PDA

View Full Version : Addendum???

mdunakin
04-20-2012, 02:57 PM
OK, I got the addendum, but went through it all the way and not one single mention or screen shot or really anything on what you see in one of the sample scenes and to me, that's like, huh, why are they showing off what look to be really cool new character animation tools, yet make ZERO mention of ANY of it in ANY of the regular manual nor the addendum, and that is, what's with the ROID Monster scene?

All you see are loads of awesome looking thingies all over that make up the charater yet not one single word about ANY of what you see.
Much less being able to even find anything other then I found in the Master plugins panel you can see what I assume must be all these new looking things, but there isn't anything telling you what they are, how to use them or anything else?

And this character only has like about 4 actual bones in it, or I couldn't find any others at least and that means I checked in the scene panel for hidden bones and couldn't find any more in there either.

To help put it together so you all get what I am referring to, I took a screen shot of the scene but without the actual monster being shown, since I wanted to concentrate on the items in question and not to have any other distractions.

http://www.md-arts.com/lw/WhatThe.JPG

As you can see, ALL strange new NEW things and not one word about them any of them anywhere that I've been able to find yet.
Am I merely missing some even more up to date addendum or something?
As it was, I had to get the addendums sent to me from a friend since I never got the links to where to find them at anyway when I recently bought 11, so I may be missing things, though I think I am pretty sure I am up to date all around. Using the latest build too, in case anyone ask, 11.01.

And I like how some of these new items work, since the knees bend, yet no bones are there, so I am just guessing that they must be doing something like setting a distance of influence from the from thingy (in green) to the hip thingy in their respective red and green colors and the over all pelvis too.

If I could figure out how to use these new features, then wow!, I might be able to get around some totally pains in the rear with my current dog (quadruped) character I've been working at for months now with not very good results thus far.

Bipeds are a breeze, BTW, but quadrupeds, a whole other story.
Legs always try to influence other legs no matter how many ways I attempt to make good usage of weight maps and so on.

OK, thanx, if anyone has anything worth saying, I mean? hehehe ;)

..........md :)

thanx.......................md :)

Chuck
04-23-2012, 01:39 PM
Earlier today I advised the documentation writer and the content developer of your questions. They are on a different schedule than NewTek in San Antonio so please be aware it may be awhile before they come online and reply.

jeric_synergy
04-23-2012, 01:48 PM
Mark, at least some of those items (ain't it COOL??) are curves and are displayed, I'm told, by the ShowCurve plugin in Object Properties.

--There's at least a place to start.

You might want to purchase Proton's book ( http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Modeling-William-Vaughan/dp/0321700899/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335210452&sr=8-1), I'd bet he covers this technique extensively. I've heard nothing but good things about the book.

BeeVee
04-23-2012, 02:20 PM
Hey Mark,

This is a rig that William Vaughan modelled and students of his at DAVE School, Kurt Smith and Eric Braddock rigged and UVed respectively in January last year, and there are plenty of bones in it. It was included with the LightWave 11 Trial Content, but precedes 11 by almost a year. To get the shapes for the controllers, curves were created in Modeler and exported to Layout where the Geometry > Add Custom Object > Show Curves plugin was used. It's an impressive look, but there are no new animation tools there. :) (the original thread is here: http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=116259)

B
PS. The version of the docs shipped with 11.0.1 is available in the docs zip on your reg My Downloads page, and the latest version is always on the forum in this thread (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=125694).

mdunakin
04-25-2012, 09:28 PM
Earlier today I advised the documentation writer and the content developer of your questions. They are on a different schedule than NewTek in San Antonio so please be aware it may be awhile before they come online and reply.

Thanx for the heads up on that, always appreciated :D

mdunakin
04-25-2012, 09:40 PM
Mark, at least some of those items (ain't it COOL??) are curves and are displayed, I'm told, by the ShowCurve plugin in Object Properties.

--There's at least a place to start.

You might want to purchase Proton's book ( http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Modeling-William-Vaughan/dp/0321700899/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335210452&sr=8-1), I'd bet he covers this technique extensively. I've heard nothing but good things about the book.

Thanx much, Eric, and though the book it linked me too was (from what it looked like) about modeling, which I can do just fine, it's been some, not all, just some certain aspects about rigging that sometimes gives me MAJOR pains in the neck, and I mean more the the actual real life neck pains I already have hahahaha

A friend of mine told me just a couple of weeks back, some time right around when I got 11, that from what she could tell, there aren't many 11 specific tutorials out there, and I really prefer videos, like Larry and Dan and others make, even Will. She bought what DA had out, but it didn't have much in it yet about 11, mostly just general over all subjects that could kinda work on most any modern LW, I think. I think she said he is going to be releasing something soon, but not sure what she said about that.

In either case, I am doing good with my regular rigging so far, with good ole IKB which I still think is about one of thee greatest features LW has ever added!

Though, now with awesome FB FX and now Instancing, I'm pretty much been in heaven anyway :)

thanx much...md

mdunakin
04-25-2012, 09:43 PM
Hey Mark,

This is a rig that William Vaughan modelled and students of his at DAVE School, Kurt Smith and Eric Braddock rigged and UVed respectively in January last year, and there are plenty of bones in it. It was included with the LightWave 11 Trial Content, but precedes 11 by almost a year. To get the shapes for the controllers, curves were created in Modeler and exported to Layout where the Geometry > Add Custom Object > Show Curves plugin was used. It's an impressive look, but there are no new animation tools there. :) (the original thread is here: http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=116259)

B
PS. The version of the docs shipped with 11.0.1 is available in the docs zip on your reg My Downloads page, and the latest version is always on the forum in this thread (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=125694).

I'll be sure to check out the Show Curves, for sure.
I KNEW I had to be missing something, since that thing (creature/rigging) was just too cool and EASY as all get out to work with. ANYONE could animate him, in fact that's mostly what I ended up doing for hours on end, just playing with the guy making fun little dancing around and such, instead of trying to figure out what the heck all those things really were and what they were doing there in the first place? LOL

:D :lwicon:

jeric_synergy
04-25-2012, 11:53 PM
I assumed there'd be some rigging stuff in there, but after perusing the blurb, I guess the title really isn't kidding. :foreheads

Still, highly recommended by those who HAVE read it. :)

mdunakin
04-28-2012, 10:52 PM
I assumed there'd be some rigging stuff in there, but after perusing the blurb, I guess the title really isn't kidding. :foreheads

Still, highly recommended by those who HAVE read it. :)

Hehehe, hey, it's totally OK.
I can wait for all them new things, though as one of you here already stated, apparently, them strange master plugin objects, what ever they were, have been in LW for some time, I guess this means in LW10? I never seen them or knew about them though until that scene came out, or more accurately, until I seen it hehehe

I'm already having good enough results working the same ole way, using normal bones and IKB :thumbsup:

BTW, ALL of you, including you too Chuck ;) have all been very helpful to me and I very much have appreciated it all.

I do have to admit though, since I've been so much into Vue and LW, I haven't much had time to check out other things in LW, but I'm getting caught up now, finally. Probably cuz I've really been waiting a very long time for 11 to come out and with the main thing I want, instancing.

Basically, what I'm getting at is, even though I use to have LW/LWM totally memorized, and now, I actually could use a few good, decent new tutorials on certain topics with 11.

thanx..............md :)

jeric_synergy
04-28-2012, 11:03 PM
LW is so big now I figure all you can do is work on your projects and learn stuff as you need it.

I have to relearn dynamics every time I use them, because the events are so few and far between, usually the features have changed by the time I need them again.