PDA

View Full Version : Graph Editor -> Display Local Coordintate System

BlueApple
04-20-2012, 01:47 PM
Graph Editor -> Display Local Coordintate System

In Layout under Modify>General>Coord System you can switch to Local, which is useful to me when animating. However, it seems that changing this coordinate system does not alter the way the data is displayed in the Graph Editor. Is there a way to change this in the Graph Editor?

BlueApple
04-20-2012, 02:25 PM
Please take a look at the included image. Hopefully it makes the phrasing of my question sound less stupid.

In the attached example what I'd like to see in the graph editor is a flat Y and Z, and only an X with a curve to it. Is this possible?

Actually, I am starting to think about what this would entail programatically and perhaps this kind of thing doesn't exist...

Any help is appreciated.

nickdigital
04-20-2012, 08:09 PM
Moving in local X means you're changing the Y and Z values at the same time. So what you're asking for isn't possible.

BlueApple
04-20-2012, 09:10 PM
Thanks for confirming what I slowly started to suspect.

Would it be possible to have a view mode where the parent's pivot was temporarily defined as the origin (0, 0, 0) for that object's children, and then show all channels as local? You'd only be able to show channels of siblings at a given time I suppose. Maybe this has limited use, but I've been in a few situations where it would've been nice to refine a single nice "S" curve versus two or three "what?" curves.

RebelHill
04-21-2012, 01:16 AM
nope... no can do. Co-ords are ALWAYS stored in parent space, and thats pretty much the norm across all apps too. Infact, storing in local mode is IMPOSSIBLE as there's no rotation order, hence, rotation values become "meaningless".

http://vimeo.com/2649637

BlueApple
04-21-2012, 06:43 AM
I only need to be told twice :)

Thanks for chiming in, both of you. I am off to set up some dummy nulls so I can control these curves more cleanly.

Mr. Wilde
04-21-2012, 09:29 AM
Too bad, would have been a cool feature.

3DGFXStudios
04-21-2012, 09:52 AM
How's that a cool feature? It's impossible?