PDA

View Full Version : What two things would you most like to see in LW 12?

Pages : [1] 2

Dexter2999
04-17-2012, 12:31 PM
This isn't really a "blue sky" thread so no "fluids" requests please. (It just isn't realistic to expect them to crank out fluids in a year or so.)

What real things do you think would most benefit LW? And let's put in one alternate.

I'm going with:

a Projection Camera in Modeller

and

a better solve for Gimbal lock

My alternate would be:

a better bevel tool (one that works more like Bevel++)

Celshader
04-17-2012, 04:29 PM
If possible, I would like to see a native render pass system in LightWave 12. We have a proprietary render pass system for LightWave right now at work, and it makes for a smoother compositing pipeline.

nickdigital
04-17-2012, 06:54 PM
If possible, I would like to see a native render pass system in LightWave 12. We have a proprietary render pass system for LightWave right now at work, and it makes for a smoother compositing pipeline.

+1
LightWave desperately needs this to be part of the program.

raw-m
04-18-2012, 10:01 AM
+2
Also, easy to animate and setup deformers with path controls would be very welcome (I do a lot of mograph work).

zapper1998
04-18-2012, 10:34 AM
The "Easy Button"...

:)

erikals
04-18-2012, 10:48 AM
lattice
improved modeler
modeler tweak tools in Layout
octane support
interactive weightpaint in Layout
major "OGL" speedups in Modeler / Layout
good bendy bones for CA

Ryan Roye
04-19-2012, 06:15 AM
1) Layout: Do away with extremely long drop-down menus... it makes any function that involves picking an object, bone etc a lot more tedious than it should be. One should be able to type in part of a name of any item and have it condense the list down to items that contain those letters. This addition would make custom rigging, and any animation that involves motion plugins so much easier.

2) Improved weight painting in Modeler... or as Erikals suggested, a way to make weighting more interactive to require less trial-and-error.

Lewis
04-19-2012, 06:58 AM
1. Unified and interactive superfast modeling
2. Updated Native render controller which can render single frame or bake GI ( and VPR...) over network on all available computers/nodes.

tayotain2
04-19-2012, 08:37 AM

For me this is number 1 request... rendering passes make me cry blood sometimes.

speismonqui
04-19-2012, 08:31 PM
as Dexter... a projection camera in modeler, and (a little one) shading modes in background layers in modeler (poor, but I would really like that)

paulhart
04-19-2012, 08:55 PM
Long overdue and desperately needed. I have looked at Passport, played with the LScript code Surpasses (without success) but both of these are available for prototyping and adaption. Janus is well recognized and recommended, but I also think this should be a native Lightwave component.
I would also welcome some "luvin'" for NPR aspects. UnReal Extreme is awkward to use and less than creative for NPR enthusiasts.
Paul

vbk!!!
04-20-2012, 03:06 AM
+1 for a real pass/buffer manager.
It's one of the oldest request the lw users have.

not for lw12 but maybe for the 11.x cycle :
-Better and complete instance toolkit. I mean, bring the shading tools to work in the displacement level.

3DGFXStudios
04-20-2012, 03:15 AM
A complete dynamic engine with hard dynamics cloth hair fluids and particles
A good ocean shader with particle foam emission and some new Hypervoxels

vbk!!!
04-20-2012, 04:06 AM
A good ocean shader with particle foam emission and some new Hypervoxels

I don't believe in this kind of built-in/highlevel tool.

We should say instead :
- better particle system supporting with full nodal workflow.
- Particles instancing.
- New volume primitive system with full nodal workflow
- Particles at render time. Maybe something like the display and render subpatch or some pixel filter allowing to choose some baked particles to render without to get it directly in the scene.

What do you think of this ?

kopperdrake
04-20-2012, 05:12 AM
A muppet-friendly network rendering solution. As simple as dropping an client application onto each render node, and allowing the master render node to find them over the local network. This must be possible.

+1 for long lists - I would like the option to view objects/lights etc in the same way I can view files on my PC - as icons of differoing sizes would be great. Icons I could clump together as I see fit (based on my own project organisation) would be very cool. Icons I could colour-code, add notes too, even small previews of the actual object would be good.

vbk!!!
04-20-2012, 05:35 AM
shematic view in a separate window like the scene editors.

3DGFXStudios
04-20-2012, 06:11 AM
I don't believe in this kind of built-in/highlevel tool.

We should say instead :
- better particle system supporting with full nodal workflow.
- Particles instancing.
- New volume primitive system with full nodal workflow
- Particles at render time. Maybe something like the display and render subpatch or some pixel filter allowing to choose some baked particles to render without to get it directly in the scene.

What do you think of this ?

Good idea! I want it all. I now some things aren't realistic to ask for but that doesn't mean I do want certain features ;) :hey:

vbk!!!
04-20-2012, 08:56 AM
Cellshader
Can you tell more about the pass manager you use.
Is it script or C dev ? Nodal ? Something similar to the Houdini's Take feature ?

thx

Celshader
04-20-2012, 09:56 AM
Cellshader
Can you tell more about the pass manager you use.
Is it script or C dev ? Nodal ? Something similar to the Houdini's Take feature ?

thx

It's a custom-written Python script based on wxPython and PythonCard for the GUI. It is not nodal at this time. You can launch it from LightWave or right-click on the scene file to launch it.

The system does nothing to the original scene file. Instead, it stores all of its settings in a subfolder of a folder that sits next to the original scene file. It also keeps a history of previous settings in a subfolder of that folder. It launches when you are ready to submit the scene to the render farm. It lets you define as many variations of the scene as you like, then it generates modified copies of the original scene and submits the copies to the render farm. The original scene file is left untouched.

The system groups objects by their stock wireframe colors in Layout. Hovering over each color-coded drop-down list will show you the object layers, lights, and nulls with HVs/DP_Instance that belong to that shot.

You can use the basic settings in the color-coded drop-down lists to change basic object properties (ex: Matte Black, Matte Black w/Alpha, Matte Red, Matte Green, Matte Blue, Unseen By Camera, Unchecked in Scene Editor, Replace with Null) on groups of objects. You can turn groups of lights on/off, too.

If you activate the "Override" button for a given render pass, you can also disable Environment/Pixel/Volumetric/Image plug-ins, disable/enable the Render Globals settings (raytrace options, radiosity settings, Render Lines, etc), disable Ambient Intensity, adjust light/flare intensity, and change camera settings/resolution. There is an Overscan setting in case the compositor needs the render to exceed the borders of the shot. You can also choose to override the camera used for each layer.

Another panel lets you choose the buffers that will be exported with each layer. It offers everything that exrTrader offers, plus four special buffers created with DP_Filter (ex: XYZ data).

The system also offers special render passes for specific compositing needs. For HyperVoxel work, there's Diffuse, Spec, and Raw_RGB. These are accomplished by turning on/off Diffuse/Spec settings on the lights and/or cranking up the Ambient Intensity for the scene.

There are two "Depth" passes -- one that uses traditional white fog on black matte objects, and another that uses red fog on matte green objects against a black background (so that the compositor can cleanly separate the most distant objects from the background).

There's also an Ambient Occlusion pass that uses DP_Filter and Denis Pontonnier's Ambient Occlusion shader. There's a "Crud" pass that cubic-maps the image of your choice to the entire scene via DP_Filter.

The system tightly integrates with Deadline and can assign post-Job scripts if Motion Vector and/or XYZ-Data get rendered with the shot. For example, a post-Job Python script formats and normalizes the Motion vector data so that the compositors that use Reel Smart Motion Blur have perfect RSMB data every time.

It also offers a checkbox for Stereoscopic renders. Some of our shots have stereo camera tracks imported from Maya -- a right camera and a left camera. When checked, the system looks at the active camera and tries to find its stereo counterpart. It will then submit two scenes for each layer to the render farm -- an "R" and an "L." If the system guesses wrong, or if multiple cameras are involved, the artist has the option to individually override the left and right cameras per layer.

The system also offers F9/ProxyF9 options to preview what the breakout will look like before it is sent to the farm. It generates a test render scene, fires up LWSN.exe in -3 mode, renders a single frame and its buffers to a temp folder in the C:\ drive, and uses XNView to display the results. F9 will show the real settings, while ProxyF9 shows a half-res frame with the antialiasing and motion blur passes disabled.

When you like what you see, hit the Submit button to send it to the render farm. The system generates the scenes and their render folders, and submits the scenes to the render farm.

This was all possible because of LightWave's teeny-tiny text-based scene file format. You can hack that sucker to do anything.

:lwicon:

vbk!!!
04-20-2012, 10:47 AM
Jen :
thanks a lot your explanation !
Your system have some really nice features.
Anyway, for a full automate process you need a properly set renderfarm first. And this python program is a long dev process, really far from my scripting knowledge.
I hope NT team will make a embedded pass manager soon.

BigHache
04-21-2012, 03:31 PM
Nice Jen, sounds cool. Thanks for going through that.

Carm3D
04-27-2012, 12:05 PM
1. FXMetaLink does not play well together with displacement maps. Please, please, please address this.

2. Customizable control panel where I can place a background image, add gadgets that I can grab and move about to be facial or body controllers. And they should work interactively even if they are triggering expressions (very important).

erikals
04-27-2012, 12:26 PM
did you FogBugz it....?
(see my signature)

4dartist
04-27-2012, 12:49 PM
1. Death to the hub.
2. Hypervoxels 3.0
3. Better basic particles (need to work better at high speeds/direction changes (subframe calc?))
4. Improve modelers ability to handle geometry. Grab and move a point on a 30,000 poly object without wanting to vomit.

dblincoe
04-27-2012, 12:59 PM
+1 on render pass management
&
thumbnail previews in open dialogue when opening scenes and objects

(really I want everything everybody else wrote too) Do It Newtek!

dblincoe
04-27-2012, 01:03 PM
Somebody mention better UV tools please! I already mentioned two.

cagey5
04-27-2012, 01:05 PM
1. An Eagle
2. A Barrel

preferably combined.

erikals
04-27-2012, 01:14 PM
Somebody mention better UV tools please! I already mentioned two.

they were supposedly working on it, way back...

shrox
04-27-2012, 01:32 PM
More options for prettier lens flares that respond to all camera functions, zoom, fisheye in Real Lens Cam, motion blur, etc...

Glow based on distance.

Oh, and better layered fog, like ground fog.

drako
04-27-2012, 01:59 PM
-We want one solid 3d software and not two...we demand this from 2000 and we have 2012 and still we talk about that.And please when we demand a Projection Camera in Modeller its not very usable as the other softwares have,and is not a true tool and we blocked ourshelves in 2 softwares separated so yes death to hub.
(We can understand the fluids that its not realistic but newtek can buy turbulence 4d and that is very realistic proposition integrated in lightwave.)
So if 1 thing is going to happen for me is having LIGHTWAVE 12 as one software.No layout and no modeler just ONE......

zapper1998
04-27-2012, 02:02 PM
A Better HyperVoxels Solution For Sure...

Updated one..

Danner
04-27-2012, 06:47 PM
1) Instancing in modeler or some kind of polygon island functionality, so we can resize several things along their geometric center at the same time. (I do use the script but its clumsy).

2) interactive snap tools while modeling and modifying geometry. (ala LWCAD or XSI)

Greenlaw
04-27-2012, 07:17 PM
Joints system that follows industry standards for better FBX and third party compatibility--much needed for streamlining mocap workflow.
Bullet cloth. (I know this is coming but hopefully sooner than 12?)
Weight painting in Layout.
Endomorph creation and editing in Layout (i.e., for joint deform corrections, etc.)
Basic vertex editing tools in Layout (point move and magnet tool would be a good start.)
The ability to save multiple bookmarks for Perspective View (we currently have only one 'Store View'.)

dblincoe
04-28-2012, 07:36 AM
Forgot this one (always do until I do a lot or re-rendering) and tales about it another thread. We need an adaptive antialiasing setting comparison tool (think save for web comparison view in photoshop). Window show's part of the scene's camera view is split allowing you to see different AA settings to compare result and time.

prometheus
04-28-2012, 10:24 AM
1. A volumetric Atmosphere engine wich rivals ozone and vue, such thing was
worked on a long time ago before vue got volumetric, and it was called OgoTaiki.

steal the source and improve it to rival ozone and go beyond, wich in some cases it already does.

thatīs numero uno..

2. Liquid solver, Im still chanting for that, but I think that will be left to Jascha to do, Im gonna get turbulence anyway.

So Im still left with a second choice:) and that would be enhanced particle system and renderer wich works flawlessly with bullet, and can render in krakatoa style and with that also comes Enhanced HV ala dynamite HVīs fireshader and blending features, and workin on geometry full bodyīs not only particles.

Michael

Cageman
04-28-2012, 10:48 AM
Since there are at least one third party toolset to deal with Pass-management/renderlayer etc, I can live without an intergrated solution as it stands.

1) I would want to see some form of direct vertex manipulation within Layout to ease the reshaping of things when working with backplates+projections. This could later be extended to work with MDDs/GeoCaches in order to (keyframe) reshape the deformation (See Messiah).

2) A deformer that allows for one mesh to drive the deformation of another mesh that works in both local and worldspace. Lets say you have this beautiful ocean animation, all cached down to an MDD, and what you need is another mesh to be moved through this deformed mesh, respecting the normals of the ocean mesh. This effect can be achived in LW, but only when using texture displacement, applying the same texture to the mesh you want to move through. But, when you can't limit yourself to just texture displacements, you currently do not have a way to achive the effect.

EDIT: Sticky surface motionmodifier (which takes the pivot of an object and sticks it to a surface), but think Displacements instead where all vertecies are respecting the normals of the deforming mesh.

Greenlaw
04-28-2012, 11:42 AM
Oh, I just remembered one. This is something I've wanted for years now: In the render stats/preview window, I'd like to see a counter for the number of adaptive sampling passes have been completed. This info would be helpful for optimizing settings AA/AS settings. Currently, we have to sit there as the frame renders, watching and counting the AS passes to see if it's going the full 7 or less.

G.

HolyMonkey-
04-28-2012, 01:41 PM
1) Integrated kray with better GUI

2) More quick rig animation tools e.g Select two ends of a cylinder that will simulate a rope, add animation plugin - two nulls will pop up at each end and you can move that cylinder basd on the position of the two nulls and add parameters to make it tighter or looser. Just stuff like this in general, really handy. =)

Carm3D
04-28-2012, 01:42 PM
For the record, not all of us are pining for a unified ap. I don't care that Modeler and Layout are separate. I would rather the other aspects are addressed first. I don't care of they ever get unified. I do my character modeling in Silo anyways. I would urge NewTek to focus on filling in the features gaps, rather than the convenience factor of a unified ap.

erikals
04-28-2012, 01:48 PM
For the record, not all of us are pining for a unified ap.

i don't think most of us do,
basic Modeler tools in Layout is more what we are craving for...

(Simple editing tools, tools that ease CA tweaks, fixing models in a Camera view)
 

Cageman
04-28-2012, 01:54 PM
i don't think most of us do,
basic Modeler tools in Layout is more what we are craving for...

(Simple editing tools, tools that ease CA tweaks, fixing models in a Camera view)
 

Exactly!

geo_n
04-29-2012, 05:53 AM
1. Unified and interactive superfast modeling

-We want one solid 3d software and not two...we demand this from 2000 and we have 2012 and still we talk about that.And please when we demand a Projection Camera in Modeller its not very usable as the other softwares have,and is not a true tool and we blocked ourshelves in 2 softwares separated so yes death to hub.
(We can understand the fluids that its not realistic but newtek can buy turbulence 4d and that is very realistic proposition integrated in lightwave.)
So if 1 thing is going to happen for me is having LIGHTWAVE 12 as one software.No layout and no modeler just ONE......

+1
It would be counter productive to implement modifier stack(3ds), parametric animateable modelling tools(3ds,c4d), nodal non-destructive modelling(houdini,xsi,etc) in modeller.
One big limitation of lightwave is the separate lws, lwo format because of two applications making renderpass management even with third party plugins, and asset file management tedious.
Modeller doesn't have to be discarded though and it can be used by lwvers who are used to this workflow but to attract new users, new cashflow, unification has to be done.

3dworks
04-29-2012, 08:13 AM
a few ideas, mostly about workflow enhancements which i'm missing in everyday use:

* VPR optionally as resizable window with individual mouse zoom and drag (a' la fprime) - a must for fast details editing without leaving the main perspective/ camera.

* clip maps as surface property (did i say that, lol?)

* user controllable list orders everywhere. especially in popups for selecting images or uv maps, the order needs to be user controllable. tired of scrolling up and down for eternities within huge scenes to find that specific item in the list. at least give us an alphabetical order option.

* better undo function, it is still partially implemented - giving more problems when used then if when not used. if more then a few wrong steps happen and i want to go back to a previous situation, i prefer to reload the whole scene in order not to mess up everything - which happens because some components of the scene will undo, others not.

* a more flexible materials preview. please add a way to preview textures with UV mapping and add an option to use custom preview mini scenes. also, please let us sort items in the surface editor, see previous point about list management.

* presets for render options, GI options, camera options, light options, output options.

* a simple, one button solution for rendering in background. let the user edit the scene while a test rendering goes on, without the need to use a complex network render setup.

* an easy to use solution for rendering clip planes with the native engine which works with GI, instances and all shaders. this is needed for perspective cuts in archviz or for showing a machine interior, for example. we need preferably a 2 plane solution, front and back clipping. ideally this would work with any camera...

list to be continued :;

cheers

markus

shrox
04-29-2012, 01:11 PM
I like separate modeling and layout anim windows, but I would like vertex selection and movement in layout.

Dexter2999
04-29-2012, 01:31 PM
a few ideas, mostly about workflow enhancements which i'm missing in everyday use:

* VPR optionally as resizable window with individual mouse zoom and drag (a' la fprime) - a must for fast details editing without leaving the main perspective/ camera.

* clip maps as surface property (did i say that, lol?)

* user controllable list orders everywhere. especially in popups for selecting images or uv maps, the order needs to be user controllable. tired of scrolling up and down for eternities within huge scenes to find that specific item in the list. at least give us an alphabetical order option.

* better undo function, it is still partially implemented - giving more problems when used then if when not used. if more then a few wrong steps happen and i want to go back to a previous situation, i prefer to reload the whole scene in order not to mess up everything - which happens because some components of the scene will undo, others not.

* a more flexible materials preview. please add a way to preview textures with UV mapping and add an option to use custom preview mini scenes. also, please let us sort items in the surface editor, see previous point about list management.

* presets for render options, GI options, camera options, light options, output options.

* a simple, one button solution for rendering in background. let the user edit the scene while a test rendering goes on, without the need to use a complex network render setup.

* an easy to use solution for rendering clip planes with the native engine which works with GI, instances and all shaders. this is needed for perspective cuts in archviz or for showing a machine interior, for example. we need preferably a 2 plane solution, front and back clipping. ideally this would work with any camera...

list to be continued :;

cheers

markus

Two things Markus. Two. With one alternate. Go through your list and pick the two most important things to you that could realistically be developed and implemented in the next release.

This part isn't directed at any one person.
Again, not a "blue sky" thread. The idea was to create a thread that hopefully Newtek could look at with realistic expectations of things that would improve LW and could be implemented in the short term. I think we have seen more than enough threads saying "I want this, and this, and this, and this, ad infinitum, ad nauseum." Those types of request usually get ignored. When you ask too much people shut down and stop listening.

So far, the overwhelming response has been to better render pass management. Personally, I am with Cageman in that there is an app. that does this admirably, but the masses speak. Perhaps Newtek will listen.

I really like several of the requests I've seen so far and many of them I think have been very realistic.

Lewis
04-29-2012, 01:37 PM
I like separate modeling and layout anim windows, but I would like vertex selection and movement in layout.

And surface assigning on polys, and vertex groups, and skelegons and.............................. Unified app :).

There is no "just bits and parts" it's all or nothing, anything else is waste of DEVs time (and potentially ours too).

Also take notice that unified app doesn't mean you'll have animate icons/buttons while you model (which is most common misinterpret from people who think separated is better). Workspaces solve that easily so when you model you still can feel like you are in modeler if you wish (GUI look).

Really there is maybe 2-3 slight drawbacks (or better to say workflow changes) at integration but at least 10x more advantages.

Mr. Wilde
04-29-2012, 01:53 PM
Unified app and three default workspaces: Modeler, Layout, Unified. Done. ;)

shrox
04-29-2012, 03:05 PM
And surface assigning on polys, and vertex groups, and skelegons and.............................. Unified app :).

There is no "just bits and parts" it's all or nothing, anything else is waste of DEVs time (and potentially ours too).

Also take notice that unified app doesn't mean you'll have animate icons/buttons while you model (which is most common misinterpret from people who think separated is better). Workspaces solve that easily so when you model you still can feel like you are in modeler if you wish (GUI look).

Really there is maybe 2-3 slight drawbacks (or better to say workflow changes) at integration but at least 10x more advantages.

I like the two. I'm autistic. I mean artistic...OK both.

shrox
04-29-2012, 03:06 PM
Unified app and three default workspaces: Modeler, Layout, Unified. Done. ;)

I would like that as Lightwave's Wilde Ride.

kopperdrake
04-29-2012, 05:03 PM
1. An Eagle
2. A Barrel

preferably combined.

A beagle? Crazy fool.

robertoortiz
04-29-2012, 05:18 PM
Ptex, and a better volumetric engine...

Dexter2999
04-29-2012, 05:31 PM
Ptex, and a better volumetric engine...

There were some impressive demo's of Mari and Nuke with Ptex from the NAB coverage by fxguide. They just took a photo and painted it onto the geometry. No UV's. The speed in workflow was something else.

geo_n
04-29-2012, 09:15 PM
Developing renderpass management now for separate applications .... even Janus is limited and not because of Lernies efforts, who is using houdini last I saw btw. Because layout and modeller are separate you can't make scenes with proper "renderlayers" and object variations without saving separate lws,lwo files for each. Breaking out scenes with janus or python is a work around. They should look at c4d, 3dmax, etc.

There's some confusion with renderpasses I think because many threads recently are asking renderpasses but actually they mean buffers. There's some discussion here about the difference which explains it better.
http://forums.luxology.com/discussion/topic.aspx?id=55204
To quote
"with render passes, there is much more control over the final outcome of the later composited images. As was already said, with render passes each pass can be set up as an individual scene within a scene with different materials, lighting settings etc. and partitions to organize them.

This can be achieved without render passes, but in this case different scenes have to be set up for each pass. This can be quite cumbersome when dealing with large scenes with lots of passes. One would want to have all this information in a single scene. It's clearer, faster and more fun to work with."

Variations within the scene is limited with layout and modeller separate.
Variations that get updated in a unified app will not have to be updated across different scene files. Time saver.

3dworks
04-30-2012, 04:25 AM
Two things Markus. Two. With one alternate. Go through your list and pick the two most important things to you that could realistically be developed and implemented in the next release.

lol , what if i tell you that *any* 2 of them would be ok :)

now, if we really have to focus, my personal most wanted would be the vpr enhancements, because this would help in so many situations. the second one would be the better list management.

MentalFish
04-30-2012, 04:35 AM
Continued improvements to the Unity integration, Modeler speedup and tool consolidation.

safetyman
04-30-2012, 05:13 AM
1. A complete snapping solution (snap to points/polys/edges, etc.). This would make me very happy.
2. An advanced auto-rigging feature, which everyone else seems to have. I know there are tools out there (thanks Rebel Hill), but a built-in, integrated solution would be a huge selling point. I also know that even with such a thing, LW has other problems in the character animation arena, but this would go a long way towards getting us up to speed with other apps.

ianr
05-02-2012, 04:58 AM
THING1):NewTek to employ Rebel-Hill & bring his 'AUTO-RIGGERS & his wish tweaks'
with a modded IK Booster update all to splice/integrate together with a bought in
'TAFA' Facial Joystick system,for a 'hit the road-running' mature package.
Keep Mac(TAFA) working on the boned version 2 & a Hand Joystick system on a
Retainer for Rev12, with a view to integration with cheap Virtual tools in a future
puppet system .
THING2): Rebel-Hill & Lino Grandi to oversee together an integrated MUSCLE
SYSTEM for launch in Rev12. (Say call it Rebel-Grandi or Big-Hill Pecs , ha!)
(Incidentally, Kickstand's 'StretchMesh' has just gone open source,now that's a fit)
The Muscle system links to built-in LATTICE deformers & BENDY Bones Tool, done
by NT coders of course , robustly usable in both layout & modeler from 11.5 onwards.
So that the art of looney- tunes can be expressed & passed on at least .
LOGIC): Rebel-Hill's deep exploration of rigging can NO longer be left un- rewarded
by NewTek ,as he ,almost single handedly,solves most CHAR Problem on forums.
MISSION STATEMENT to the NT Board:
These character animation perceived weaknesses ( By Reviewers) need addressing
NOW,so again LightWave can give a 'straight out of the box' buzz which always has
been it's lustre from time to time. A joyful rigging experience , not Guru's covering
up for shortages & work arounds.
There's been a Long Dithering on this NewTek,as 601 has gone over that fence...

Excuse typos written while inflight on my iPhone.

S
S

Wit

erikals
05-02-2012, 11:13 AM
 
StretchMesh for CA would rock indeed...
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?p=1241810#post1241810

 

Cageman
05-02-2012, 01:24 PM
Developing renderpass management now for separate applications .... even Janus is limited and not because of Lernies efforts, who is using houdini last I saw btw.

Janus is not discontinued because Lernie is using Houdini, because, frankly speaking, you mentioned that as if he is leaving the LW-community; he is not. Just wanted to make sure that others who read this thread understands that.

I got a new build of Janus two days ago... LW11 compatible... just saying...

EDIT: Out of curriosity; what is it with Janus that limits you?

geo_n
05-02-2012, 11:09 PM
Janus is not discontinued because Lernie is using Houdini, because, frankly speaking, you mentioned that as if he is leaving the LW-community; he is not. Just wanted to make sure that others who read this thread understands that.

I got a new build of Janus two days ago... LW11 compatible... just saying...

EDIT: Out of curriosity; what is it with Janus that limits you?

Never said he was leaving janus or lw. I just said he is using houdini and his post seem he's real happy with houdini Non-destructive modelling and saying it was like when he learned 3D with lightwave, fun and enjoyable. He does mention increasing frustration as time goes on using lw. Probably due to lack of modelling tool updates? Lack of non-destructive workflow, parametric tools, etc.

We already discussed janus at lux forum and some other threads. Its not only because of Janus, its because layout and modeller are separate. That's the biggest limitation.

I'm glad janus works for you unfortunately it doesn't work for me and its too confusing for other artist I tried to pass it on.
Also Stooch didn't seem to think maya renderlayers was inferior to janus and lw way. And he knows maya and lw ways looking at his works.
My experience is 3dmax and lw way. 3dmax is superior in this regard only because its a unified application and the renderlayers are scenes within scenes in one file that can be updated easily. A change in animation doesn't mean I have to change a bunch of scene files to update the animation. A scene, object, lighting, etc variation doesn't mean I have to save out a totally different scene that need to keep track of and update again and again. And this is separate from the xref stuff which is a lot of power in itself.
Modo is developing renderlayers, scenes within scenes, because its a unified app. I've yet to try it though because of the shadertree but they will pass lw in this aspect if lw doesn't get unified. Developing a renderpass system now with layout and modeller separate, don't know, its a waste.

rikka+
05-03-2012, 01:48 AM
I would like:
1-> A Better material preview, have the possibility of undock the sample,move/zoom/rotate it and see the uv mapping on it too.. Also the preset shelf need an upgrade.
2-> +1 for uv/weight/texture painting:

There were some impressive demo's of Mari and Nuke with Ptex from the NAB coverage by fxguide. They just took a photo and painted it onto the geometry. No UV's. The speed in workflow was something else.

K-Dawg
05-03-2012, 04:52 AM
My 2 are:
1. A native Linux version for the most popular Distros (Debian/Ubuntu, OpenSuSE, Fedora etc.)
2. Coming with LW 12

lwanmtr
05-03-2012, 06:45 PM
Modeler tools that dont break UV's, like rounder, Fracture, extrude, etc.....

Better YV Unwrapping tools (like Zbrush's UV Master(or whatever its called)

Dexter2999
05-04-2012, 01:10 AM
So far, the most popular suggestions appear to be (in order most popular first)

Better render pass manager
improved hypervoxels
better deformers
modler tools in Layout
weight paint in Layout
Vertex editing in Layout
Updated Native network controller/ network render VPR/Still frame/baked GI
improved modler
faster OGL

Everything else had 2 or less people expressing interest.

The more attainable suggestions (I believe) were
Setting comparison tool (works with AA)
Pop Out window for VPR
Pop Out window for Schematic view
Multiple bookmarks for Perspective view
Bullet cloth
AA stats in preview window
interactive snap tools
better list management tools for Layout

Perhaps less realistic but could be in demand by high end pipelines would be
Ptex
better deformers
Joint option that is more "industry standard"

But this is taking real data and then applying my personal skewed judgement to it.

MarcusM
05-07-2012, 06:56 AM
My suggestions for Modeler:

Layers management like in Photoshop
Click on surface in perspective view like in Layout VPR (Shift + left mouse button)
Pop out window with UV view.

And what is in Unity 3d and would be very nice to use in Layout and Modeler. Catch material and drop directly on object! :]

K-Dawg
05-09-2012, 08:34 AM
Don't underestimate the demand for a native Linux Client. There have been many requests for this over the last years and since Linux systems are getting more popular and also cost effective for Studios, it would be wise to support Linux.

Now NT won't have to consider all Distros out there, but the main Distros would be nice like (K)Ubuntu, Debian, OpenSuSE, Arch, Fedora etc.

To believe Linux people would not buy Closed Source Software and therefore not consider it, is not wise. Of course there are some die Hard Ideologists out there, but they won't use Lightwave or any GUI Software in the first place and complain that Linux even has a Graphical Desktop.

I certainly would upgrade to a LW version including Linux without hesitation.

For me personally I will not update to Windows 8 and Windows 7 will be my last Windows ever. For now I'm mainly tied to Windows cause of Lightwave. I have a replacement for almost every other software I use and the ones don't run on Linux with WINE. I even have Games running on my Linux with WINE.

Greetz

probiner
05-09-2012, 12:21 PM
I just want to see one. Unification. :D
I suppose with this all the other things will follow and Modeler and whatever can be fully developed.

Cheers

cagey5
05-09-2012, 12:28 PM
Don't underestimate the demand for a native Linux Client. There have been many requests for this over the last years....... [SNIP] ..... For now I'm mainly tied to Windows cause of Lightwave. I have a replacement for almost every other software I use and the ones don't run on Linux with WINE. I even have Games running on my Linux with WINE.

Greetz

What he said. :agree:

Dexter2999
05-09-2012, 12:59 PM
I don't discount a Linux distro. I added my name to the list of people asking for one four...five? years ago. And while they were entertaining the idea for CORE it doesn't seem to have had the same tracktion in LW.

I think with Windows 8 looming that it should be considered more seriously. What I have seen of Windows 8 so far just makes me angry. It almost seems to presuppose that everyone EVERYONE just uses a computer like they would a phone or a tablet. And yes, I have read where people say "You just go in and turn it off". Here's the thing. I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO!!!

This type of interface is actually a throwback to when home PC's first came out. They had these custom GUI interfaces to make the PC "easier" to use. As a byproduct users get no idea of;
where programs are installed
how to navigate to folders
where they are saving files to

The OS "just" puts it wherever MS decides it should be. (I'm speaking of old school here not Win8). My friends would call me to come over to help them find their files because they were saved all over the place.

I still find it bizarre the mindset of how MS chooses to do things with the "store" and even the media center files being five folders deep in a nonintuitvely named folder.

Also, assuming everyone wants indexing by default. Everyone should have the Administrator account hidden by default. Their track record blows. And I see no signs that things are actually improving. Just more pixie dust to dazzle the masses of sheep.

Yes, a Linux distro would be nice.

djlithium
05-16-2012, 01:31 PM
How about a complete and robust undo system before any of this?

geo_n
05-17-2012, 04:58 AM
How about a complete and robust undo system before any of this?

No argument here. We do need undo everywhere even in surface editor.
But does it require a gradual rewrite that would be better off when lightwave is unified.

djlithium
05-17-2012, 10:23 AM
Wow dude, you keep chasing me around screaming "unify, unify, unify!" on the threads here. You know what that makes me want to say and do in return? Scream "COOOOOOOOORRRREEEEE!" -remember that fiasco? Unification of LightWave is a non-starter. Unification for LightWave with all these functions this thread talks about here is irrelevant. Unification is not going to get you ambelic faster. Unification is not going to get you undo in the surface editor. If anything it would slow it down from being a reality.

dblincoe
05-17-2012, 11:08 AM
wow dude, you keep chasing me around screaming "unify, unify, unify!" on the threads here. You know what that makes me want to say and do in return? Scream "cooooooooorrrreeeee!" -remember that fiasco? Unification of lightwave is a non-starter. Unification for lightwave with all these functions this thread talks about here is irrelevant. Unification is not going to get you ambelic faster. Unification is not going to get you undo in the surface editor. If anything it would slow it down from being a reality.

+1

geo_n
05-17-2012, 08:08 PM
Wow dude, you keep chasing me around screaming "unify, unify, unify!" on the threads here. You know what that makes me want to say and do in return? Scream "COOOOOOOOORRRREEEEE!" -remember that fiasco? Unification of LightWave is a non-starter. Unification for LightWave with all these functions this thread talks about here is irrelevant. Unification is not going to get you ambelic faster. Unification is not going to get you undo in the surface editor. If anything it would slow it down from being a reality.

Well we both don't know,since we both can't program, if its better to add major features then PATCH it up later after they try again to unify lightwave again. :D
Car analogy :p - is it better to keep patching up the old rustbucket with new rims, new sound system, repaint the body and leave all the rusted and busted parts in OR start rebuilding from within first then add that new sound systems, etc.

I remember core. Not everything was bad about it as some people make it. Only lw only people were saying how bad it is. Non lw people were getting interested with lw again that time. Well they're gone again.
It was actually a good start, a good idea, good direction to unify but with very very bad planning, execution, and ultimately it failed.

jeric_synergy
05-17-2012, 11:14 PM
Ahh, is it CORE season again? How time flies.

vbk!!!
05-22-2012, 04:10 AM
DJ Lithium :
If you need undo to the surface editor you need to think a way to UNIFY the 2 two editor interfaces we have now. That's a fact.

dblincoe
05-22-2012, 11:22 AM
DJ Lithium :
If you need undo to the surface editor you need to think a way to UNIFY the 2 two editor interfaces we have now. That's a fact.

Just curious, why would a unified app be the only way to offer that? How is that a fact?

jeric_synergy
05-22-2012, 01:26 PM
Just curious, why would a unified app be the only way to offer that? How is that a fact?
I assumed he meant the Layers and Nodes editors of the Surface... thingy.

UnCommonGrafx
05-22-2012, 01:29 PM
Leap support in modeler.
Leap support in layout.
Leap support in the thing of Core season.

vbk!!!
05-22-2012, 01:49 PM

Just curious,
where did you read something about unified app in my sentence ?

The fact is :
if you want a global undo between the surface editor of the modeler and the one of the layout, you need to make informations transfert via the hub for this purpose. To link the 2 surfaces editor means to unify them for me.
A lot of lightwave users don't want a unifed app but I think eveyone is happy with the hub synchronizing and updating object modifications ...
The hub tend to link dynamically Layout and Modeler. For me it's the way choosen to unify a little the 2 apps. For the moment the informations managed with the hub is limited but more the request like a robust undo comes, more the hub will managed more and more info. Lightwave will be unified this way even it keeps differents interfaces.
Maybe I wrong of course but not for all : I can still make the difference between the core of a program and the interface.

dblincoe
05-22-2012, 03:38 PM
Just curious,
where did you read something about unified app in my sentence ?

The fact is :
if you want a global undo between the surface editor of the modeler and the one of the layout, you need to make informations transfert via the hub for this purpose. To link the 2 surfaces editor means to unify them for me.
A lot of lightwave users don't want a unifed app but I think eveyone is happy with the hub synchronizing and updating object modifications ...
The hub tend to link dynamically Layout and Modeler. For me it's the way choosen to unify a little the 2 apps. For the moment the informations managed with the hub is limited but more the request like a robust undo comes, more the hub will managed more and more info. Lightwave will be unified this way even it keeps differents interfaces.
Maybe I wrong of course but not for all : I can still make the difference between the core of a program and the interface.

My mistake, earlier the conversation djlithium was talking about " screaming "unify, unify, unify!" on the threads here. You know what that makes me want to say and do in return? Scream "COOOOOOOOORRRREEEEE!" then your post said "UNIFY" in large caps and by "two editor interfaces" I thought you meant the one in modeler and the one in layout. Guess I didn't follow the conversation close enough. That's why I asked.

vbk!!!
05-22-2012, 04:35 PM
no probemo.
Imho, the hub is certainly the most underestimate part of lightwave ( for the dev I mean).
I think the hub should be the core of lightwave managing modeling, shading,lighting and animation, render, image processing. So 5 master interfaces.
Using the hub this way and there will be no more need of double surface editor and image editor. No need to use memory to with 2 objects instead of 1.
I though lightwave CORE was planned like that ... How wrong I was !

JonW
05-22-2012, 04:54 PM
My 2:

Multithreading in Modeler.

Multithreading in Layout.

With 32 HT core boxes & only 1 core being used, there are bottlenecks, it's a bit sad to say the least!

gravin
05-23-2012, 12:51 PM
my 2:

Multithreading in modeler.

Multithreading in layout.

With 32 ht core boxes & only 1 core being used, there are bottlenecks, it's a bit sad to say the least!

+1

vbk!!!
05-23-2012, 01:27 PM
In ever meet fully multithreaded 3d application.
But I wonder how GPU can improve tool performance ...

lwanmtr
05-23-2012, 02:01 PM
I think the one thing we can all agree on is that it's hard to pin it down to just 2 things we'd like to see.... Lightwave is finally getting the modernization we've all been wanting since...well for a loooooong time..but we all still have lists of 'I want.....' that are pages long...lol.

But here's a couple that havent been mentioned....

Better Marketing

More exposure in High schools and Colleges

Lightwave is still a viable app and is getting better...I was able to sway some max and maya lovers when I was at school for animation, by simply demonstrating the renderer..and that was 9.2.

jeric_synergy
05-23-2012, 02:09 PM
Better Marketing

More exposure in High schools and Colleges

Lightwave is still a viable app and is getting better...I was able to sway some max and maya lovers when I was at school for animation, by simply demonstrating the renderer..and that was 9.2.
NewTek should GIVE seats away to community colleges, colleges and universities. With network-enabled dongles (that is, limited physical infrastructure), what's the downside? More people wanting LW?

lwanmtr
05-23-2012, 02:28 PM
Problem is NewTek would have to fight their way in..AD has a tendency to require that schools that teach with their products NOT teach others such as Lightwave as part of their educational thing.

However, there are alot of schools, so I'm sure NewTek could find some places.

Andrewstopheles
05-23-2012, 03:57 PM
1. inline help in tooltips explaining tool usage when you hover over a button, with a global on/off switch for those tooltips, and the ability to map that switch to a keyboard shortcut
2. fx tools unification (particles/ik/bullet/softbodies/liquid)

JonW
05-26-2012, 06:44 AM
Problem is NewTek would have to fight their way in..AD has a tendency to require that schools that teach with their products NOT teach others such as Lightwave as part of their educational thing.

This sounds like a good opportunity for the lawyers.

If you are going to learn French you are not allowed to learn Chinese! If thats the case the other can get stuffed!

dblincoe
05-26-2012, 10:39 AM
This sounds like a good opportunity for the lawyers.

If you are going to learn French you are not allowed to learn Chinese! If thats the case the other can get stuffed!

Agree. It is ridiculous that exclusive deals are being made in universities. "Hey university we will give you the apps either free or extremely discounted if you only teach our apps." Translation: you just sold the loyalty of the students who become a future customer. So in essence it is, for the educator about getting a discount, the program/app developer getting potential customers and the student not getting experience on a variety of apps. It is about short economic gain and not the potential economic viability that a well educated student would be as a more-rounded 3d artist.

Even, artist not in university get ripped off by these deals. The app developers making these deals don't have a need to be competitive and win the audience. The university is doing that for them. What incentives do they have to make huge developmental leaps in their software? Why should they be competitive in their pricing to those outside of the educational arena. The app developer that is not in on these deals loose out the $ that could have made their way into their hands due to "free enterprise" which would have also impacted the development of their software. That would have translated into potentially better tools for the artist. The industry gains a lot of students trained on few packages instead of well versed in multiple packages.

Unfortunately the educational arena is for sale. We see that in the cheap text books (and the coming electronic text books), computer hardware, just about everything. Universities are about making money and spending it as cheaply as possible. Then there is the whole scratching the back of Alumni for donations in trade for exclusive deals, which is a monster in itself.

ianr
06-06-2012, 07:07 AM
JonW & Gravin, You ask for more MultiThreading in Layout
& Modeller
Sure,but isn't VPR all about MultiThreading Already?

Do you meaning MultiThreading whenever a 'Solver' flag occurs!

I can see Modeller tho'
better OGL & faster Booleans is good for this neglected part at least

gravin
06-06-2012, 08:26 PM
JonW & Gravin, You ask for more MultiThreading in Layout
& Modeller
Sure,but isn't VPR all about MultiThreading Already?

Do you meaning MultiThreading whenever a 'Solver' flag occurs!

I can see Modeller tho'
better OGL & faster Booleans is good for this neglected part at least

I'm always for optimization, software should always evolve to leverage the more powerful hardware evolving along side it. A big road block for me to dedicate time and effort into character rigging in Lightwave is the deformation and rig evaluation speed. I might be a little spoiled by Messiah in this regard. One advantage I'm seeing in LW over Messiah is how easy some things appear to be compared to having to use the expression system in Messiah. Setting up IK and some common constraints are very intuitive in Lightwave and the null shapes are great as I prefer to have 3d controls over the 2d armature system in Messiah. To be fair I haven't tried out LW 11, still getting comfortable with LW 10 before springing for the upgrade. VPR is the reason I'm devoted to doing all my rendering in Lightwave since lighting and material setup is such a joy. I just want faster everything, even if it's already fast, if there is a way to make it faster I think it's a worthwhile effort.

ianr
06-07-2012, 08:05 AM
Well Grav,
You couldn't better in ten than Rebel Hills rigger & maybe Eric's Maestro rigger
But I would contact Eric to see if he's going to bring out a Rev2 that will
work with rev11. I sure hope NT give him a hand.
Also TAFA (Tim Albee link) for facial is quick & I think the best joystick

djlithium
06-13-2012, 05:25 PM
no probemo.
Imho, the hub is certainly the most underestimate part of lightwave ( for the dev I mean).
I think the hub should be the core of lightwave managing modeling, shading,lighting and animation, render, image processing. So 5 master interfaces.
Using the hub this way and there will be no more need of double surface editor and image editor. No need to use memory to with 2 objects instead of 1.
I though lightwave CORE was planned like that ... How wrong I was !

Indeed, it was part of what we were "told" core was going to be more like, a kick *** central hub that you could attach lightwave and more to. But today the hub is largely whats wrong with lightwave on many fronts. It was a good idea (barely) at the time when NT's old old team came up with it but you are right - a unified (that doesn't mean unified app!) memory space system would be better.

medzo
06-16-2012, 06:16 AM
Hi!

In the next upgrade I would like to have an option to place instances like kray costum object - with a triangle polygon + twopoint poygon in y direction.

The benefit is that i can control the rotation and scale in modeler (with kray costum object you know where origin of instance will be, when with native lightwave polygon placement you always speculate where origin will be) so the placement is very accurate.

I know kray is still able to render its own instances, but i cannot see them in preview.

cheers!

cybernaut
06-20-2012, 02:56 PM
The ability to organize presets alphabetically would be superlative in Lightwave12

silviotoledo
06-27-2012, 05:34 PM
1. MOCAP KIT ( retarget and layer animation for editing purposes)

2. SKIN DEFORM/INFLUENCE OBJECTS ( actually possible through nodes, need optimization and a dedicated node ).

3. CLOTH/SOFTBODIES ( new one based on bullet and physX )

octopus2000
06-30-2012, 10:14 AM
i want the following

1. native lightwave 3d painting tools
2. native sculpting tools
3. multiple layers for the compositing tool instead of just 1
4. mocap tools inside lightwave
5. dynamic organic liquids inside lightwave
6. n gon support for sub D
7. better implementation of catmull clark

that's all i can think of for now.

vbk!!!
06-30-2012, 12:19 PM
This isn't really a "blue sky" thread so no "fluids" requests please. (It just isn't realistic to expect them to crank out fluids in a year or so.)

What real things do you think would most benefit LW? And let's put in one alternate.

jeric_synergy
06-30-2012, 01:37 PM
Seriously, if NewTek JUST cleaned up the interface, squashed the known bugs, and made the dox online and appendable, I would be very highly pleased.

octopus2000
06-30-2012, 04:34 PM

if nt was able to add fiberfx and bullet, why not fluids?

by the way what is a blue sky thread?

Dexter2999
06-30-2012, 04:47 PM
"blue sky" means anything in the world, as in "the sky is the limit"

This thread was meant to be more about realistic expectations. If I was to pick two from your list it would probably be 6 & 7. Some Pro users might argue that number 4 is just as attainable and more useful to them.

erikals
06-30-2012, 04:53 PM
yup, anyway, maybe the Turbulence 4D guy will make fluids his next project...

lwanmtr
06-30-2012, 04:57 PM
Having good fluids native would be nice

tischbein3
07-01-2012, 09:57 AM
Unification of LightWave is a non-starter. Unification for LightWave with all these functions this thread talks about here is irrelevant.

Nope it isn't, in fact its a very relevant topic and sorry if I'll sound a bit harsh on this:

- Some people seem to forget that we DO have modeling functionality in layout, without any significant performance and memory loss for the rest of layout since _9.0_.

- As far as I got things together from the official posts / own explorations in layout modeling land, the main problem integrating it NOW is the performance bottleneck on how layout evaluates and updates mesh information.
And this Bottleneck also affects other central parts of layout performance.

Unification is not going to get you ambelic faster.

The improvements during the 9 and 10 releases in the layouts _modeling_ and _surfacing_ functionality, (program structure and sdk wise), _do_ in fact allow you to create importers in a less painfull and faster way.

And btw, again if someone is willing to pay me for a month, integrating alembic into lw NOW, I would do it, its not rocket science.
(And I bet my 2 cents on it that there are at least 2 inhouse alembic plugins somewhere out there.)

erikals
07-01-2012, 10:09 AM
- As far as I got things together from the official posts / own explorations in layout modeling land, the main problem integrating it NOW is the performance bottleneck on how layout evaluates and updates mesh information.
[B]And this Bottleneck also affects other central parts of layout performance.

not from what i know, it's more of a coding issue...

btw, the M/L integration NT codename is "Valkyrie" ;]
i think... :° :]

 

Lightwolf
07-01-2012, 11:08 AM
The improvements during the 9 and 10 releases in the layouts _modeling_ and _surfacing_ functionality, (program structure and sdk wise), _do_ in fact allow you to create importers in a less painfull and faster way.

And btw, again if someone is willing to pay me for a month, integrating alembic into lw NOW, I would do it, its not rocket science.

The problem is, imho, that if you just write an importer for it (at least for the parts of Alembic that can be translated) you're giving away a large part of what Alembic is offering.
And no, it doesn't need a unified application. (Having said that, unification in general is certainly the only way forward in the future).

Cheers,
Mike

shrox
07-01-2012, 12:18 PM
How about a little paper clip that pops up to offer advice?

lwanmtr
07-01-2012, 12:58 PM

Hear, hear...lol

Dexter2999
07-01-2012, 01:46 PM
OT
I got a hacked version of MS Office that was in Chinese. It was largely useless as I don't know Chinese, but I did know the menus well enough to get to the Office Assistants and found they had one that the US version didn't have, the Monkey King. I found that library and installed it on my profile at work...people went NUTS!

Back on topic,
I found the Office Assistant to be a little obnoxious. As I think many people did, which is most likely why they got rid of it...then proceeded to "dumb things down" with the "ribbon" and the current interface.

However, with what has been mentioned previously, a simple icon with a question mark could pull up an overhauled interactive help document that has videos incorperated. Rethink the manual as a purely reference document and rebuild it as a reference/teaching document. AND DO NOT ASSUME THAT EVERYONE WILL BE ABLE TO ACCESS THE INTERNET!

vbk!!!
07-01-2012, 01:57 PM
if nt was able to add fiberfx and bullet, why not fluids?

by the way what is a blue sky thread?

how much time pasted from the first "hair request" and its implementation ?
And what about bullet ?
You're naive if you think to get an fluid native system in Lightwave during the 12.x cycle ...

IMO, Nt should work hard on a unified memory management in lightwave. And update the core of the program to allow the user to get more procedural control on his project.

erikals
07-01-2012, 02:53 PM

LW12 NDA! gosh, you should know better Shrox...! http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/eusa_naughty.gif

shrox
07-01-2012, 09:51 PM
LW12 NDA! gosh, you should know better Shrox...! http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/eusa_naughty.gif

No, the one for LW12 offers only torture as you try to close it...

tischbein3
07-03-2012, 04:14 AM
not from what i know, it's more of a coding issue..
Yes, and again heavy guesswork here, and as said before my opinion is more or less based on my own sdk experiments, some forum post comments.

The problem is, imho, that if you just write an importer for it (at least for the parts of Alembic that can be translated) you're giving away a large part of what Alembic is offering.

Sure it would be a combo of multible plugins working together. And since alembic is a pipeline tool, you certainly won't get it right for everyone, if it isn't custom tailored.

And no, it doesn't need a unified application.
Yes, and thats exactly what I didn't wanted to express:
I ment it the other way round. Rewrites for a unfied application do also work in favor for other parts. Like partial, stable and flexible (re-)initialisation of mesh data and its dependecies.

Gregg "T.Rex"
07-04-2012, 07:35 PM
I don't see anyone asking for one of the most obvious need LightWave has...

A new Lighting and Camera system, based on Real World lighting units and Real World camera settings.

For example, Dome lights should use HDRI maps for lighting and cast direct shadows from those maps and the Camera should response to light intensity through proper exposure controls, as used in real cameras.

Some examples:
VRay Dome Light (http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/200R1/light_params.htm)
Final Render Camera (http://www.cebas.com/wikka/wikka.php?wakka=CameraExtension)
or more exotic options:
Maxwell Camera (http://support.nextlimit.com/display/maxwelldocs/Camera+parameters)

Oh...
While at it, throw in Gamma Control separately for the Anti-aliasing engine... :)

T.Rex

AbstractTech3D
07-10-2012, 10:29 PM
I'd like to see a real par-to-par feature capable Motion Builder alternative built into the next LW.

Yes - that's a biggie.

But its also an opportunity waiting to be seized by either NT or Maxon.
Think about it. There is no competing product for that overpriced ($4k!) Autodesk software. (Yes there are cheaper 'Mixamo' type solutions, but they are apparently not at all in the same league). It is therefore currently a 'must have' for anybody doing significant mocap work.
If NT achieved such a capability inside LW - it would pick up a lot of market share, I bet. As well as get a lot of industry attention.

lwanmtr
07-12-2012, 02:51 AM
An equivelant package to Motion Builder that could even work in a pipeline directly with LW would be cool....oh and Mac compatible.

DesertRat
07-13-2012, 11:18 PM
Mine is pretty minor and humble...concerning hypervoxels...

Specifically, can NewTek incorporate a "switch" to turn hypervoxels black in the alpha channel, much like one can turn geometry into a mask in the Render tab by checking "Matte Object"?

Apparently this may have been an option before?...

http://forums.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124026&page=2

...approximately 8th post down by Mr. Rid, showing a screen grab from the past?...

I have Google searched and Forum searched for a solution, and have tested such solutions, but requires rendering twice and comping a new alpha channel(?)...hardly a time saver...

I'm still in 10.1 btw.

Apologies if the solution is staring me in the face :)

Thanks!

AbstractTech3D
07-20-2012, 07:26 PM
I'd also like to see:

- Transparent panels in Windows.
- Significant speed improvements in processing extensive nodal motion / displacement rigs.

When I got the upgrade to LW11, perhaps the single biggest 'value for money' aspect of the purchase I realised was the improvements in render speed (AntiAliasing min / max). Immediately I realised that my proposed hardware rendering needs (and consequently expenses) for my current extensive project were going to drop. So the upgrade to LW11 really has saved me money!

Similarly with my suggestions above:

Transparent panels sounds like it will reduce my need to purchase additional screens - and therefore a larger desk and office space - etc…

And faster processing of extensive nodal motion / displacement rigs… currently a multi-hierarchy rig with nodal everything referencing multiple control nulls etc - and this cloned or instanced many times grinds LW interface to a halt. I read somewhere a performance comparison between XSI ICE and Houdini concerning relative speeds of such extensively rigged setups. (XSI came out on top by a factor of about 2, I think). I'd really like to see LW hitting XSI ICE level performance.
(Of course, that's another biggie! Probably touching on rewrites of fundamental code and architecture). But again - would save myself money and make the exclusive LW proposition that much stronger. The real monetary value to the end user of speed in 3D software should not be underestimated!

Styler
07-26-2012, 04:38 AM
Guys, is possible to make a filter in SurfaceEditor for maps(UV, weight, vertex) like that "show only local maps for current object"? When i have many objects with unique UVs, it takes a lot of time to find suitable in huge list.

Lightwolf
07-26-2012, 05:17 AM
Guys, is possible to make a filter in SurfaceEditor for maps(UV, weight, vertex) like that "show only local maps for current object"? When i have many objects with unique UVs, it takes a lot of time to find suitable in huge list.
Possible, yes. But unlikely with the current architecture. LW simply doesn't know unless it inspects every single polygon and vertex of an object.

Cheers,
Mike

AbstractTech3D
07-26-2012, 05:41 PM
i would like to see, when rendering still frames to test an appropriate level of AA, each additive pass of a multi AA pass render viewable separately. So, for example, if I render out something with AA min/max values 1/16… that after 10 minutes waiting for that one render I can then selectively view the image with AA max values anywhere between 1 and 16. Instead of needing to then do another render at 1/8, then 1/12 etc...

Then I'm able to much more time efficiently pick an appropriate level of AA for my animation...

lwanmtr
07-26-2012, 06:39 PM
true that....maybe a function that will send each pass (or selected interations) to the image viewer so you can look at each one while it renders

bazsa73
07-26-2012, 11:44 PM
I would like to have a checkbox beside the background image in the composite tab to hide the reference BG image while rendering but still being able to preserve its settings when reloading the scene.

erikals
07-27-2012, 06:41 AM
Better / Faster AA

AbstractTech3D
07-28-2012, 01:24 AM
I would like instances to have independent deformation capabilities. This simplest implementation perhaps being playback of MDD files with independent offsets per instance (as DP Instance could originally do, with DPM files). Beyond that, independent nodal deformation of instances as is possible currently with standard object geometry.

This really would be lifting a lid on motion graphics possibilities.

Styler
07-28-2012, 04:29 AM
Possible, yes. But unlikely with the current architecture. LW simply doesn't know unless it inspects every single polygon and vertex of an object.
But each lwo has own UV scope, isn't it? Why wouldn't take this information from file or save it in separate structure in memory in object loading moment?

Lightwolf
07-28-2012, 04:36 AM
But each lwo has own UV scope, isn't it?
No, all vertex maps are global.

Also, node editors don't have an item specific context either - even surfaces don't until they are evaluated (think single same surface name on different LWOs but treated as one in Modeler/Layout). And then it's a context per evaluation.

Cheers,
Mike

Matt
07-29-2012, 04:05 AM
Useful thread, good suggestions, and many things we want too!

erikals
07-29-2012, 05:38 AM
 
Clip Map in Surface Editor...

 

erikals
07-29-2012, 06:38 AM
 
Layout > Modeler

Display correct Object 1 - http://youtu.be/FUM0voF-3u0
Display correct Object 2 - http://youtu.be/eFXJyhJJEts

 

erikals
07-29-2012, 07:16 AM
 
Select and Parent (like Maya)
http://forums.newtek.com/showpost.php?p=820143&post=820143

video > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnBCHA61Q1U

 

Gregg "T.Rex"
07-29-2012, 09:30 AM
 
Clip Map in Surface Editor...

 
You got that right...

And while at it, here are a couple more thoughts on the same topic...

http://www.sub-pixel.com/tmp/SurfEd.png

I Rearranged the Translucency to a more logical position and added Opacity (Dissolve), Clip Map and Displacement for a per-surface level control.
The most useful benefit would be the ability to save these attributes within the objects and not in the scene files...

Unfortunately, I doubt NewTek will spend any minute re-working the "old" Surface Editor anytime soon...

(...back to Vray...)
Cheers,
T.Rex

adk
07-29-2012, 06:49 PM
... I would love to see all those options on a per-surface level. Especially clip ! Sadly I don't think we'll see that any time soon ... or ever ?

evenflcw
07-30-2012, 08:07 AM
 
Select and Parent (like Maya)
http://forums.newtek.com/showpost.php?p=820143&post=820143

video > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnBCHA61Q1U

Your missing an important issue in this video and any current implementation. The fact that you will only be able to select-and-parent like with like, ie only items of the same type. Which is such a grave limitation that implementing selection-based commands in LW is next to pointless imho. What NT needs to do before we can get selection-based workflows is to revamp the selection system. I have previously suggested to simply turn the modes into filters. Ie rather than exclusive switches where only one can be active at a time, they become inclusive switches where they can be activated/deactivated independantly from one another. But that's only the GUI bit, who knows what goes on behind the scenes to prevent multiple item types from being selected simultaneously.

alexs3d
07-30-2012, 08:23 AM
i like to see weight painting in layout, for making distribution maps for instancing :)

a volumetric/atmosphere plugin or better hypervoxels

erikals
07-30-2012, 09:01 PM
 
true evenflow, didn't try that, that's right indeed... umf, a limit for sure...

i hope to see that too...

 

OFF
08-01-2012, 05:18 AM
Performance!!!
Performance - this is what is lacking in the basic package of its components. I had the opportunity today to compare the performance of the Cinema 4d R13(64bit) and Lightwave 3d v.11(64 bit) on scene with about ten million polygons and around 1 gigabytes of textures - I'm just speechless when the Lightwave's Layout, straining as space rocket, ten minutes open the scene file, and then Cinema opened the same scene in several seconds, and I could work with the scene with the included textures and it was so easy, as if I uploaded a simple primitive ...I love Lightwave, I work in this package about 14 years and would really like to see it developing in up to date.

Jim M
08-01-2012, 07:56 AM
1. NATIVE BUCKET RENDERER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2. Modeler update (mainly performance and congruence)

Jim M
08-01-2012, 07:57 AM
your missing an important issue in this video and any current implementation. The fact that you will only be able to select-and-parent like with like, ie only items of the same type. Which is such a grave limitation that implementing selection-based commands in lw is next to pointless imho. What nt needs to do before we can get selection-based workflows is to revamp the selection system. I have previously suggested to simply turn the modes into filters. Ie rather than exclusive switches where only one can be active at a time, they become inclusive switches where they can be activated/deactivated independantly from one another. But that's only the gui bit, who knows what goes on behind the scenes to prevent multiple item types from being selected simultaneously.

+1!

Greenlaw
08-01-2012, 11:20 AM
I don't think Clip Map should be a 'surface' property because it's not actually a surface property but I strongly agree that it should be saved in the object file, not the scene file.

The Clip Map panel should also have a Load/Save button just like Surface Editor.

G.

erikals
08-01-2012, 12:34 PM
it'd be the most efficient place though...

Gregg "T.Rex"
08-01-2012, 12:54 PM
I don't think Clip Map should be a 'surface' property because it's not actually a surface property but I strongly agree that it should be saved in the object file, not the scene file.

The Clip Map panel should also have a Load/Save button just like Surface Editor.

G.

Why clip maps cannot be a surface property?

Clip maps on a surface level, would be like having a non-filtered B&W Transparency map with IoR of 1.0, but without using the Transparency channel at all, having it free to use.

We can keep the current object level Clip map option AND add a Clip map channel for a surface level.

Anything is possible; first we need to start thinking "outside of the box", then see if there's enough time and resources to complete the goal.

I don't think a Clip Map surface property should be that difficult to add in the "old" Surface Editor, or adding the "regular" Displacement and Bump Displacement in the Surface Editor, as well. Then again, this is LightWave and i may be wrong...

dblincoe
08-04-2012, 02:36 PM
How about a pick-whip type of system. Select object 1 and pick-whip to select a parent. Could even happen right in the viewport. Object highlights as you hover over it with the whip. Perhaps when you release a selector pops up to parent or follow and then select which channels you want to effect and be effected by the parenting.

djlithium
08-04-2012, 04:00 PM
How about a pick-whip type of system. Select object 1 and pick-whip to select a parent. Could even happen right in the viewport. Object highlights as you hover over it with the whip. Perhaps when you release a selector pops up to parent or follow and then select which channels you want to be effect and be effected by the parenting.

Thats a very good idea, very fusion like and very much needed :)

lwanmtr
08-04-2012, 04:27 PM
sounds like the way 3dmax has it

MentalFish
08-04-2012, 04:35 PM
I want support for "retina" resolution on Mac and more integration/polish with Unity :) I'll help as much as I can on the Unity bit :)

djlithium
08-04-2012, 05:55 PM
sounds like the way 3dmax has it

Pick whips have been around for a long time in fusion, well before max was released I think.

overall though - I would prefer a scene wide nodal editing environment.

djlithium
08-04-2012, 05:57 PM
I want support for "retina" resolution on Mac and more integration/polish with Unity :) I'll help as much as I can on the Unity bit :)

push button as much as possible unity i/o would be really really great.
That and full midi I/O for VST! :)

dblincoe
08-04-2012, 06:57 PM
Pick whips have been around for a long time in fusion, well before max was released I think.

overall though - I would prefer a scene wide nodal editing environment.

Pick whips are handy. The thing that brought this up for me was adding follower to a couple of objects in a large scene. The object list is huge especially when you have bones in a few characters. Pick whips would allow you to quickly whip from one object to another and when hovering over the object a list of channels for that object would appear.

Handy little thing in After Effects.

dblincoe
08-04-2012, 07:13 PM
Two things that bug me and hopefully fixable:
1) the translate, rotate and scale coordinate/channels down by the timeline don't show their respective colors (red, green, blue) until they are turned off. Not very handy for people like me who often purge their brain of [much needed] information. Can the text be colored or the text in the field next to the buttons be the color that matches the handles?
2)in channel edit mode in the timeline I see that the keyframes show up as channels (duh) but is there a way to just select, let's say the keyframe for heading and drag it without having to turn off the other channels first? I can select the keyframe but it moves all channels together? Can the timeline be slightly taller and the keyframes for each channel selectable separately?
If you know a work around for these let me know!

AbstractTech3D
08-04-2012, 10:37 PM
1. NATIVE BUCKET RENDERER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+1 yes please!

Jumaku
08-17-2012, 08:20 AM
In order of importance:

1. Muscle system with collision deformer (so other objects could interact with skin) and skin self-collision (slide and pull)

[Cinema 4D has quite good muscle simulation system, maybe that will inspire ;)]

2. integrated liquid and fire simulation system would be good thing :) (with variable viscousity, density, bubbles, foam, liquid, motion blur support. Fire, smoke, air, gas simulator -> interactive with liquids)

tburbage
08-18-2012, 10:30 AM
Your missing an important issue in this video and any current implementation. The fact that you will only be able to select-and-parent like with like, ie only items of the same type. Which is such a grave limitation that implementing selection-based commands in LW is next to pointless imho. What NT needs to do before we can get selection-based workflows is to revamp the selection system. I have previously suggested to simply turn the modes into filters. Ie rather than exclusive switches where only one can be active at a time, they become inclusive switches where they can be activated/deactivated independantly from one another. But that's only the GUI bit, who knows what goes on behind the scenes to prevent multiple item types from being selected simultaneously.

Big +1
Having a decent viewport selection filtering system is useful, but the current implementation is a rigid contraint, and one which I think people coming from e.g. Maya, Max, or SI must find baffling.

tburbage
08-18-2012, 01:00 PM
Lots of good ideas, and many I agree with though I haven't "+1"ed all of them.

The two biggest areas of focus I would like to see for LW12 both fall under the broader goal of application modernization: architecture, and user interface. I think a clearly defined, steady and visible course of evolution in these areas is really important not only to holding on to current customers but to attracting significant numbers of new ones. The latter is very important to LW's future, and especally in light of the "LW is where the shots come together for final scene aggregation and rendering" objective so emphasized by Rob in the Siggraph presentations.

In the above, I'm including Modeler as a stand-alone application as well, regardless of what decisions are made in terms of integration or feature migration.

Like many fans of Modeler, I've long since found ways to fill the feature gaps, with LWCad and other 3rd party tools, and e.g. ZBrush, 3D-Coat, etc. externally. So I'd much rather see a focus on interface, user interaction, layering (sub-object) management system, etc. than on plugging tool gaps. Not "diss-ing" any proposed tool additions such as forecast for 11.5, but IMHO that's not where the focus really needs to be.

MentalFish
08-18-2012, 01:17 PM
So I'd much rather see a focus on interface, user interaction, layering (sub-object) management system, etc. than on plugging tool gaps. Not "diss-ing" any proposed tool additions such as forecast for 11.5, but IMHO that's not where the focus really needs to be.

Agreed, to some extent, but I'd say if they can afford to, have a dedicated team for framework improvement and one for filling the specific feature gaps. Perhaps thats my two things I would like to see the most :) not two features, but two teams.

Then we could possibly see nodal/procedural geometry generation in Layout and improved mesh performance in Modeler in v12, perhaps...

qwz
08-20-2012, 12:59 PM
Unification of geometry tools like EXTENDER and BEVEL in Modeler.
Unification of all other duplicating stuff.

AbstractTech3D
08-27-2012, 08:08 PM
I would like to be able to interrupt a preview being built, and playback the preview up to the point of my interruption.

Gregg "T.Rex"
08-27-2012, 08:45 PM
I would like to be able to interrupt a preview being built, and playback the preview up to the point of my interruption.

You already can...
Just hit Esc at the time you want to abort and then choose "Preview=>Play Preview".
It will play up to the interruption point...

Unless you are referring to something else than viewport previews...

AbstractTech3D
08-29-2012, 05:31 AM
You already can...
Just hit Esc at the time you want to abort and then choose "Preview=>Play Preview".
It will play up to the interruption point...

Unless you are referring to something else than viewport previews...

oh ok - I didn't realise that. Cheers!

Jim M
08-29-2012, 05:39 AM
1. Code optimising/rewrite. Would like vast improvements to geometry handling needed, for layout and modeler. I can move/deform/model 10mil poly objects around with ease in some apps. In lightwave the ceiling is very low.

2. Goto 1.

kfinla
08-30-2012, 05:04 AM
Here are two very practical requests I think would have big long term benefits as they mature as building blocks to bigger things.

1. 3d brush/paint system - A brush system in modeler and Layout is the foundation for many improved workflows. Painting and editing weightmaps, bone weights, pose space deformer etc, painting/sculpting FFX fur settings, basic mesh manipulating (inflate, push,pull, smooth). UV manipulation (see uvlayout), smooth, relax etc UV data locally. Paint instance placement, paint instance orientation, density etc., In my dreams i see this growing to brush based systems to intuativley control/edit particle systems (paint speed, birthrate, etc on motion path, and finally Lighting - paint highlights, or shadows on a model and have the lighting adjust and reposition to achieve that vs. the backwards way we work now. PS. And lastly ya you could paint colour info on your mesh/textures - but yes I see a brush system as a whole workflow option in just about all areas of content creation, not just to paint and sculpt.

2. Faster selection/interaction in modeler. Growing selections, selecting a face on a dense mesh, using bandsaw type tools in Modeler is dog slow. Using modeler is a constant dance of selecting and unselecting asset components and manipulating them. A huge speed up is needed here to make just working with data a fluid experience.

erikals
08-30-2012, 05:07 AM
1. 3D brush/paint system
Hurley showed a sculpt tool test in the iBounce (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=121487&page=51) thread, so it's clearly possible.

2. Faster selection/interaction in Modeler.
Yep.

...and let me add 3. Faster interaction in Layout.

 

alexs3d
08-30-2012, 05:10 AM
1. 3d brush/paint system - A brush system in modeler and Layout is the foundation for many improved workflows. Painting and editing weightmaps, bone weights, pose space deformer etc, painting/sculpting FFX fur settings, basic mesh manipulating (inflate, push,pull, smooth). UV manipulation (see uvlayout), smooth, relax etc UV data locally. Paint instance placement, paint instance orientation, density etc., In my dreams i see this growing to brush based systems to intuativley control/edit particle systems (paint speed, birthrate, etc on motion path, and finally Lighting - paint highlights, or shadows on a model and have the lighting adjust and reposition to achieve that vs. the backwards way we work now. PS. And lastly ya you could paint colour info on your mesh/textures - but yes I see a brush system as a whole workflow option in just about all areas of content creation, not just to paint and sculpt.

thatīs also one of my most wanted feature for lw 12, painting weights, painting instances, basic sculpt painting. :thumbsup:

raw-m
09-02-2012, 01:43 AM
I'm sure Presets have been mentioned but I'd like to see a preset shelf that is basically a cut down web browser hard wired to something like presetCentral.com (a little like kuler in PS). You can search and download from within the shelf and relevant images are automatically downloaded.

A lot more work in the way you browse and load presets would also be welcome. Append rather than replace, view by name, date, search...

In fact, viewports having a web browser feature in it for tutorials would be a great feature, especially for following tutorials where screen space is tight. Doesn't have to be a full browser, perhaps something linked to LWtv, or these forums?

AbstractTech3D
09-05-2012, 04:06 AM
I'd like the option when copying and pasting nodes to have the incoming connections also duplicated (preserved) into the resulting node copies.

AbstractTech3D
09-05-2012, 04:16 AM
Here are two very practical requests I think would have big long term benefits as they mature as building blocks to bigger things.

2. Faster selection/interaction in modeler. Growing selections, selecting a face on a dense mesh, using bandsaw type tools in Modeler is dog slow. Using modeler is a constant dance of selecting and unselecting asset components and manipulating them. A huge speed up is needed here to make just working with data a fluid experience.

I don't know much about paint systems… is it too much to ask for it to be animatable - so if I paint a stroke across a model - that it can be wiped on / off. And / or perhaps painting paths on geometry surfaces that can be assigned to control textures and item motions etc… And with animate-able control points along those painted paths? This thought after working on a complex model requiring UV unwrapping for application of a 2D animation - but obvious typical UV problems with seams and distortions need to be worked around. Could be solved much more easily if the 2D animation process was instead done as an animatable paint process.

erikals
09-05-2012, 04:25 AM
 
it's possible, you can do it now with a null, though slightly limited >
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH2ImaBe8yc
http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/textures/MarkerPen.html

optionally combine it with particle paint and you got a cool feature...
http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/textures/ParticlePaint.html

so yep, should be quite possible.

 

AbstractTech3D
09-05-2012, 04:56 AM

it's possible, you can do it now with a null, though slightly limited >
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH2ImaBe8yc
http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/textures/MarkerPen.html

optionally combine it with particle paint and you got a cool feature...
http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/textures/ParticlePaint.html

so yep, should be quite possible.

Yes, to some extent I have used these tools before, and they did come to mind for this job. A little bit fiddly though - and consequently really a bit beyond the usability required given the amount of topological ('2D') animation that needs to produced for this particular job, I think. I'd be hoping that an interactive topological painting or path definition process would be easier and quicker than animating a null somehow conformed to the geometry topology i.e a better work-flow. Probably unrealistic in the next 10 years, but I'd love to see the power and intractability of 2D After Effects applied to topological painting / animation. Layers, Masks, FX etc… Perhaps a more deeply developed AE link, whereby somehow (and I really don't know how - just brain dumping right now) a dynamically generated UV from the interactive topological painting process is shared with AE - which applies the desired composited paint etc… and sends it back into Layout… all real time…
??

Of course, thats half way towards turning LW into a co-joint compositing solution.

erikals
09-05-2012, 05:55 AM
 
some takes on it >

Animated Brush Stroke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4NZPj3Kky0

 

raw-m
09-05-2012, 07:22 AM
....forgot to mention, Modifier Stack that's also saved with the object for later tweaks. Pretty sure it was in Core so expecting to see it in LW12 :D

erikals
09-05-2012, 07:39 AM
Modifier Stack in LW12? :]
not sure, might require some heavy new LW code :]

raw-m
09-05-2012, 08:25 AM
Modifier Stack in LW12? :]
not sure, might require some heavy new LW code :]

Haha, yes but I don't care about that, I'm not a programmer!

PS. Doesn't that fall under the "Core Technology" mantra?

erikals
09-05-2012, 08:31 AM
me neither. ok, get on it programmers! :]

IronMountain
09-05-2012, 11:30 AM
For years I've wanted import/export functions that would correctly translate FBX and other formats quickly, easily, and completely. I've been away from 3D for a few years and I wonder: is there anything that will import a Maya or 3D Studio Max object, and generate the required separate image files? Any third party translation software I've used always loses the texture maps.

The other thing I've wanted for years is for Newtek to settle on an interface for LW and stop changing it. Avid figured this out years ago, and even advertised the fact that Media Composer had a stable interface. Sure you can customize LW's interface, but the tutorials and other teaching tools always use the default interface.

dblincoe
09-05-2012, 11:51 AM
For years I've wanted import/export functions that would correctly translate FBX and other formats quickly, easily, and completely. I've been away from 3D for a few years and I wonder: is there anything that will import a Maya or 3D Studio Max object, and generate the required separate image files? Any third party translation software I've used always loses the texture maps.

The other thing I've wanted for years is for Newtek to settle on an interface for LW and stop changing it. Avid figured this out years ago, and even advertised the fact that Media Composer had a stable interface. Sure you can customize LW's interface, but the tutorials and other teaching tools always use the default interface.
Been a user of LW since the early days and I don't think the interface has changed any (excluding Core of course). What exactly are you talking about?

LaughingVulcan
09-05-2012, 12:13 PM
Hmm.

Personally, I'd like, if do-able:

1. BandGlue - Get this to work nondestructively on UV's, so I can weed down polys after UVing, and NOT have to do the UV's over again for the area.

2. An easier, possibly interactive way of setting up UV seams & a nice tight UV map. Computers are good at calculating things. Let the ARTIST worry about where the seams go, and tweak that with what the computer shows as a result...

(If we could get greater control over 'Atlas Mapping', that COULD be helpful as well...controlling how it breaks/seperates things down into the 'islands'. Atlas has a LOT of UV potential, but NEEDS more lovin' to be REALLY useful.)

My 2 bits.

Be well, guys.

Greg

AbstractTech3D
09-05-2012, 02:55 PM

some takes on it >

Animated Brush Stroke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4NZPj3Kky0

Thanks Erikals! Good technique to know!

erikals
09-05-2012, 03:02 PM
http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/wink.gif http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/lwicon.png

nbdy
09-07-2012, 02:33 PM
I would like to see more motion graphics support. Especially a "sound effector" like tool/plugin. I really do not like using c4d but have to admit the sound effector is pretty cool.

karla521
03-23-2013, 07:54 PM
I would LOVE a Projection Camera in Modeler if the two programs can't be unified!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I would LOVE a Projection Camera in Modeler if the two programs can't be unified!!!

- - - Updated - - -

cyroz
03-25-2013, 02:28 AM
I,d love to see a complete rewrite/merge
As a long time user I always loved the separated apps, but it shows its defaults.
But as it stands now modeler tools in layout feels like workaround.
Modeler seems outdated, and the new tools in 11.5 are great but seem to be put over an ancient structure, imho it doesn't feel integrated.
I'd love a modern ui, better opengl performances and display, a rethink rewrite of the deformations core, the ability to edit morphes in layout as weight maps, etc... A global node structure, where you could acces everything, and by the way grouping and instancing nodes is a must have...
I'now convinced that can't be done without rethinking lightwave as a whole, and merging layout and modeler.

erikals
03-25-2013, 02:33 AM
Modeler might have lacks, yes, but it's hardly outdated imo...

a re-write is an interesting idea, but it takes a lot of careful planning.

Lewis
03-25-2013, 02:39 AM
Modeler might have lacks, yes, but it's hardly outdated imo...

It's destructive workflow is outdated not just tools itself. New tools are good and modern (interactive finally) but same destructive not-connected paradigm is still present which makes it outdated.

erikals
03-25-2013, 02:49 AM
even though parts of Modeler is outdated, doesn't mean that Modeler itself is outdated in production.
sure it has it's things, but what Modeler app doesn't?

Modo doesn't have stacks / history, does that make it outdated?
Maya does have stacks / history, but it crashes a lot because of it, does that make it outdated?

not saying it shouldn't be fixed, i just wouldn't use the word "outdated" on the app itself.

OFF
03-25-2013, 03:21 AM
1. improved algorithm for brute force rendering the noiseless global illumination in a animation. may be something similar to Maxwell.
2. improve speed of viewport manipulation for the modeler on objects with big polygon?textures count- at least at the level of Modo, and even better as in Cinema 4D.
3. may be sculpt tool (?)

lwanmtr
03-25-2013, 03:29 AM
We have GoZ, which is a nice system for working with sculpting in Zbrush.

The GI Algorithm and Modeler Viewport speed I totally agree on :)

Lewis
03-25-2013, 04:10 AM
even though parts of Modeler is outdated, doesn't mean that Modeler itself is outdated in production.

Not entirely true, in modo it's not called stack per se but you can model/deform with nulls (Locators) and stack one on top of another and add falloffs and bend, and... many modeling tools in NON-DESTRUCTIVE way (it can be animated and turned off at any time). You can't do that in LWModeler and that makes it very different i.e. fully destructive (let alone problems with undo - Make a BOX, make a Sphere, Give then different surfaces, Copy one surface to another in surface editor, now try to UNDO that :D...)

Hail
03-25-2013, 06:00 AM

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

.. and I'd also love to have a timeline in modeler for animating modelling parameters if the two programs cant be unified :D

erikals
03-25-2013, 06:18 AM
Not entirely true, in modo it's not called stack per se but you can model/deform with nulls (Locators) and stack one on top of another and add falloffs and bend, and... many modeling tools in NON-DESTRUCTIVE way (it can be animated and turned off at any time). You can't do that in LWModeler and that makes it very different i.e. fully destructive (let alone problems with undo - Make a BOX, make a Sphere, Give then different surfaces, Copy one surface to another in surface editor, now try to UNDO that :D...)

yep, not saying i don't want stacking or more reliable undo functions... :]

hey, btw... Siggraph is in 4 months! :hey:

Siggraph 2013 ... 23-25 July :boogiedow New LightWave Features, RTW!

Lewis
03-25-2013, 06:25 AM
Siggraph 2013 ... 23-25 July :boogiedow New LightWave Features, RTW!

Well i'd like to be that way and we see LW12 super cool preview at Sigg2013 but somehow i think NT might not have somethign so advanced/great to show at Siggraph this year like they had last with great show and 11.5. IMHO LW 12 will need much more time than LW11.x if they really plan to do what's been promised/told to us back then. Unless they have some super secret project they worked on all along 11.5 which made tons of rewrite/update/features for 12 on a side separately from 11.5 I don't see how that could happen with DEVs number they have. BUT hey we all like nice surprises so why not :D.

probiner
03-25-2013, 06:27 AM

Maya does have stacks / history, but it crashes a lot because of it, does that make it outdated?

not saying it shouldn't be fixed, i just wouldn't use the word "outdated" on the app itself.

Modeler is outdated... The comfort factor one might have with it and some new and interesting tools don't change that paradigm.

In many points all modeling apps are outdated or without improvements. Modo just like LW doesn't have a stack or soft selections and it's destructive at his Core, but ...
- It's a unified environment where you can model to the camera, change vertex maps viewport controls to the camera,
- An integrated snapping system, constuction plane, costum axis and origns.
- Working Catmull-Clark
- Consistent UVs and poplygon normals.
- Very comfortable displays, shaders and wireframes.
- Multi-Resolution sculpting, Mesh and Texture Sculpting, Painting (though these are not it's best things they can do a lot)
- Tool Pipe presets and interactive edits.
- Deformers.
- etc...

So even though it's not complete and also has a lot of lacks, it is quite updated and innovative. One could point out though that LW has a lot of lacks but the 3rd parties offer so many things that LW could be considered more flexible than Modo, but requires a lot of trying and trying with 3rd parties. Also to be honest I've seen a couple of Modo/LW users saying that it's like they still are faster doing things in LW, maybe because of habbit, dunno, but that Modo quite shines when the complexity rises.

Still outdated doesn't mean one can't do good things with it, and you know it. Lewis himself does great things; him saying that just reveals the pain he goes through to do them.

Cheers

souzou
03-25-2013, 08:49 AM
1. improved algorithm for brute force rendering the noiseless global illumination in a animation. may be something similar to Maxwell.
2. improve speed of viewport manipulation for the modeler on objects with big polygon?textures count- at least at the level of Modo, and even better as in Cinema 4D.

+1

Lewis
03-25-2013, 08:56 AM
Progressive Rendering like FPRIME (and Maxwell and some others). That would allow us to render till very last moment of deadline and always have best possible quality done "on time" :).

drako
03-25-2013, 09:46 AM
first we need a unified software....i think its time to move on and having a better interface maybe with icons also just to satisfy new customers new users they come from schools.
In the 3d windows i think that we should have a possibility to lock or unlock outliners,scene editors,graph editors etc just to make very simply our own layout for working.
Then we have.....
-DEFORMERS first LATTICE and then all the other.For sure a new rewritten like SGFERTILIZER for making some cool Motion Graphics.
-PARTICLES rewritten ready for editing.
-REAL CLOTH SOLVERS via BULLET or whatever but real cloth...
-EVERY PARTICLE,DYNAMICS,BULLET DYNAMICS,HAIR,INSTANCERS have to react with its other.
-FIBER FX MORE MORE MORE.
-LIBRARY OF EVERYTHING MATERIALS,FFX PRESETS,CLOTH PRESETS etc
-GENOMA ROCKS so we need MORE RIG PRESETS and editing in the new united interface.
-FLUIDS at last we need them.Just a start is something.
-SCULPTING BASIC TOOLS is a plus but i m also pleased with GOZ
-REALTIME EDITING in Modelling Tools and in Animation.
-ALSO NEW CLEVER MARKETTING AND ATTRACTING MORE VFX ARTISTS.
If we want LW in production we need to concetrate in new works and not in old productions
that LW artists have made.Im sure that new VFX works can be found and we
can show what Lightwave can do.
I think that opening the software for new render engines such as Octane,Pixar's RMS,
Arnold, 3Delight, Maxwell, and Vray is very cool.
But i think that we have to keep in the LW community strong programmers with cool
tools and we dont have to show them the exit.I remember situations as Lukasz Pazera now
programmer with modo community and Joe Alter now programming tools for maya community.
I dont want to mention Allen Hastings,Stuart Ferguson and Fori Owurowa.
Imagine if Dennis left the building...
I cant understand how Blender with no cost and with no money in the end of 90s has grown up
and Lightwave with cost doesnt growup and we are stack at 2 softwares.
But i m optimist with Rob,Lino and Matt we can do miracles.
SO MOVE ON.....
LETS LIGHTWAVE 12

geo_n
01-26-2014, 11:16 AM
Almost two years now since the thread was started. I would add my vote for a liquid sim for lw at this point. A lot of request for it anyway.
Dreading another project now that needs more than the usual splash liquids that I do in blender. Not so complex but I dread using blender over and over for this. Few weeks of hell probably. :D
In another discussion a good idea by someone was why not hire or pirate the blender developer who did the code for the fluid sim in blender? He gets paid(real money not donations) and newtek gets a fluid sim.
3dcoat hired Raul to develop liveclay which has similarities to blender sculpting feature that the same developer created. Pixo hired sculptris developer and killed sculptris which was free that time.
Fight fire with fire.

Greenlaw
01-26-2014, 11:56 AM
I agree. I've had to create lot of water/ocean fx lately and I usually wind up faking it with the usual cheats. It would be nice to be able to use real water sims directly inside of LightWave some day.

erikals
01-26-2014, 12:22 PM
RealFlow, the rental version should fix it, and it doesn't cost that much for paid projects.

Blender is alright, i just think the current water fluid simulation is not all that.
if LightWave is to do water fluids, i think they have to go about it the right way...
edit> having said that, the new Blender SPH looks interesting. (link below)

so maybe this is an option?
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?138766-SPH-fluid-simulations

prometheus
01-26-2014, 12:28 PM
erikals, if the Lightwave group have the resources and has that on the agenda for the nearest updates, it will be great..
I just do hope they look at a solution that will intergrate with either existing particle system or a new one.
I wouldnīt like to see a system that donīt work with bullet hard body or soft body or not working with flocking.
If they can pull it off and making it work with the new stuff in bullet and flocking...thatīs when the magic will happen.
a liquid stream of vortex flood carrying bullet hard body parts, and how the swirls and bouyance affects the floating hardbodies will determine how those hard bodyparts will crash
and splitter.

Michael

OFF
01-26-2014, 10:04 PM
My main wish:
improved performance GI renderer, especially GI for animation!

tischbein3
01-27-2014, 06:50 AM
Almost two years now since the thread was started. I would add my vote for a liquid sim for lw at this point. A lot of request for it anyway.
Dreading another project now that needs more than the usual splash liquids that I do in blender. Not so complex but I dread using blender over and over for this. Few weeks of hell probably. :D
Actually I rather want a _better_ / more flexible fluid implementation into layout, than the restricted blender approach. period

In another discussion a good idea by someone was why not hire or pirate the blender developer who did the code for the fluid sim in blender?
http://www.ntoken.com/

Fight fire with fire.
Still seeing blender as a competition ?

geo_n
01-27-2014, 07:02 AM
Actually I rather want a _better_ / more flexible fluid implementation into layout, than the restricted blender approach. period

http://www.ntoken.com/

Still seeing blender as a competition ?

I'll settle for anything liquid right now :D
The guy worked for scanline. I don't think newtek can afford him. Blender devs on the other hand work for getting their names on the map, for donation, to land a good job. Those guys newtek can afford to hire as consultants like how it is now.

Lightwolf
01-27-2014, 07:06 AM
The guy worked for scanline. I don't think newtek can afford him. Blender devs on the other hand work for getting their names on the map...
That is the guy who wrote the Blender liquid sim...

Affording him isn't the main problem - getting him out of academia again is.

Cheers,
Mike

Edit: @tischbein3 - sorry ;)

tischbein3
01-27-2014, 07:06 AM
I'll settle for anything liquid right now :D
The guy worked for scanline. I don't think newtek can afford him. Blender devs on the other hand work for getting their names on the map, for donation, to land a good job. Those guys newtek can afford to hire as consultants like how it is now.
Thats the guy who wrote the original ELBEEM fluid sim used inside blender. :)

oh lightwolf beat me

dulo
01-27-2014, 08:14 AM
1) Layout: Do away with extremely long drop-down menus... it makes any function that involves picking an object, bone etc a lot more tedious than it should be. One should be able to type in part of a name of any item and have it condense the list down to items that contain those letters. This addition would make custom rigging, and any animation that involves motion plugins so much easier.

Man this is overdue for years. I always get a rage fit when working with real production scene which do not consist of 3 cubes and 2 spheres.
A typical scene in our studio has about 10.000 objects and working with those drop downs is a nightmare which could be fixed so easily.

prometheus
01-27-2014, 09:06 AM
I recall jascha www.jawset.com and when he was in the first iterations for turbulenceFD, he mentioned the liquid fluid stuff, but then I think he stated it was more complex than he thought and put that aside, not
quite sure..but I think thatīs what he said.
So whoīs the man? to pick a fight:)

Michael

geo_n
01-27-2014, 05:39 PM
That is the guy who wrote the Blender liquid sim...

Affording him isn't the main problem - getting him out of academia again is.

Cheers,
Mike

Edit: @tischbein3 - sorry ;)

So Newtek can afford to hire him! :D
Maybe lwvers can try to contact him by email and beg to write a fluid sim for lw. I'll start the begging today.

erikals
01-27-2014, 05:58 PM
Man this is overdue for years. I always get a rage fit when working with real production scene which do not consist of 3 cubes and 2 spheres.
A typical scene in our studio has about 10.000 objects and working with those drop downs is a nightmare which could be fixed so easily.

did you see? >
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGn8CvDrGJ4

erikals
01-27-2014, 06:12 PM
I recall jascha www.jawset.com and when he was in the first iterations for turbulenceFD, he mentioned the liquid fluid stuff, but then I think he stated it was more complex than he thought and put that aside, not quite sure... but I think thatīs what he said.

yup >
http://forum.jawset.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=97

Lightwolf
01-27-2014, 08:08 PM
So Newtek can afford to hire him! :D
That's not what I wrote. I said it's not the main problem. Getting somebody out of academia is, away from the freedom of research.

Cheers,
Mike

Matt
01-27-2014, 10:43 PM

Check the "Setup" tab > "Assignments" group. Might help.

djlithium
01-27-2014, 11:20 PM
My two things list.

GPU enabled in and out of core Renderer that is unbiased and ******* fast.
New volumetric system that allows for creation of water, smoke, fire liquids.

prometheus
01-28-2014, 02:12 AM
1.New or improved volumetric system for voxels with geometric volumetrics ref-modo volumetric on geometry... ref-houdini openVDB and cloudFX, and ogoTaiki full volumetric atmosphere environments.
Also ref to my thread about "I need your feedback on how to improve on hypervoxels"
2.A liquid fluid solver...working with the bullet system.

3.out of the (two things list)..UI docking, with collapse and expand menus and shelfes with drag and drop tools, assets as you see fit
4.sculpt tools in modeler,layout
5.weight paint tools in layout, and expanding growth animation toolsets.
6.General improvement in huge meshes,displacements,and particle handling(coocking and settling of 6-8 million particles or more)
Two..things...oh well.

erikals
01-28-2014, 02:27 AM
My two things list.

GPU enabled in and out of core Renderer that is unbiased and ******* fast.
New volumetric system that allows for creation of water, smoke, fire liquids.

you've been watching Octane too much... http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/047.gif

http://vimeo.com/76742205

dulo
01-28-2014, 04:59 AM
did you see? >
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGn8CvDrGJ4
Well most of the time I need to select dropdowns in the node editor ..
for really big scenes I switch to search and replace in the scene file with VIM, because its faster than using the dropdown in layout ..
How do you do it ??

prometheus
01-28-2014, 05:12 AM
yup >

Thatīs around four years now of pre-production...It would be really nice if itīs jascha whoīs gonna do it, especially thinking about a liquid fluid solution that works with smoke and fire to some extent.
Have to wait and see what he says ..if He actually has been working underground so to speak, or if he has left those plans on hold.

Perhaps he needs more collaboration from the lightwave team, or if they could find other guys and then also incorporate jascha with it, and not letting him be standing all alone for what I think
might be a huge task, if it is on the carpet so to speak for jascha, and the lightwave team..I do hope they can pull out resources to make it happen.

Michael

prometheus
01-28-2014, 05:16 AM
Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
I recall jascha www.jawset.com and when he was in the first iterations for turbulenceFD, he mentioned the liquid fluid stuff, but then I think he stated it was more complex than he thought and put that aside, not quite sure... but I think thatīs what he said.
yup >

Thatīs around four years now of pre-production...It would be really nice if itīs jascha whoīs gonna do it, especially thinking about a liquid fluid solution that works with smoke and fire to some extent.
Have to wait and see what he says ..if He actually has been working underground so to speak, or if he has left those plans on hold.

Perhaps he needs more collaboration from the lightwave team, or if they could find other guys and then also incorporate jascha with it, and not letting him be standing all alone for what I think
might be a huge task, if it is on the carpet so to speak for jascha, and the lightwave team..I do hope they can pull out resources to make it happen.
Might be tricky if Jascha would need different development for the liquid solution in order to combine it with bullet items, and at the same time releasing a liquid solution for cinema4d with itīs own dynamic system..I donīt know really?

erikals
01-28-2014, 05:26 AM
afaik, C4D has a water fluid plugin from before, that it might not help... :/

- - - Updated - - -

Well most of the time I need to select dropdowns in the node editor ..
for really big scenes I switch to search and replace in the scene file with VIM, because its faster than using the dropdown in layout ..
How do you do it ??

the way you do it... http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif
yep, it needs addressing...

dulo
01-28-2014, 05:35 AM
Check the "Setup" tab > "Assignments" group. Might help.
Sorry, I don't get it. How would this help me in this case ? ( see screenshot )

best martin

hrgiger
02-02-2014, 09:41 AM
Well Im for a unified application (but more importantly tools that communicate with each other) but I dont think we will see unification with LW12, its going to take a long time.

But for LW12 I would say 2 important things I would like to see are massive speed ups in geometry handling and deformations.

Id also like to see a robust hair and fur solution. Whether it be through a seriously revamped Fiberfx or a new solution altogether.

zapper1998
02-02-2014, 10:27 AM
I like to see in LW 12....

What I would love to see is all Windows and Panels " SIZABLE " ....

Like the Node Editor window and the Surface editor for example...

Mike

hrgiger
02-02-2014, 12:27 PM
repeat post deleted.

JohnMarchant
02-08-2014, 10:08 AM
Hypervoxels update, modeler update.

I would also like to see multi threading through out LW, but that's 3

JohnMarchant
02-08-2014, 10:12 AM
first we need a unified software....i think its time to move on and having a better interface maybe with icons also just to satisfy new customers new users they come from schools.
In the 3d windows i think that we should have a possibility to lock or unlock outliners,scene editors,graph editors etc just to make very simply our own layout for working.
Then we have.....
-DEFORMERS first LATTICE and then all the other.For sure a new rewritten like SGFERTILIZER for making some cool Motion Graphics.
-PARTICLES rewritten ready for editing.
-REAL CLOTH SOLVERS via BULLET or whatever but real cloth...
-EVERY PARTICLE,DYNAMICS,BULLET DYNAMICS,HAIR,INSTANCERS have to react with its other.
-FIBER FX MORE MORE MORE.
-LIBRARY OF EVERYTHING MATERIALS,FFX PRESETS,CLOTH PRESETS etc
-GENOMA ROCKS so we need MORE RIG PRESETS and editing in the new united interface.
-FLUIDS at last we need them.Just a start is something.
-SCULPTING BASIC TOOLS is a plus but i m also pleased with GOZ
-REALTIME EDITING in Modelling Tools and in Animation.
-ALSO NEW CLEVER MARKETTING AND ATTRACTING MORE VFX ARTISTS.
If we want LW in production we need to concetrate in new works and not in old productions
that LW artists have made.Im sure that new VFX works can be found and we
can show what Lightwave can do.
I think that opening the software for new render engines such as Octane,Pixar's RMS,
Arnold, 3Delight, Maxwell, and Vray is very cool.
But i think that we have to keep in the LW community strong programmers with cool
tools and we dont have to show them the exit.I remember situations as Lukasz Pazera now
programmer with modo community and Joe Alter now programming tools for maya community.
I dont want to mention Allen Hastings,Stuart Ferguson and Fori Owurowa.
Imagine if Dennis left the building...
I cant understand how Blender with no cost and with no money in the end of 90s has grown up
and Lightwave with cost doesnt growup and we are stack at 2 softwares.
But i m optimist with Rob,Lino and Matt we can do miracles.
SO MOVE ON.....
LETS LIGHTWAVE 12

Not allot them mate :):)

jeric_synergy
02-08-2014, 11:33 AM
UNDO has got to be #1.

kfinla
02-11-2014, 02:00 PM
I haven't used LW modeller for anything significant in years (unless you count using the fracture function for bullet). I don't think I'm alone with that statement. So I would much rather see fluids, muscles, anim/rig/deformer, hair, particle and instancing behavior updates. I'd rather the focus continue to be on LW layout unless, there is some massive update to modeller - the whole "3rd powers" plugin suite should be built in to LW 12 . Otherwise it is merely just catching up to other apps I replaced LW modeller with years ago. Same goes with 3d paint, sculpting etc. There are superior apps for that I already know and own. I don't need multiple apps that do the same thing.

Newtek should also offer a non-commercial version of Chronosculpt - not as cheap as educational version. I think it would sell well with a hobbyist edition.

Aktuba
02-16-2014, 01:14 PM
#1 UNDO! – contextual (one set of undo steps for each "part", Layout-window, Graph, Dope, Item settings...) or universal, but not the unpredictable thing we have now. One small mistake in the Graph Editor and I'm often reloading the whole scene! Or I click UNDO and wonder if something did undo or not...
#2 Some GUI for projection maps, making them easy to position and scale in Layout
#3 Savable presets for Radiosity and other Render settings.
#4 Better UV-tools
#5 Layout view should approximate ambient radiosity so I don't have to work in the dark...
#6 Some nice snapping and ways to copy keyframes in the Graph Editor, like in After-Effects

Hopefully none of these are features I've missed! No need to unify the apps on my behalf...

lwanmtr
02-16-2014, 02:40 PM
#2 Some GUI for projection maps, making them easy to position and scale in Layout

#5 Layout view should approximate ambient radiosity so I don't have to work in the dark...

You do know that your can use VPR for both of those?

Aktuba
02-16-2014, 03:19 PM
You do know that your can use VPR for both of those?

Yes, but VPR crashes Layout on my Mac unless I have very simple scene, also it is often slow...

lwanmtr
02-16-2014, 03:25 PM
Have you tried 11.6.2? maybe vpr will be stable?
It can be slow with radiosity...specially with many lights.

Which Mac you running?

Aktuba
02-16-2014, 03:43 PM
Which Mac you running?

I'm on 11.6 (2723), is there an 11.6.2 out? I will download it and try, it might be better, thanks. I have an iMac Intel Core i7 with 16 gigs of RAM – runs pretty smooth eve though it's a few years old :-)

lwanmtr
02-16-2014, 03:53 PM
as long as it still works.....hehe :)

Simon-S
02-18-2014, 05:21 AM
I'd really like to see the addition of smoothing groups. Currently to get a soft/hard edge within the same surface you have to unweld, creating extra unwanted vertices - not ideal in a game engine when you have to watch your poly/vertices count.

Currently in Unity you get an error saying the exported object fbx 'has no normals' when exporting from LW, even if you have a vertex normal map applied - please please please fix this!!

mummyman
02-18-2014, 08:20 AM
I know I've posted this a TON...but the ONLY thing I miss about XSI, is their render pass system with overrides. It wasn't 100 percent predictable...meaning it would crash sometimes...but Lightwave is just so powerful the way it is. Render passes would be a huge upgrade. So if they go that route...I can't say if they would keep their pricing so low. I would think t hat would be a huge restart. The 3rd party developers are taking cracks at it the way Lightwave is coded now and have done an amazing job with what they have to work with. But, for me... those still aren't built-in and work to my workflow. Now that Lightwave can handle TONS and TONS of objects and instances, it's becoming more tedious to split passes out sometimes. Just my 2 cents.

Paul_Boland
02-18-2014, 02:09 PM
My two dream features in Lightwave 12...

1. Improved Sliders:
I posted a thread in this forum recently asking for this. I want to see the Sliders improved! I've been asking for this since Lightwave 8! Right now, in a quad view display, sliders appear in all four view ports and that's just insane! Sliders clutter the screen and are not fun to work with. I would love to see Sliders appear in their own floating window that the user can move around and close/open when they want to use the Sliders. PLEASE, Newtek, give Sliders an update!!

2. Fluid Dynamics:
I love the new physics in Lightwave 11 and what would really top that off is Fluid Dynamics. Let us be able to create water, liquids, flowing, running, falling, splashing, etc.

paulhart
02-18-2014, 03:22 PM
Render passes would be a huge upgrade. So if they go that route...I can't say if they would keep their pricing so low. I would think t hat would be a huge restart. The 3rd party developers are taking cracks at it the way Lightwave is coded now and have done an amazing job with what they have to work with.
Have you explored Passport?? I know that it isn't an "internal solution" but we all may go old and gray waiting on Lightwave. Just my two(2) cents.

mikkelen
02-23-2014, 09:09 AM
1) Performance updates in Layout, faster bones, deformations and IK-chains. Multithreaded and optimized. Work with nVidia, AMD and Apple to ensure good OpenGL performance.

2) Evovle Bullet implementation to include hindges and rag dolls...

ck96
02-23-2014, 11:50 AM
Update the modeller already! It's 10 years behind.
It is by far the most frustrating thing to deal with coming from other programs.
Get some Nurbs curves in there.
fix the text tools and the text bevels (is open type supported) ?
Get relational modelling in there and the ability to go back and edit shapes .
Get a decent history going in there as well.
Hexagon, of all things, has this why doesn't lightwave?
it makes no sense to be stuck in the year 2000 with that modeler.

raw-m
02-23-2014, 11:59 AM
More batch-enabled copying/pasting/removing of motion options, displacements etc. it's simple enough to select many items but you still have to go through a long list one at a time to add plugins.

As mentioned, an Undo system that makes sense - including: if I move an item and then undo, please also remove the keyframe!

mikkelen
02-23-2014, 01:43 PM
Update the modeller already! It's 10 years behind.
It is by far the most frustrating thing to deal with coming from other programs.

Hmm, the modeller got some decent updates in 11.5 and what other programs...? The only other polygon-modeller that has pushed LightWave aside is Modo.

Both Modeller and Layout needs updates, both programs need speed improvements (move a dense object in Modeller, or run several deformations in Layout and the systems slows down to a stop)... that's not very competitive.

ck96
02-24-2014, 07:55 AM
Hmm, the modeller got some decent updates in 11.5 and what other programs...? The only other polygon-modeller that has pushed LightWave aside is Modo.

Both Modeller and Layout needs updates, both programs need speed improvements (move a dense object in Modeller, or run several deformations in Layout and the systems slows down to a stop)... that's not very competitive.

Yes a gizmo ten years after everyone else.;) But at least it's there now.
Still no way to go back and change shapes and lofts etc like in Cinema 4d(also a long 10 years with that capability.)Still no history and a freebie(yet buggy) Hexagon for example can do some things Lightwave can't.
I think these things can be implemented fairly quickly.

I'm not saying it's a bad modeller, far from it,but it's a bit stodgy in its approach and interface and can be
slow to use and get to grips with.User friendly and Lightwave don't quite go together.I'm still getting used to it.

Yes Modo is much more modern interface, like Silo, much quicker to get up and running in.
I think you need a more unified set of palettes in modeller where everything is integrated more together.
(numeric stats,layers object selection etc)
I'm surprised at the deformations being slowish in Layout in Electricimage for example things move quite briskly.

kfinla
02-24-2014, 09:35 AM
Modelling is the constant process of making and dropping selections. It is painfully slow to work with "heavy" - not really by today's standards.. and grow selections - select edge loops.. instant feedback in other apps.. takes multiple seconds.. or beachballs in modeller. That is a problem when that is modelling at is essence! hence why I moved to other packages to model in years ago.. because I would still be waiting for my edge loops selection to finish winding its way through my models :P

I use LW for particles - TFD , lookdev, etc. FBX.. the modelling component can be replaced for very cheaply with a 3rd party app.. if not free if you want to go to that extreme.

Photogram
02-24-2014, 10:14 AM
My need is being able to paint and sculpt on any model..
Zbrush is a very powerfull software but it is a bit tedious to learn and i don't have time for this... If we can get some basic brush preset in modeler that will be so usefull.. especcially if it is pressure sensitive with a pen tool :)

mikkelen
02-24-2014, 10:35 AM
Hmm, seems like a lot of you have the same experience as me. Even though you enjoy LW's approach and user interface, it's troublesome to use LW in production on heavier stuff due to it's (extremely?) slow speed. New features does not really matter, unless the speed is improved to something we can expect from a modern application...

dulo
02-24-2014, 11:09 AM
Hmm, seems like a lot of you have the same experience as me. Even though you enjoy LW's approach and user interface, it's troublesome to use LW in production on heavier stuff due to it's (extremely?) slow speed. New features does not really matter, unless the speed is improved to something we can expect from a modern application...
My words .. atm I am playing around with clarisse and I have to tell you that clarisse laughs at scenes which make lightwave choke. Just take 10.000 Nulls with attached instances in an hierarchy ..
More speed in the object Tree !!!

davidsenna03
02-24-2014, 03:28 PM
A muppet-friendly network rendering solution. As simple as dropping an client application onto each render node, and allowing the master render node to find them over the local network. This must be possible.

Besides the render passes I do agree that LW needs a better network rendering solution. For those who have ever used VUE must recall how easy it is to get the render farm running.... Vue's downfall.. it only comes with 5 render nodes.

hrgiger
02-25-2014, 03:24 PM
Well I have already listed my 2 items. But now I feel compelled to wish for one additional thing. And that is for LW3DG to do whatever they need to do to work with Viktor Velicko in getting his new Nurbs surfaces/polygons to render in Layout when they arrive in LWCAD 5.

kfinla
02-25-2014, 03:53 PM
When do people think we'll see a LW 12 sneak peak/reveal.. Sigg - as in july/Aug .. or sooner?

hrgiger
02-25-2014, 05:45 PM
When do people think we'll see a LW 12 sneak peak/reveal.. Sigg - as in july/Aug .. or sooner?

Not that soon.