PDA

View Full Version : Selection: inverse of "Select Outline"?

jeric_synergy
04-22-2012, 01:30 AM
Is there a function that is the inverse of "Select Outline"? That is, given a complete contiguous loop of points, will select all the points interior to that loop?

(I'm using "loop" in the common sense here, not the mesh sense.)

SplineGod
04-22-2012, 02:29 AM
what about using the invert selection tool after using the loop select tool?

Oedo 808
04-22-2012, 03:31 AM
You could use another of Art's great plugins, Fill Selection (http://www.artssphere.com/plugins/fillselection.php). You'll need to use polys, but you can just switch selected polys to points.

To use the plugin, make the loop and select a further poly to determine whether you wish to fill the inside or outside of the loop.

jeric_synergy
04-22-2012, 07:46 AM
what about using the invert selection tool after using the loop select tool?

Larry, I mean only the points inside the loop.

Oedo, looks like I'll have to wait for the 64bit version.

SplineGod
04-22-2012, 02:55 PM
Maybe Im not understanding exactly.... If you select the outer loop of points and then invert the selection then the inner points are selected and the outer loop is deselected....?

jeric_synergy
04-22-2012, 03:37 PM
Maybe Im not understanding exactly.... If you select the outer loop of points and then invert the selection then the inner points are selected and the outer loop is deselected....?
Yes, but so would all the other points in the object, if the loop isn't the perimeter of the object.

See JPG. The loop here is not a 'legitimate' Loop, i.e. you can't select a few of its component and have a Loop get automatically selected. My desire was to select the floor of the depression while excluding its perimeter.

While this example is trivial, I find I often want the "sorta-inverse" of various selection tools, and since we do have a "Select Outline", I feel a "this-is-the-outline, select-everything-inside" tool would be handy too.

Sensei
04-22-2012, 03:43 PM
How about select polygon in center in Polygon mode, then Extend selection (couple times), then you have group of polys selected. Then press Select Outline Edges - some edges are selected. Then press Sel Points.

SplineGod
04-22-2012, 04:03 PM
Thats what I would try as well :)

jeric_synergy
04-22-2012, 05:48 PM
Indeed, and thanks.

However, I think it's prudent to lobby for tools that do the inverse of current selection tools, because so often that is convenient. We already have a tool that selects an outline of selected entities, something that takes an outline as input and returns the interior points/edges/polys would be useful too.

Oedo 808
04-22-2012, 06:55 PM
I haven't used x64 Modeler for a long time for the reason that it provides little to no benefit over x32 and suffers from a fair few addons not having an x64 version.

jeric_synergy
04-22-2012, 09:28 PM
I haven't used x64 Modeler for a long time for the reason that it provides little to no benefit over x32 and suffers from a fair few addons not having an x64 version.
Yeah, I'm feeling THAT pain. :( :( :(

The only advantage I can thing of off-hand is when surfacing, you can use 64bit nodes and there won't be any issues when over in Layout.

Oedo 808
04-23-2012, 06:29 AM
Yeah, I'm feeling THAT pain. :( :( :(

The only advantage I can thing of off-hand is when surfacing, you can use 64bit nodes and there won't be any issues when over in Layout.

Aye, I can see where that might be a pain if you are used to doing things that way. I generally only do the most basic of texturing in Modeler so thankfully that wouldn't be an issue.

It's just speculation but the reason I stick with x32 Modeler is that I don't think NT are going to waste time servicing legacy Modeler and would only expend efforts to get the framework that was in Core up and running, which will be some time. And that's fine because if it's not and this is what they call servicing the modelling toolset then we're pretty much boned anyway and NT would actually be doing me a favour by breaking the functionality of more Modeler addons with new releases. Who knows how things will lie in a few years, but LWCAD (FuturArch) for 3ds Max, that's going to hurt to see that up and running.