PDA

View Full Version : RenderFarm

HolyMonkey-
04-18-2012, 12:46 AM
I posted a similar thread before regarding which type of renderfarm you should get CPU or GPU, and it was a clear victory for the CPU.

I'm investigating which renderfarm program to get, butterfly seems to be the a good choice any tips would be warm welcome.

We use 3 programs, that includes 3dsmax, Maya and LW. And we have access to 100+ "decent/bad" computers. Also take into account there are external plugins in use.

Preferably a program that causes as little pain as possible. Cheerio!

Red_Oddity
04-18-2012, 01:59 AM
We use Deadline from Thinkbox. We have been using it for over 7 years now, almost never a hitch, and whenever there is a hitch, a simple post on their forums and good chance is one of the developers posts a patch in no less than 30 minutes later (last week we where switching our VRay rendering nodes to Linux, and the path mapping combined with custom mounting points in our mixed OS environment didn't work properly, posted the logs on the forum, and 3.5 hours later we got a patch and everything was working.)
Their service is like none i have ever encountered before in software.

The system works without a server (de-centralized, though i recommend to use a shared drive/mount point for the repository, the location of all scripts/plugins/jobs), and all plugins/exporter and scripts are written in Python and thus are easily tweakable and are easily made to fit in any pipeline.

Oh and they pretty much support every rendering/animation program on the planet (sort of : http://www.thinkboxsoftware.com/deadline-5-plugins/)

http://www.thinkboxsoftware.com/deadline/

Lewis
04-18-2012, 02:04 AM
Deadine sounds interesting (and I like screen grabs). Thing what interests me most is does it have to be updated every time when new build/beta of LW comes out or it still can work fine regardless of is it LW 11.0 or 11.0.1 ?

P.S. I hope i read it wrong but it looks like Deadline is 180$ per machine/NODE ???

thx

Red_Oddity
04-18-2012, 03:42 AM
Usually it just works, and they are often rather quick with updating the submission scripts/plugins (and when you ask, they often post a fixed version a couple of hours later, or you can just edit the script yourself.)
It also comes with a generic submission system that allows you to submint jobs for none supported software, as long as you know the flags needed to run the batch renderer (think LWSN on none supported renderers)

Another thing which is rather nice in 5.1 is that when you update your repository, all clients will update as well, and it comes with a tool that allows for remote administration of the clients (you can run a shell/cmd script on all clients by simply using the RMB command line tool in the render slave tab. We often use this to run script patches on all clients.)

Red_Oddity
04-18-2012, 03:46 AM
Oh, besides requesting a demo license you can use Deadline with 2 clients for free, so you can easily test it in your own facility

Lewis
04-18-2012, 04:00 AM
Oh, besides requesting a demo license you can use Deadline with 2 clients for free, so you can easily test it in your own facility

Hmm yes interesting i read that it runs in license free mode if is 2 slaves or less. Now does that mean 1 main machine (client) and 2 nodes or 2 machines in total ?

Still 180$ per node sounds pricey and i don't see it as option for home/freelance usage with 10-15 machines :(. BNR seems much cheaper for 15 nodes in that case.

Red_Oddity
04-18-2012, 04:14 AM
It seems pricy, yes, but in the long run this program has paid it self off so many times in our shop, i don't think we could ever do without it.
Also, that $180 is the initial cost, we pay around 35 euros per license per year now (subscription)

2 machines in total that can render at the same time (you can however add all your render slaves as you wish, they just won't be able to render with more than 2 at once.)

3DGFXStudios
04-18-2012, 08:13 AM
Butterfly is nice if you are just running lightwave. It also has very good support and if you've got a problem paul sends your new version by email to test. Butterfly also updates remotely so if you update the master controller the clients are updated automatically.

Lewis
04-18-2012, 10:07 AM
Hmm, from their WEB page Butterfly supports lot more than LW so I'm not sure about this comment "if you are just running Lightwave" ??? Did i miss something, some small print or ?

It says this:
LW 10.1 support, LightWave RenderType: Ack/Nak or Batch
Maya RenderMan support, Modo support!
Messiah Studio, Kray, ,XSI ,VRay Support
3DSMax, XSI, VRay, Cinema4D, Pixie, Blender
After Effects, Nuke, Digital Fusion support
Arnold, Terragen 2, MachStudio. Maxwell support
VUE, Houdini, Mental ray, Nuke support
Now includes Modo and Messiah setup Wizards!

HolyMonkey-
04-18-2012, 10:28 AM
Thanks guys! I'll have a further look into this!
Butterfly or Deadline? Both work well with alot of nodes/w plugins? and the initial cost is just 180 for the program? Or do you have to pay 180 for every single node? cuz that is freaking crazy! hehe

R ed_Oddity Vray for LW? o.O

zapper1998
04-18-2012, 10:38 AM
180 bucks per node
180 x 10 (nodes) = 1800 bucks

butterfly = cheaper and good options and quality

I use Sreamernet, have had no pronlems with Sreamernet.. And it comes With LW (999) nodes ..

Red_Oddity
04-19-2012, 03:56 AM
Well, the 35 euros per node (around 20 nodes now) pales in comparison to what we pay yearly in subscriptions for our other software (which is over 10.000 euros a year)

Yes boys and girls, running a shop with 100% legit software is expensive.

Lewis
04-19-2012, 04:20 AM
Yes boys and girls, running a shop with 100% legit software is expensive.

come here (Croatia) to see what's expensive, Photoshop here cost 1000$ :(.

BTW your 35$ per node is yearly upgrade/subscription price but regular price is 180$ per node (for first buy) or just client 180$ and then each node 35$ ?

Red_Oddity
04-19-2012, 06:57 AM
come here (Croatia) to see what's expensive, Photoshop here cost 1000$ :(.

BTW your 35$ per node is yearly upgrade/subscription price but regular price is 180$ per node (for first buy) or just client 180$ and then each node 35$ ?

Same here in the Netherlands, Adobe software is almost 200% more expensive than in the US (and yes that's the English language version, around 1450 euros for PS CS5.5)

3DGFXStudios
04-19-2012, 08:36 AM
Hmm, from their WEB page Butterfly supports lot more than LW so I'm not sure about this comment "if you are just running Lightwave" ??? Did i miss something, some small print or ?

It says this:
LW 10.1 support, LightWave RenderType: Ack/Nak or Batch
Maya RenderMan support, Modo support!
Messiah Studio, Kray, ,XSI ,VRay Support
3DSMax, XSI, VRay, Cinema4D, Pixie, Blender
After Effects, Nuke, Digital Fusion support
Arnold, Terragen 2, MachStudio. Maxwell support
VUE, Houdini, Mental ray, Nuke support
Now includes Modo and Messiah setup Wizards!

Yes, but I can't maya .mb file to work and there's only a wizard for LW and maya. The other programs you've to set up by hand. Never got an other app running with it.

zardoz
04-19-2012, 09:09 AM
about the render manager you can read these two threads about it:
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=126411

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=122282

we use backburner and it works fine with max, xsi, AE, nuke and LW. thanks to Jure we have a script for it:

http://www.ardevi.si/scripts-and-apps/

AbstractTech3D
05-06-2012, 03:38 PM
Same here in the Netherlands, Adobe software is almost 200% more expensive than in the US (and yes that's the English language version, around 1450 euros for PS CS5.5)

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=2&t=1045559