PDA

View Full Version : Bevel Issues

digitalimagery
04-19-2012, 11:06 AM
Ok, here it is again, the difficult text bevel. Is there an easy way (plug perhaps) to create this chiseled text? I've used the outer bevel effect in both LW's text tool and ZaxWerks and get a fatter font with real blocky corners on most letter and beveling inward (always the preference) results in severe crossing at the corners which are so complex it may as well be modeled by hand (1 letter at a time - NOT).

May be easier to explain to the client the complexities of this type of look in 3D which was initially done with the bevel tool in PS.

Perhaps if the were a way to bring the edges to a single line forward in Z and centered on the face then use the knife tool to shear it off.

Any ideas, tuts would be welcome. Thanks.

DI

nickdigital
04-19-2012, 11:20 AM
Getting Bevel++ would be good.
http://www.softgeometry.jp/lightwave/lightwave3d/bevelpp/

If you can't get that you could try Rasp though I've had mixed results with it.
http://www.pictrix.jp/lw/Rasp/

digitalimagery
04-19-2012, 11:42 AM
I do a lot of Logo work. This may be just what the Dr. ordered. If not for this perhaps some others I've struggled with.

Thanks!
DI

digitalimagery
04-19-2012, 11:59 AM
Nickdigital,

Now based on the text example at the end of the video tutorial this looks like the kind of thing LW should purchase from the programmer and implement into their system. This not only proves this feature can be programmed to work in LW, for those of us who live in 3D type this is a gift from the Cyber Gods.

I'm waiting to hear back as to whether it works on the Mac. I went to buy it and the cart said PC. You wouldn't happen to know would you?

Thanks.
DI

digitalimagery
04-19-2012, 12:04 PM
Darn. I suspect when I'm lying on my death bed watching the graphic news they'll announce, "LW can now bevel serif text without crossing the points in the corners, film at 11." And then I'll cross over to the other side....

:o)
such drama

nickdigital
04-19-2012, 12:07 PM
I'm waiting to hear back as to whether it works on the Mac. I went to buy it and the cart said PC. You wouldn't happen to know would you?

Yes, it would be nice if this was native to LW.

Not sure if this works on a Mac. The developer is good at responding to emails so hopefully you hear from him soon and he has the news you want to hear. But I don't see any mention of it available on a Mac.

I think the other alternative would be to see if Blender or one of the free modeling apps out there can do this. You could model in there and then import into LW. I know it's a huge hack to fix what looks to be a trivial problem but it is what it is.

Or buy a PC. :)

digitalimagery
04-19-2012, 12:19 PM
...just have to buy LW (again).

Thanks.
DI

nickdigital
04-19-2012, 12:21 PM
...just have to buy LW (again).

Thanks.
DI

If you already have PCs around you just request a PC license for your dongle. Or am I misunderstanding?

digitalimagery
04-19-2012, 12:28 PM
Does LW do that? The office is full of PCs. I suspect I could get LW loaded onto one if they give away additional dongles. If it's a charge management would probably not spring for it.

This particular logo project (as many we do) is a freebie for a client that does business with us. We build free marketing material for agents who sell our products. Most are quick and dirty 3D animations I either do with LW or ZaxWerks. Spending the kind of time and money involved in getting this bevel "perfect" would probably go right over the eye of a finance client and as such management would probably say just give them what you get with what you have. It's understandable from a Mgmnt position.

It's more "me" that wants to do it right.

Thanks again
DI

nickdigital
04-19-2012, 12:46 PM
Does LW do that? The office is full of PCs. I suspect I could get LW loaded onto one if they give away additional dongles. If it's a charge management would probably not spring for it.

This particular logo project (as many we do) is a freebie for a client that does business with us. We build free marketing material for agents who sell our products. Most are quick and dirty 3D animations I either do with LW or ZaxWerks. Spending the kind of time and money involved in getting this bevel "perfect" would probably go right over the eye of a finance client and as such management would probably say just give them what you get with what you have. It's understandable from a Mgmnt position.

It's more "me" that wants to do it right.

Thanks again
DI

Short answer is "Yes."

Your usb LW dongle can be licensed to a Mac and 32/64 bit PC. All on one dongle. When you go to register your dongle you have to input what OS this is for as it'll generate a license specific to that dongle. For 32/64 bit PC you have to do the same as there are difference licenses for each Windows version.

NewTek won't give you "additional dongles" as that means you have multiple licenses. From what I gather you're the one person with LW but you're on a Mac? What you could do, your MGMT willing, is install LW on one of the PCs. Use LW on there to do your text generation and then take the model back to your Mac. I'm assuming you have to go back to your Mac as that's your station or just what you're familiar with.

Just plug/unplug your dongle from the machine as you go back and forth.

Snosrap
04-19-2012, 01:16 PM
If you are going to spend money to help resolve this issue I would recommend LWCad. There is a tool in LWCad called Mass Round that will perform these bevels with ease. (actually it would just chamfer the edge.:)) If you are unfamilar with LWCad and think it's only for archvis work, you are strongly mistaken. It's a "must have" IMO.

ivanze
04-19-2012, 01:26 PM
You can export the text from ZaxWerks in lwo format and texturize and animate in Lightwave.