PDA

View Full Version : Change a model during animation..is this possible?

Algae998
04-18-2012, 04:00 PM
Hey LW'ers,

I need to break one of the rules I have never broken before. My character's animation is half done but I need to change and add to the model. Is there a way to do this without loosing the time spent on the animation?
Is it possible to add geometry to the original model, weight map it, save it as a new object, setup the proper bones and hierarchy, and then replace the object without issue? (Ideally keeping the animation but having the new geometry and rig work)

I have tried a couple times but get "Error: object loading failed".

Is this possible or is this destined to tangle things up?

Thanks in advance!

nickdigital
04-18-2012, 04:03 PM
You should be able to do what you want. What if you just load the object into a clean Layout. Make sure your new object is fine.

jeric_synergy
04-18-2012, 04:05 PM
I've never tried it, but "saving the rig" gets tossed around, so maybe you can at least salvage the skeleton.

Algae998
04-18-2012, 04:21 PM
Ok, the object now loads without the error message..forgot about the skelegons in the objects layer. So it should be just a matter of setting up the bones.
Thank you for the help so far.

nickdigital
04-18-2012, 04:24 PM
Another option would be to go back to a scene where it's just the rig (hopefully you have one), swap out your object, add whatever bones and rig controls that you need.

Go to your file that has the animation and save out the motions of your animation.

Then load those motions onto the new rig. MotionCycleGN (v.2.0) is a handy lscript to do this.
http://thespread.faulknermano.com/_theoldspread/index.htm

Adjusting a rig once you've animated is possible, it's just a headache.

jeric_synergy
04-18-2012, 04:42 PM
What kind of changes would destroy the utility of the original model?

nickdigital
04-18-2012, 04:46 PM
What kind of changes would destroy the utility of the original model?

I'm referring more to adjusting/adding to the skeleton. The model should be fine.

jeric_synergy
04-18-2012, 05:26 PM
I meant the OP.

nickdigital
04-18-2012, 05:41 PM
i meant the op.

op?

jeric_synergy
04-18-2012, 11:58 PM
OP= original poster.

s/he seemed to think that the planned alterations would make the model unusable for that animation.

RebelHill
04-19-2012, 02:11 AM
nothing to it... just make whatever alterations to your object, weight accordingly and it'll still work fine. The only time you get problems like this is if you go changing proportions, limb lengths, etc, then ur screwed.