PDA

View Full Version : Particles shooting from an objects surface

pdp editor
04-17-2012, 12:26 PM
I have a Star shooting across a scene and I want sprites to spray from one of its points. I have tried sticky surface, parenting the emitter to the object with less than desired results because the emitter becomes seperated from the star as time goes by and it is very obvious near the end of the animation that the two are not one. key framing sucks because its not fluid and cause the sprites to look jumpy.

All help appreciated.

SplineGod
04-17-2012, 01:45 PM
You can make the object itself a particle emitter. Textures can be used to determine where the particles emit from on the object surface. The texture can even be an animation.

pdp editor
04-17-2012, 03:16 PM
Hello Larry, thanks I think I can figure that out.

Pls PM me please, [email protected]

thanks

pdp editor
04-17-2012, 04:18 PM
Is there a Tut somewhere on how to do this? I just went through the manual and its not much help with what i want.

XswampyX
04-17-2012, 04:31 PM
The particle emitter with texture map doesn't seem to work correctly, I can get it to emit more with more bias to one point, but not stop random stars popping out at other places.

http://youtu.be/HieEC_0KWJI

erikals
04-17-2012, 05:17 PM
had that problem once back, darn if i remember how i fixed it...
(though you can of course parent another shaped object to the main object to cheat it)

pdp editor
04-17-2012, 05:21 PM
Thanks thats not really what im looking for, my stars fly into the scene then land with a trail of sprites streaming behind their points, the sprites fade off as the stars land.

erikals
04-17-2012, 06:43 PM
should be several was to do it, try a life time texture for example...

Mr Rid
04-17-2012, 06:49 PM
Copy the point(s) of the tip(s) and make a separate, unseen emitter object, parented to the star, with Nozzle set to Object Vertices.

... I want sprites to spray from one of its points. I have tried sticky surface, parenting the emitter to the object...

Sounds like you should be able to just parent emitter to the object (dont need Sticky) and position it on the point you want to emit from.

pdp editor
04-17-2012, 09:55 PM
no dice, none of the suggested ideas worked; I still get the sprites seperating from the star at the end of the animation which blows the entire effect. strangely it comes back to it but i need it to stay at the tip of the star in order to be believeable.

bazsa73
04-18-2012, 12:09 AM
why dont you just stop emission near the end? You can keyframe the emission rate, so they slowly stop emitting by the end there's no more loose sprite hanging around.

pdp editor
04-18-2012, 12:22 AM
The problem is not loose sprites, its the emitter (Parented to the stars point) losing its parenting and going in the other direction for about 15 frames creating a huge gap between the star and the emitter while still producing sprites; then rushing back into position near the end of the animation.

Mr Rid
04-18-2012, 01:40 AM
Then there is something going on that is not explained, like maybe deformations on your star?

example scene 103593

prometheus
04-18-2012, 02:13 AM
probably something in the particle motion or to exreme motions on the star?

I have no issues with smooth line trails that have no motion, check the Etc tab and partcile motion and position blur, make sure to have enough particles so crank that up alot so you wont run out of particles.

Mov attached...sample of particle line trails...maybe not at all what you are looking for?
points copied from the star end points and pasted to another layer and named emitt and the parented in modeler.
In layout opened properties/dynamics and added emitter, the emitter is set to object vertices, birth rate of 1600/sec. particle limit of 20000

Michael