PDA

View Full Version : Apparent professionalism: YouTube or Vimeo?

ShadowMystic
04-22-2012, 07:40 PM
I see the majority of videos presented hear appear to be on Vimeo rather than YouTube. YouTube is nice for familiarity, but, if you were a producer, would you consider whether a demo reel is presented on vimeo or YouTube(aside from a dvd in hand with a spectacular design.)

Dexter2999
04-22-2012, 08:27 PM
Actually, for professionalism, they should be hosted on your own site. I agreed Vimeo was better a couple of years ago, but now YouTube has HD and really, its good enough.

And if you are posting videos for professional reasons, disable comments or make the video private. Last thing you want when you are trying to put out something related to your business is a bunch of trolls leaving crap all over your page.

DrStrik9
04-22-2012, 09:15 PM
Last thing you want when you are trying to put out something related to your business is a bunch of trolls leaving crap all over your page.

Where's the "like" button? :D

speismonqui
04-23-2012, 12:14 AM
I'd go with Vimeo.

I like to have Vimeo and my work mail address completely away from Youtube and my personal mail address. Vimeo is more (I think) dedicated and related to personal portfolios, reels, etc. While Youtube is just a big endless channels Television.

And what Dexter said :thumbsup:

Greenlaw
04-23-2012, 01:26 AM
No reason you can't have both.

FWIW, I have both types of accounts but I focus on YouTube because that's where the mainstream traffic is, plus my experience a viewer has been more troublefree with YT. Vimeo looks good but I seem to get a lot more playback stalling on Vimeo than with YouTube.

I think Vimeo wins more industry/professional attention because they focused on HD and better compression quality a lot sooner than YouTube did. That said, I think YouTube's quality has been much improved during in the last couple of years.

But, like I said, there is no reason you can't have both.

G.

vector
04-23-2012, 02:04 AM
If I want visits and watchings for a shortfilm I should use Youtube

If I want show model/texturing/shading/rigging/etc skills I should embed a vimeo link

mav3rick
04-23-2012, 04:44 AM
Actually, for professionalism, they should be hosted on your own site. I agreed Vimeo was better a couple of years ago, but now YouTube has HD and really, its good enough.

And if you are posting videos for professional reasons, disable comments or make the video private. Last thing you want when you are trying to put out something related to your business is a bunch of trolls leaving crap all over your page.

i disagree.... i was thinking to post my stuff on my own site until i found so much limits i get from my provider and that leads to streaming on Apple devices.. it is far easier to post on vimeo use embedded links that works on all Apple devices and it look far more professional that way ... not to say it streams really nice inside browser... so i am always for VIMEO over Youtube... one more thing i like vimeo over youtube ... on youtube you wll see a lot of junk spam stuff and commercial popups... not case with vimeo.

Surrealist.
04-23-2012, 06:02 AM
It is far more polished look if you can learn how to do it well on your site. But it may drive some people away who do not have, say, the latest flash player or something.

I think broad users prefer something familiar like YT.

Take a tip from the pros:

http://www.dreamworksanimation.com/

This is a good layout. Gives the all the popular options and links but maintains a professional appearance on the site.

Embedded YT and Vimeo is cheesy by comparison in my opinion.... like ah on my site. lol

But to do it on your site you have to research it and get it right. You'll likely want to do something with Dreamweaver and Flash - or whatever is the latest thing. Been a while. But it should be done right if you are going to do it at all.

BigHache
04-23-2012, 08:50 AM
Learning to host your own streaming video right is part of it. You also have to secure a host that even offers streaming video, which will be an increased monthly cost over any standard hosting you may already have, unless you're hosting yourself.

The Dreamworks site is nice, but Flash is dead, like the newspaper. I would argue that for the common Joe utilizing an all Flash site today is shooting yourself in the foot. Flash is also a bad choice to use solely as a video container. Too many mobile devices and you can't guarantee someone is not on an Apple mobile device.

dwburman
04-23-2012, 10:21 AM
Vimeo has one really nice feature that gives it an advantage over YouTube. You can replace your video clip without losing the web address. There have been several times where I needed to make a minor change to something I already uploaded and announced the video. With YouTube, I make the video unlisted an add an annotation to link to the newest version. With Vimeo, all I have to do it upload the replacement.

The downside with Vimeo is that there are delays if you're using the free version of their service.

I don't know which is more or less professional. Getting and using an HTML5 compatible player on your own site can be a bit confusing, especially if you're using something like WordPress or Joomla and someone hasn't made a plugin/extension for that.

Then, as mav3rick mentioned, it's best to have a streaming server. If you don't, the videos take a while to download and if you're doing HD res, it could take longer than the client would want to wait.

biliousfrog
04-23-2012, 10:41 AM
If I see a video on hosted on Vimeo I look for it on YouTube because I've never been able to watch a video on Vimeo without it constantly buffering....which is annoying. If I'm forced to watch it on Vimeo I usually plan it around a coffee break so that I can load it, pause it, grab a drink while it buffers, then come back to it.

ShadowMystic
04-23-2012, 10:45 AM
i disagree.... i was thinking to post my stuff on my own site until i found so much limits i get from my provider and that leads to streaming on Apple devices.. it is far easier to post on vimeo use embedded links that works on all Apple devices and it look far more professional that way ... not to say it streams really nice inside browser... so i am always for VIMEO over Youtube... one more thing i like vimeo over youtube ... on youtube you wll see a lot of junk spam stuff and commercial popups... not case with vimeo.

The spam/commercials are a choice of the user who chooses to monetize their videos. Daily views matter more the lifetime view and what I've read that they use a complex algorithm that takes number of subscribers and views and works them in together to provide a total earnings. Sadly there are plenty ofpeople whom have less training and work put into every video they've ever done than than one lightwave animation( i.e. The passenger) yet still admit to living off their youtube revenue stream(egoraptor and harrypartridge excluded.)

Greenlaw
04-23-2012, 11:31 AM
I see nothing wrong with embedding YT (or Vimeo) on a page on your website. This is what we do at our Little Green Dog (http://bit.ly/littlegreendog) wesbsite, and it's worked out much better than when we hosted our content ourselves. The YT format (and probably Vimeo,) is actually very flexible in how you want to present the video on your webpage. And, yes, ads are absolutely optional--we disable all advertising features on our videos. (Because I work in commercials, my tolerance for them in civilian life is probably lower than normal.) :)

YT's security is pretty easy to set up: When you upload you simply choose between Public access, 'hidden' link (unsearchable and only people with the link have access), or Private access (only people on list can watch.) I've only used Public access for our content but I can see where the Private access option might be handy for sharing with clients or collaborating artists. (FYI, for serious private use, I'd probably go back to protected FTP downloads though.)

G.

Sensei
04-23-2012, 11:34 AM
Because of SEO links should be used in as many websites as possible. Especially with such high Page Rank as YT.

shrox
04-23-2012, 12:23 PM
Vimeo is certainly less militant about censoring music used in demo and show reels.

Andy Meyer
04-23-2012, 03:31 PM
vimeo for quality, youtube for the mass.
but read the small printed. imho you give away all rights to youtube.

dandeentremont
04-23-2012, 03:46 PM
I put my reel on Vimeo when I send it to employers on the off-chance they discriminate against YouTube. But considering ILM and many other large companies have their own YouTube channels, I imagine there is not such a negative YouTube stigma as there once was.

Also, I'm one of those greedy bastards who put ads all over their videos :hey:

shrox
04-23-2012, 03:59 PM
Vimeo has one really nice feature that gives it an advantage over YouTube. You can replace your video clip without losing the web address. There have been several times where I needed to make a minor change to something I already uploaded and announced the video. With YouTube, I make the video unlisted an add an annotation to link to the newest version. With Vimeo, all I have to do it upload the replacement...

My favorite feature of Vimeo.

oobievision
04-26-2012, 01:16 PM
Vimeo is the more proffesional one, but youtube has a wider audience.

short223
04-26-2012, 02:16 PM

I think Vimeo has similar language. At least that's what I saw in their verbiage about a year ago...

Cryonic
04-26-2012, 05:12 PM
vimeo for quality, youtube for the mass.

Facebook has similar verbiage. It is so that they have the right to display the content to other users (like your friends). You aren't giving away ownership, you are granting permission to distribute.

wesleycorgi
04-26-2012, 05:29 PM
I like Vimeo because you can replace video and password protect video. Also I think others can download the video, where YT you have to jump through hoops.

I don't like the delays in upload for the free Vimeo service, but hey it is free. This may actually compel me to a paid service.

And as others point out, YT throws a bunch of crap around your vid.

Titus
04-26-2012, 06:59 PM
I don't know about YT but Vimeo has password restrictions if you need it. Also you can go pro and add a few nifty features.

ShadowMystic
04-29-2012, 02:21 AM
I can't say I can think of a reason to password protect my video. However, I know tand live by the rule that I wouldn't put on the internet anything I wouldnlt want everyone to see

Greenlaw
04-29-2012, 03:21 AM
YouTube does optionally offer Unlisted access and Private access. The first is an unsearchable but open link--it's useful if you want to limit public access and don't care to announce the video to the world. The Private access is more relevant for collaborative videos that aren't ready to be shown publicly yet. For example, I have used it to share animatics and current edits with artists and musicians I may be working with on a project.

I haven't used it but my guess is that Vimeo's protection may be more secure. If I was really concerned about security, I'd probably just host the video myself and leave it off YT and Vimeo. No biggie.

I do wish YT had the replace video feature of Vimeo. It's really annoying that you have to start from scratch when you want to submit a revision.

G.

ShadowMystic
04-29-2012, 04:23 PM
YouTube does optionally offer Unlisted access and Private access. The first is an unsearchable but open link--it's useful if you want to limit public access and don't care to announce the video to the world. The Private access is more relevant for collaborative videos that aren't ready to be shown publicly yet. For example, I have used it to share animatics and current edits with artists and musicians I may be working with on a project.

I haven't used it but my guess is that Vimeo's protection may be more secure. If I was really concerned about security, I'd probably just host the video myself and leave it off YT and Vimeo. No biggie.

I do wish YT had the replace video feature of Vimeo. It's really annoying that you have to start from scratch when you want to submit a revision.

G.
Replace video is the only feature I wish youtube had but it could make more work for the revenue sharing
and antipiracy/copyright infringement fight