PDA

View Full Version : HELP: particles on a pillar

jimiclaybrooks
04-20-2012, 01:32 PM
I made a pillar into a particle emitter. When I spin this pillar as a object, the particles behave normally. But, when I put the bones to work and move the pillar, the particles don't follow the pillar. I've tried sticky and some other plugins, but with no success. I saw a tut by Proton that had particles cling to a face, like drops of sweat, but I haven't found that tut yet. My question is, why don't the particles follow the tube when the bones deform it?

UnCommonGrafx
04-20-2012, 02:15 PM
Did you calculate the particles?
I've found that to be quite helpful in such cases.

jimiclaybrooks
04-20-2012, 03:48 PM
I'm not sure I understand the question. Let me rephrase, I definitely don't understand the question. :bangwall:
Edit: Are yu referring to the smoke and fire plugin by Polas? I'm thinking yu may be referring to that calculation.

ericsmith
04-20-2012, 03:54 PM
In the dynamics tab for the item that's set to the emitter, there's a "Calculate" button in the upper right, above the list of applied dynamics.

The point here is that some aspects of particle motion calculates on the fly in real time, but certain things (like collision I think) need to be pre-calculated in order to happen in the viewport. Your situation may be one of these scenarios.

Eric

jimiclaybrooks
04-20-2012, 05:38 PM
OK, so the same button I've been using for cloth also works for particles too! I see. Thanks EricSan. Much obliged.

jimiclaybrooks
04-20-2012, 05:53 PM
Well I owe you one Uncommon, so now I need to come up with a really cool effect for the core. I've got a few ideas, but I'm open for suggestions. Here's what I have do far. I just plugged in a fire preset that I had lying around. Now I'll tweek it come to see what I can come up with. Thanks everyone for the help.:thumbsup:

jimiclaybrooks
04-20-2012, 05:54 PM
Here's what I have so far.

SplineGod
04-20-2012, 10:25 PM
If your particle emitter is going to be deformed in any way by bones, morphs, displacements etc you need to hit the calculate button. :)

jimiclaybrooks
04-21-2012, 08:57 AM
yeah, I got that from ericsmith and uncommongraphx. but thanks. My problem is with the hypervoxels. They just don't look that much like flame. I've had some success, but still...

SplineGod
04-21-2012, 04:45 PM
Instead of HVs and particles you might try creating the pillar of fire using geometry with some displacements and gradients (or a combination of the two).
Heres a simple example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksdQt4v-428

jimiclaybrooks
04-22-2012, 09:30 AM
thanks man,
I did think about your tut on fire and smoke, but that's not quite the look that I'm going for. I need real flame. Looks like Blender is gonna have to do it for me. I'd love to get the plugin for Lightwave, but I can't see paying $400.00 for it when I really don't have to.

SplineGod
04-22-2012, 02:53 PM
It is possible to get a flame like effect with HVs and particles. It requires a lot of tweaking. Dave Ridlens got some nice example videos on youtube of a flamethrower done with LW. I had to do a similar thing for a show I worked on and I think I spent a couple of weeks getting it setup.

jimiclaybrooks
04-23-2012, 05:07 AM
Thanks Larry,
I'll look into it.:thumbsup: