PDA

View Full Version : Animate a roll of paper?

Builtdown
04-17-2012, 09:35 AM
Hi,

I need to do an animation that has a roll of paper covering an object.
Basically there is a 3 meters wide roll of paper (diameter about 40cm) and a pile of tree trunks. A machine holds the roll at the end of the pile and starts rolling the paper over the pile.
How would you animate this?

Thanks for the possible tips!

HolyMonkey-
04-17-2012, 11:01 AM
Hi,

I need to do an animation that has a roll of paper covering an object.
Basically there is a 3 meters wide roll of paper (diameter about 40cm) and a pile of tree trunks. A machine holds the roll at the end of the pile and starts rolling the paper over the pile.
How would you animate this?

Thanks for the possible tips!

I am no animation Guru so take my tip with a pinch of salt but a tip I can give is to split this up into as many short sequences as you can as its easier to hide and get away with things.

You could get away with simple weight mapping to bones if this is suppose to be quick but that would look pretty ugly. I dont know if this is possible but perhaps you could attach a plane to a toilet paper roll, and add a cloth modifier to it as you move and if you want the roll itself to get smaller then just use a morph and scale it smaller.

XswampyX
04-17-2012, 11:35 AM
You could also try a morph map animated via a gradient image, parented to your roller object.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/PaperRoll.jpg

SplineGod
04-17-2012, 01:51 PM
I would treat the roll and the paper coming off the roll as two separate objects. The roll can be used as a reference object for a texture that reveals the paper. The diameter of the roll could shrink as it "unrolls". The texture that is using the roll as a reference object could be used to drive a morph as was said or to drive a clip map/transparency map.

XswampyX
04-17-2012, 04:23 PM
Here it is animated. Looks a bit too smooth. :)

http://youtu.be/BVsMQWHF6aQ

HolyMonkey-
04-18-2012, 10:30 AM
Here it is animated. Looks a bit too smooth. :)

http://youtu.be/BVsMQWHF6aQ

Could you create one of your awesome youtube videos setting this up and creating a short animation ? D:

jeric_synergy
04-18-2012, 10:41 AM
You could also try a morph map animated via a gradient image, parented to your roller object.
Swamp, could you attach a full-rez version of that same image to another post please? It got squeezed down to illegibility.

tnx!

DrStrik9
04-18-2012, 12:17 PM
swamp, could you attach a full-rez version of that same image to another post please? It got squeezed down to illegibility.

Tnx!

+1

XswampyX
04-18-2012, 12:41 PM
Here you go. :)

The item info node is the roller position.

The image is your gradient.

Morph map points to the paper morph after it has landed on the trees.

Hope it's big enough!

jeric_synergy
04-18-2012, 02:38 PM
Here you go. :)

Hope it's big enough!
Thanks, swampy, much obliged: your posts are always so informative I like to get all the benefits from them that I can! :thumbsup:

Builtdown
04-19-2012, 08:13 AM
Thanks for the tips.

I ended up to make it manually with morphs.