PDA

View Full Version : Preferred method of grid-iffying a logo

jeric_synergy
04-18-2012, 08:29 PM
I'm working on a logo, and it seems I may need to divide the face up into a grid.

I could slice it up w/Julian (easy) or do repeated bevels (laborious), but both have their drawbacks. I thought I'd check with the forum first and get people's opinions on best methods. :question:

One thing I hope to be able to do after gridiffying is to use Rounder in any kind of repeatable fashion. :devil:

Thanks.

paulhart
04-18-2012, 09:01 PM
I wish I could offer a simple, "make pretty quads of my logo" button but I have tried many solutions. Blender currently has a fairly good tool for this purpose. I have quoted a section of a tutorial below:

"Next add a 'Remesh' modifier. It's a new modifier introduced in version 2.62 of Blender and converts the topolgy of a mesh to roughly equal-sized quads. That's perfect for what we are up to. Uncheck 'Remove Disconnected Pieces' and set the 'Octree Depth' to the maximum of 9. Also use 'Smooth' as the mode since 'Sharp' will probably introduce nasty artifacts."

But for several logos I worked on recently I still find that Creating curves, Freeze the Curves, clean out the excess points, select four(4) points and create poly, then extrude the shape to add bevels or rounding, gives me the most consistent topology, quad count, and clean shape.
Slow but effective.
Paul

jeric_synergy
04-18-2012, 11:51 PM
Thanks for that pointer to Blender! Every tool has their strengths.

For what I'm doing, Rounder is sooooooo close, but no cigar!

jeric_synergy
08-08-2015, 04:23 PM
BUMP, with new search terms GRIDDIFY GRIDDIFYING

jeric_synergy
08-11-2017, 03:25 PM
Grid fill, "grid fill", "gridiffying". --nothin' new here, move along...

Well, there's this:
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?154257-I-really-do-lose-my-patience-dear-NewTek-company/page19&p=1514795#post1514795