have a poly somewhere with that surface applied, even if it's hidden, right?

jeric_synergy
04-23-2012, 01:43 PM
Just make sure you have a poly somewhere with that surface applied, even if it's hidden, right?
Yup. I buried it in the geometry, but hidden might be better.

I guess it could be just a one point poly, but that is in grave danger of being deleted during cleanup. I made a tiny quad.

THREEL
04-23-2012, 10:07 PM
Good Info! How about putting this in the Techniques, Tips and Tricks Section?

Maybe, William Vaughan could do a video tutorial on it... :D

dwburman
04-29-2012, 10:14 AM
When I said it, I meant buried, but darn it, you could put it on a hidden layer if you don't need to see the surface in Layout.

Yup. I buried it in the geometry, but hidden might be better.

I guess it could be just a one point poly, but that is in grave danger of being deleted during cleanup. I made a tiny quad.

bazsa73
04-29-2012, 10:31 AM
you can write the settings with the text tool and save it into the model :D

jeric_synergy
04-29-2012, 02:29 PM
When I said it, I meant buried, but darn it, you could put it on a hidden layer if you don't need to see the surface in Layout.
Oh right: a Hidden surface, if it's the only one, wouldn't show up in Layout.

So you're right: BURIED is better than Hidden.

chco2
05-02-2012, 01:55 AM
Hmm, you lost me after "OK" in the first post.. :stumped:

jeric_synergy
05-02-2012, 08:44 AM
Hmm, you lost me after "OK" in the first post.. :stumped:
It boils down to:

"There!: a plugin-free method of documenting objects that works in both Modeler and Layout."

digefxgrp
05-03-2012, 03:22 AM
For years now I've saved various 'tool setting numbers' by using point-group names.

For example, if there's a bevel setting I want to keep...I'll just select two of the points of said bevel, name 'em something like Bev_200mm_50mm (or whatever) and it's easy=peesy to recall in the statistics panel...and since you can have multiple names for points, there's far less chance of those names getting deleted or lost by accidentally renaming them.

I'll again have to search out the "comment plugin" that use to be available for Modeler. I know I use to use one eons ago, but it could have been a pre-6 thing though...or even something back in the days of the Amiga. Anyhow I started using the above method and have stuck with that.

jeric_synergy
05-03-2012, 08:22 AM
For years now I've saved various 'tool setting numbers' by using point-group names.
Nice. :thumbsup: