PDA

View Full Version : Who Would be intrested in a software only verison of TeD?

videoguy
10-23-2003, 06:01 AM
How many of you guys would be intrested in a software only version of TeD? we need to convince newtek to get busy on this!

videoguy
10-23-2003, 09:30 AM
hey guys why dont you post some of your ideas for a feature set and price

VDI-Angus
10-23-2003, 12:01 PM
DV in/out, basic compositing.. kinda like how In-Sync cut down Speed Razor to make Blade.

eon5
10-23-2003, 07:23 PM
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4461&highlight=standalone

RBernards
10-24-2003, 03:57 PM
I recall that some time ago someone from Newtek asked
the same question in one of the news groups or forums.
Chuck or Andrew? It was somebody from Newtek.

The reponse was positive and peeps
thought the price point should be under $500.
I also recall that it seemed like it was stated that it
would take minor tweaking
to undongle it and set TED free.

Or maybe I imagined it all. ;)

Anyway, I think undongling TED is a great idea.

ScorpioProd
10-24-2003, 04:11 PM
I think this would be a great idea, but...

It's important to realize that if this is done, VT-Edit will no longer have its "uncompressed" advantage that lets it gloss over some other issues that DV NLEs take for granted...

It will not only have to match the price point of software-only DV NLEs, but also the features that people that work in DV expect...

Things like advanced color correction, audio plug-in support, DVEable overlays and CG, and most important of all, REAL-TIME DV OUT VIA FIREWIRE.

Unless it has these type of features added, I don't really see how it could compete in this market.

pnelson
10-24-2003, 04:17 PM
If NewTek doesn't make a Software only version of VT-Edit, they are NUTS! ;->

Take out some features.. Make it TED light and get more people into the NewTek family!!

It's amazing how many people don't care about Uncompressed video anymore. They only care about DV.. I hope that NewTek realizes this!

Later,

tmon
10-25-2003, 12:02 PM
On the one hand, DV has made video more accessible to the masses.

On the other hand, I was just screening a bunch of shorts edited and output from FCP and other DV apps, and the image quality, IMHO, was pretty weak.

It all depends upon what the target medium is, I guess. Maybe the "uncompressed camp" needs to do more to show people our superior image quality?

AntAT
10-26-2003, 03:17 AM

VDI-Angus
10-27-2003, 09:54 AM
I disagree about marketing it solely as a workgroup add-on. If that was the case, I wouldn't even look at it. I edit on a Toaster at work, and a mish-mash of DV apps at home. VTDV would be reaaallly nice.