PDA

View Full Version : Unable to render FiberFX with screamernet

NinoK
04-17-2012, 02:41 PM
Hi all,

I'm using LW 11 with Butterfly Net Render. I have an object with hair, and cloth fx and it does not seem to want to render via BNR / screamernet at all. It sits on a frame chugging along. However, no errors are thrown out that I can see. To troubleshoot I started removing things one by one, first thinking it was either the animated cached radiosity or dynamics, but it turned out to be FiberFX. When i take that off, frames render as expected.

With FiberFX on, on my local machine it takes around 3 min to render a HD frame, but through the renderfarm it was sitting on it for over an hour at which point i canceled it.

I didn't see any mentioned known issues with screamernet and FiberFX so I am hoping i just missed some flag or something? I guess it could be BNR as well but AFIK it only passes stuff to Screamernet and then leaves it alone.

Am I missing something or is this a bug?

NinoK
04-18-2012, 08:59 AM
Ok so upon further testing, and letting it sit overnight, it is indeed rendering them, but it is painfully slow compared to doing it on a local machine. Right now its at 5 min vs 55 at half rez, local vs via screamernet. The local machine is part of the render cluster so if I hit f9 on it, its 5 min, and if I submit it via the the network the same machine will render it but take 10x longer. CPU usage on that machine still sits at around 100% during the render. Stumped. Going to do some more testing but I have a feeling its a conflict with something else in the scene.

NinoK
04-18-2012, 03:54 PM
I got some time today and have been trying different things. I noticed this in the BNR lwsn log on all the nodes...

---
Loading scene
Pre-processing scene
Loading plug-in
Plug-in class "MasterHandler" name ".FFMaster" slot 1
Plug-in failed!

then further down the log another instance of the word failed shows...

Plug-in class "VolumetricHandler" name ".FiberVolume" slot 1
Plug-in failed!

What I don't get is i also set up a new scene with just a simple object and FiberFX and it is not rendering that scene either.

NinoK
04-18-2012, 06:38 PM
Ok, well after the day was spent jacking around with FiberFX i've concluded that its useless in production. Thank you newtek. 'Upgraded' my stuff to 11.0.1 and now its even worse and crashes more often. Tabbing through values can cause a crash, doubleclicking object can cause a crash, importing items from scene that have FF on them crashes, among others. It renders with F9, but not F10... that's right now it even fails on a local machine. When trying to render the scene it freaks out, says its going to take 500h to render and then hangs indefinitely on 'Frame(0%)' of the rendering process. If I restart the machine, deactivate, reactivate plugin, paste preset and try again, it starts but then crashes on the next frame instead. I'm going to make hair using long painted polys instead. You know, that great method from 10 years ago.

geo_n
04-18-2012, 08:00 PM
You'll probably need to redo all scenes from scratch. FFX has a history of not being backward compatible and unstable when rendering old FFX settings.

Greenlaw
04-19-2012, 01:14 AM
Yes, I agree with geo_n. If you're using old FFX files, the data is very likely invalid for recent versions.

FWIW, I've been rendering FiberFX on my network with BNR and it renders a bit faster with LWSN than it does on my main desktop computer.

G.

Greenlaw
04-19-2012, 01:16 AM
I should clarify that I'm talking about 11.0, not 11.0.1. BNR worked fine for me with 11.0 but I haven't had time to set it up for 11.0.1 yet.

G.

NinoK
04-19-2012, 09:13 AM
Weird, I tried to get it to render for two days on 11.0 and nothing worked, it would just hang, but I could render it fine on my local machine. Now with 11.0.1, I can render only certain frame ranges and it gets stuck often. What version of BNR are you using, not that this should matter?

Greenlaw
04-19-2012, 12:00 PM
That's strange. It makes me wonder if your BNR configs are loading the 11.0.1 version of FFX or an older one, which could create compatibility issues.

As for BNR version, yes it does make a difference from LW 10.1 and earlier. I think the current BNR version is 4.57 which has file naming fixes specifically for LW 11.0. I haven't heard of an update for 11.0.1 yet so 4.57 might be fine for it. This shouldn't affect FFX if you have the correct plug-ins installed for your LW 11/11.0.1 render groups, but you should still use the latest version of BNR to fix other issues.

G.

Greenlaw
07-09-2012, 05:29 PM
The FiberFX/LWSN bug in 11.0.1 is fixed in 11.0.2 (SP2), which was released today. Just thought some folks here would like to know that. :)

G.

dblincoe
07-28-2012, 10:54 AM
The FiberFX/LWSN bug in 11.0.1 is fixed in 11.0.2 (SP2), which was released today. Just thought some folks here would like to know that. :)

G.

Is there anything special you need to do to get fiberfx to render over a network. I'm using Screamernet controller on mac to control my nodes. Everything in my renders are working except the hair.
I'm just using two nodes on the same computer.

Greenlaw
07-28-2012, 11:48 AM
If FiberFX renders with f10, it should render with ScreamerNet. Just to be sure, you are using the latest SP2 release right? FiberFX did not network render properly with SP1.

FWIW, we recently completed a big project at work and FiberFX worked out great with ScreamerNet there. Sorry, I haven't tried it on a Mac though. Hopefully another Mac user can pop in and verify if this works correctly on Mac or not. If not, I would get a Fogbugz report in right away.

Hope you can get this running.

G.

dblincoe
07-28-2012, 11:56 AM
If FiberFX renders with f10, it should render with ScreamerNet. Just to be sure, you are using the latest SP2 release right? FiberFX did not network render properly with SP1.

FWIW, we recently completed a big project at work and FiberFX worked out great with ScreamerNet there. Sorry, I haven't tried it on a Mac though. Hopefully another Mac user can pop in and verify if this works correctly on Mac or not. If not, I would get a Fogbugz report in right away.

Hope you can get this running.

G.

Yeah, just downloaded from my account today. Works fine with f10 renders. As I am typing this I just realized the problem might be Screamernet controller. I just tried using LW in app ScreamerNetII and it rendered them fine. Looks like my configs for screamernet controller are torqued.

Thanks.

Greenlaw
07-28-2012, 08:39 PM
FYI, rendering a scene with multiple LWSN shells on a single machine isn't necessarily going to be faster than rendering with a single shell. You might keep it to a single shell or just use Render Queue instead because with Multithreading set to Automatic you can get all your available processors to work away on a single frame much faster and eliminate all the extra I/O and memory management stuff that happens with multiple shells and split resources. FWIW, when using BNR and LWSN we only use a single render node for each render computer, both at work and in my home studio, and this has been very efficient.

I know that doesn't directly solve the LWSN/FiberFX problem for you but it might help.

G.

jasonwestmas
07-29-2012, 11:56 AM
Don't use old FFX scenes and configs with newest LW versions. That's all I can think of, sorry you are having issues.

dblincoe
07-29-2012, 12:04 PM
Yeah, frustrating. I narrowed it down to something wrong with how my render nodes and controller are setup or something wrong with the last to service packs.
Another weird issue (related or not I am not sure) is that when I setup my output directory for my render images and the file type it is not saved when I open it up in Screamernet controller. I have to repick the file type and where to save the files.

I've rebuilt my configs...even reinstalled everything. Not sure what the problem is.

Greenlaw
07-29-2012, 12:20 PM
Oh, yeah, there is that...old FiberFX data is totally incompatible with Lightwave 11. Best to start from scratch.

There are a few 'gotchas' to be aware of, at least in the current version. I'll make a list with workarounds and tips and post it later.

G.

Greenlaw
07-29-2012, 12:31 PM
Are you using a third party render controller? Maybe you need to update it?

At home and at work we're using the latest BNR, and back when I started R&D-ing FiberFX at work I was using local LWSN shortcuts which worked well too (except with SP1; SP2 is fine.) Occasionally, I use the native RenderQ panel at work to batch render scenes locally and that works too. So, all of these methods *should* work. But I haven't tried 11 with other third-party controllers.

dblincoe
08-07-2012, 01:54 PM
Are you using a third party render controller? Maybe you need to update it?

At home and at work we're using the latest BNR, and back when I started R&D-ing FiberFX at work I was using local LWSN shortcuts which worked well too (except with SP1; SP2 is fine.) Occasionally, I use the native RenderQ panel at work to batch render scenes locally and that works too. So, all of these methods *should* work. But I haven't tried 11 with other third-party controllers.

Yes, screamernet controller. It is updated. I have even been going back and forth with the developer. We have narrowed it down to the object that fiberfx is on that is the culprit. Can't figure out what is wrong with it.
Please see this thread. http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?p=1262271#post1262271 I uploaded the scene and assets. If you wouldn't mind taking a look.