PDA

View Full Version : Surfacing help: glowy, misty glass

jeric_synergy
04-19-2012, 08:21 PM
Working on a logo. See JPG#1. It's a 2D glasslike thingy built of chunks like that.

JPG #2 is my first pass at the geometry ("Rounder, how I hate you."), and is a very simple surface relying 99% on the Dialectric node (oooo, a new post for my blog!) (JPG#3). The blue on the bottom right is just the shadow of the mesh --really hard edge on the shadow, don't know what that's about. (Refraction, probably.)

Anticipating trouble, I'm wondering how to achieve the kinda impressionistic surfacing of the concept art (Actually, it's their real logo, so I have to get pretty close.) It's kinda got a backlit driftglass thing going on. I'm not sure how to approach the internal mistiness of the concept. Obviously the test render is 'wayyyy too sharp and CGI-ish (circa 1990).

Thanks for any pointers!

stiff paper
04-20-2012, 01:47 PM
Well, it's not really my type of thing, but...

Matt has a video tutorial on his site called "Exploring the Sigma Node Shader" and his "glass" has an internal mistiness going on: http://www.pixsim.co.uk/

Also, and it's just an observation, but your "holes" look like they go all the way through, whereas on the actual logo I'd say they look like they're only indentations.

If you do the glow in post (even Photoshop would work), you'll automatically get some extra mistiness too.

jeric_synergy
04-21-2012, 12:16 AM
Also, and it's just an observation, but your "holes" look like they go all the way through, whereas on the actual logo I'd say they look like they're only indentations.
Nope. (See jpg) The real challenge is all the soft corners the 2D artist depicted.

Thanks for those links! Anything that helps make nodes less mysterious is very welcome. That illustration for the sigma2 tut looks FAB.

The graphic I'm trying to match, to me, implies a lot of backlighting-- at least, that's how I'd do it in the real world. So a transparent LightWave Surface that works well w/backlighting would be ideal. I'mmmmmmm pretty sure I'll have to use Corona on this at some point.